• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

About that second wild card...

We're now three games behind that second wild card, but a full five games in the loss column.

Two teams ahead of us, Kansas City and Tampa Bay. We're tied with Texas, so this weekend series is meaningful. A sweep would not be good. We lose a few more games in the standings and then there are seven teams ahead of us for that spot.

Heading into the second half of the season with pitchers who may be cleared to throw sometime in the next decade, and 'hitters' who seemingly still don't have a clue, but with a possible savior by the name of Trout on the way back. Will he need some games to get his timing back, etc?

I'm thinking sellers as this point. July could be an ugly month in the won-loss column.

Yeah, I checked the July schedule for the Angels in the seccond half last week and it is not going to be easy since they will face teams that have winning records at this point in Tampa Bay, Washington, Boston, and Cleveland. I could see them falling out of Wild Card contention really fast with the way this team is built. Shaky starting pitcher and inconsistent offense. The good news is that's Trout's best month of his career is July. OPS in July from 2012-2016: 1.259, 1.108, .846, 1.323, and .869. And last season, he still had a .435 OBP in a July that was considered "bad" for him. He might still hit .380 with 10 homers in just 14 games this July, even with a long layoff.

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

We're now three games behind that second wild card, but a full five games in the loss column.

Two teams ahead of us, Kansas City and Tampa Bay. We're tied with Texas, so this weekend series is meaningful. A sweep would not be good. We lose a few more games in the standings and then there are seven teams ahead of us for that spot.

Heading into the second half of the season with pitchers who may be cleared to throw sometime in the next decade, and 'hitters' who seemingly still don't have a clue, but with a possible savior by the name of Trout on the way back. Will he need some games to get his timing back, etc?

I'm thinking sellers as this point. July could be an ugly month in the won-loss column.

If the Angels are within 10 games of the wild card at the trade deadline, they should consider trading for Jason Vargas and give him a seven year contract for  180 million.

This team has been incredibly resilient this season. I thought theyd be toast once Trout went down but they've battled to stay in it. I think if the rest of the guys can keep up the production once Trout comes back and who knows maybe Albert can have his classic 1 good month they could stay in it to the end. I would still like to see them trade away a few spare parts at the deadline (Revere, Norris)

2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

I'm leaning this way as well. This doesn't look like a team capable of going on a sustained winning role. If you can get decent prospects for the vets, move them. I'd say the only untouchables are Trout, Simmons, and Meyer (only because we have so few decent cost controlled pitchers).

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

And just because they are sellers now, doesn't mean they can't contend the next few seasons.

Contine to make the right moves, continue to scout Latin America, continue to have balanced drafts (high ceiling and high floor), and hope for some pitching health in 2018 and beyond.

Yeah, I agree.  This team will be competitive earlier than some here think.

31 minutes ago, Glen said:

It might be the right time to trade Calhoun.

I hate to say it, but i agree.

Ive seen people on here siggest grabbing another outfielder and putting him at 1B. That would be silly. A huge part of his value is his defense. 

If outfield bats are whats more available, trade him with his glove and get value for that other than waste it for a bat that lets face it, wouldnt stand out a ton at 1B anyway.

I am not impressed with ANY of the teams that are ahead of us or just behind us in the WC standings. Including us.

We might luck into a WC spot but I just dont see the tools to beat Houston, Cleveland or Boston, even with incredible luck in a five game series.

Is it worth being a buyer at the deadline? I don't know. I doubt it. We gotta keep rebuilding.

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

I'm leaning this way as well. This doesn't look like a team capable of going on a sustained winning role. If you can get decent prospects for the vets, move them. I'd say the only untouchables are Trout, Simmons, and Meyer (only because we have so few decent cost controlled pitchers).

I would keep Bridwell. I think he's going to be a gem. Great location on his pitches and cool and composed on the mound.

3 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

The Astros, Yankees, Red Sox weren't pushovers either, and we beat them with our injured SP and without Trout. Bring it on. If we had anything worth selling maybe. I'm OK selling Escobar, Espinosa, Revere, Valbuena, and EY Jr., I just doubt we would get much in return. Oh and hands off the farm system.

we don't have the starting pitching to make a sustainable run.  Meyer, Ramirez and Bridwell could get hot, but they are essentially rookies and are going to be inconsistent.  Nolasco and Chavez just aren't that good.  

then, you top that off with struggles from Pujols, Calhoun, Cron, Valbuena and Espinosa.  BTW, for the the kudos we've been shedding on Maybin, his ops is down to .732 after going 7 for his last 52 with 3bb and one double.  

There depth in the pen right now but there are quite a few of these guys who haven't exactly been consistently this good over their careers.  

At the end of the day, there's a lack of talent where any down years or injuries cannot be absorbed to the extent that they are happening.  

I would love to see them get at wild card slot.  But I wouldn't be willing to risk the opportunity of infusing talent into the system unless it was more of a sure thing. 

The only thing we can hope for is that the picture becomes crystal clear over the next 16 games.  One way or another.  

35 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

we don't have the starting pitching to make a sustainable run.  Meyer, Ramirez and Bridwell could get hot, but they are essentially rookies and are going to be inconsistent.  Nolasco and Chavez just aren't that good.  

then, you top that off with struggles from Pujols, Calhoun, Cron, Valbuena and Espinosa.  BTW, for the the kudos we've been shedding on Maybin, his ops is down to .732 after going 7 for his last 52 with 3bb and one double.  

There depth in the pen right now but there are quite a few of these guys who haven't exactly been consistently this good over their careers.  

At the end of the day, there's a lack of talent where any down years or injuries cannot be absorbed to the extent that they are happening.  

I would love to see them get at wild card slot.  But I wouldn't be willing to risk the opportunity of infusing talent into the system unless it was more of a sure thing. 

The only thing we can hope for is that the picture becomes crystal clear over the next 16 games.  One way or another.  

Nolasco and Chavez aren't good, period. Ramirez and Meyer both have shown flashes of being good starters but both just need to work on their consistencies. 

49 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

If we fall out of it quickly its hard to see too many guys on this team playing well enough to be worth selling off. Norris is probably the only guy who might be able to bring back something valuable, aside from him you are looking at having to move a core piece.

Parker Bridwell a bright spot, a gem? @fan_since79, Bridwell is another Ramirez: glorified rotation filler who only looks good because he's surrounded by even worse pitchers. It is totally a case of the prettiest girl at a dive bar at 2am on a Tuesday night looking great relative to the competition, especially with last-call beer goggles. 

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

We're five games behind that second spot in the loss column.

If we're eight or more games back come the last week of July, I would definitely be selling some spare parts.

You can't be sellers on Trout, Simmons, Maldonado, or Calhoun. Maybin is a toss up, he has been a good leadoff hitter with speed and a good defender, and LF has been a black hole for years, I say you keep Maybin if you can extend him. If not trade him. You CAN"T trade Pujols (no takers). The rest of team is up for grabs but I doubt they will bring much of a return.

PS Keep Meyer, Bridwell, Ramirez, Shoemaker, Richards and Skaggs at least until they are healthy and we can see what they have left. The Bullpen has been solid I would hate to break them up. Alvarez, Morin and Street OK.

When Ramirez was being considered for a starter before spring training, most here (including me) thought it wasn't a good idea.  Now not only is he is in the rotation, but arguably our best pitcher.  

At this point the Angels should sell. I don't think they will get much in return.