• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why doesn't Trout have at least one Gold Glove?

48 minutes ago, KevinJ14 said:

The two Kevin's.

Kiermaier and Pillar

This ^^^^

Plus there are other possibly outstanding CF's in the game including Almora, Hamilton, and the Royals prospect Starling is supposed to be a tremendous defender in CF. Troutstanding is correct that eventually one day later in his life Trout may find better luck with GG's at one of the corners.

However Trout is so good that he may sneak a CF GG in here somewhere.

He is a perfect example of how good you have to be to win that award as a center fielder.  Early in his career he wouldn't take the best routes to balls which was why I preferred Bourjos in center.  Even if he took bad routes he would catch up to most balls because of his speed.  Now days he takes much crisper routes to the ball.  I don't know what he will have to do to win the award.  He has even improved his arm, but it hasn't helped him get there.  He might have to make highlight real after highlight real catches in order to be considered.  He is amazing, but those guys certainly aren't worse defensively. 

Part of it is advanced stats.  They don't like Trout.  What I didn't get is how his dWAR was so much lower than guys like Kiermaier and Pillar in 2015.  He had zero errors and got to more balls than any CFer in MLB.  I also remember seeing a statcast list late that year that put Trout #2 in the league in route efficiency.  He also made that insane catch over the wall that is better than any catch the two Kevin's have ever made or likely will ever make.

Keirmaier had more assists and DPs and had nearly as many put outs as Trout in like 200 less innings.  Meaning his range was much better then Trouts (which is saying a lot). So I get why he won the GG.  Still not sure how his defense was as good as dWAR suggests relative to Trouts.  Pillar had a much higher dWAR despite having the same amount of assists and no DPs in about 100 less innings.  

I think in the past Trout may have gotten the GG due to his offensive performance combined with his defense (see: Derek Jeter), but recently there has been more of a shift towards advanced metrics which is a good thing.  Plus guys that are mostly defense tend to lay themselves out often creating more highlight reel plays.  Trout just doesn't do that anymore for the most part, which is also a good thing.  No point in getting injured.  I think part of what makes him so great is that he maintains one of the best ranges in CF despite not diving for balls.   Purely off of getting a good jump, solid route running, and speed.

7 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

The award has lost credibility from me years ago. Like when Cespedes won the award 2 years ago! Yeah, Cespedes won it, not kidding!

the standard for unbelievable gold gloves wins goes to rafael palmeiro, the old first baseman for the rangers. he won a GG while playing in something silly like 30 games at first base.

Trout has a weak arm for center field. Tonight he didn't even attempt to throw out a runner that just rounded second, headed for third and Trout had already fielded the ball in shallow center. He gave up on what should have been a makeable play. 

5 hours ago, CALZONE said:

Assists. Plain and simple. 

agree.  When he first came into the league, his range was good enough and he would make quite a few wall scaling highlight reel grabs.  But teams could run on him with ease.  His arm was below average.  Then, in 2013 and 2014, he got a little sloppy and lost some cred when Bourjos displaced him to LF.  

In 2015, he started to play more shallow and his arm improved to avg.  But with the shallower play, it made his arm seem even better.  Since then, he's been above average overall, but not the best.  

Another observation, and this is just one of mine, is that he doesn't charge balls on the ground with all his speed.  He's a little slow to get into his throwing position.  

I don't think he's ever going to win a GG.