• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Creative and aggressive trade target: Anthony Rendon

Just now, AngelArcher said:

Which is starting to validate what he did last year, elite back end reliever. Rendon has been elite for 1/2 season. Talk in this thread would make one assume he's on Arrenado, Bryant, Machado, Donaldson level. He's not. 

Rendon has had seasons with a WAR of 6.6 and 4.1

You might want to rethink that 1/2 season comment you keep throwing out. 

14 minutes ago, Lou said:

Rendon has had seasons with a WAR of 6.6 and 4.1

You might want to rethink that 1/2 season comment you keep throwing out. 

I don't consider that elite level when it's been inconsistent and boosted by defense. Simmons has had similar WAR seasons. I don't consider him an elite overall player. Elite defensively, maybe the best? Yeah sure, but not elite overall. 

the numbers can be parsed left and right.  At the end of the day, a team with playoff/WS aspirations isn't going to trade one of it's best players for relievers and prospects.  

If Rizzo somehow had the balls to do something like that, it absolutely has to work.  Otherwise he get filleted by fans and fired by ownership.  

What wouldn't get him fired is trading prospects for a high end reliever or two.  We have a much better chance of getting a Ken Giles type deal from WSN for Bedrosian than we would Rendon.  There a chance we could get Victor Robles for Bedrosian.  There is zero chance of us getting Rendon even if it somehow makes sense.  

22 hours ago, Blarg said:

No, Chuck. You don't let go of your coat controlled stud 3rd baseman. That is gross overpay for a reliever that contributes about 1/3 of the games for one inning. 

You pick up relievers with prospects not top performing daily players. 

What did the Yanks get for Chapman last year?

21 hours ago, AngelArcher said:

I don't consider that elite level when it's been inconsistent and boosted by defense. Simmons has had similar WAR seasons. I don't consider him an elite overall player. Elite defensively, maybe the best? Yeah sure, but not elite overall. 

Other than the OP, (who did so to state that he isn't) nobody has used that term to describe Rendon. 

You are arguing against a point that hasn't been made. 

22 hours ago, AngelArcher said:

The year his WAR was 6.6, his oWAR was 5th highest in the NL. 

1 hour ago, Lou said:

Other than the OP, (who did so to state that he isn't) nobody has used that term to describe Rendon. 

You are arguing against a point that hasn't been made. 

Who cares about the term being used. My point is everyone is treating him like a top tier, super star, elite, etc... player. I said he's had good seasons before, but nothing like this. In a year where the offensive breakthroughs have to be met with at least a little skepticism. 

Look, the trade will never happen, but I'm with the OP that it is a creative way to help both teams. Yes the Nats can trade prospects for relievers, but we as Angels fans should know that continuing to weaken your farm to go "all in" isn't very wise for sustained success. Why not trade from your major league surplus to get a more balanced team and keep your future in tact. 

5 hours ago, AngelArcher said:

What happened the other years? Also that year he had an OPS+ of 125. Was that even top 30?

It's s stupid argument to have because you have already said you don't value his defense.  He's been at least a 4-6 win player in his two full seasons he's played and on pace to top those this season.  

9 hours ago, AngelArcher said:

Who cares about the term being used. My point is everyone is treating him like a top tier, super star, elite, etc... player. I said he's had good seasons before, but nothing like this. In a year where the offensive breakthroughs have to be met with at least a little skepticism. 

Look, the trade will never happen, but I'm with the OP that it is a creative way to help both teams. Yes the Nats can trade prospects for relievers, but we as Angels fans should know that continuing to weaken your farm to go "all in" isn't very wise for sustained success. Why not trade from your major league surplus to get a more balanced team and keep your future in tact. 

Nobody is treating him as an elite superstar.

You are arguing against nobody. 

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

It's s stupid argument to have because you have already said you don't value his defense.  He's been at least a 4-6 win player in his two full seasons he's played and on pace to top those this season.  

If he continues to have a monster season, he'll show why WAR shouldn't be the end all be all stat. His WAR total will only be 1-1.5 higher than in 2014, yet this season will trump that year by miles. Also, his other seasons wouldn't even have reach 1 WAR extrapolated to a full season. 

Now analyze all if Bedrosian's seasons other than last season.

Then do all of Norris' seasons prior to this year. That might be a little more difficult since he's been on FIVE teams in the past 3 years.

Compared to the guys that were proposed in this trade Rendon is a first ballot HOFer 

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

I never said I don't value his defense. Only when it comes to WAR I can't take it at face value, when defensive metrics aren't 100% reliable.