• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Maybe we shoulda just held onto these guys...

Hector Santiago Has Derailed For Twins

Posted by Off The Baggy , 07 June 2017 · 853 views
After the month of April, Hector Santiago turned the calendar owning a 2.43 ERA for the Minnesota Twins. He'd made five starts and owned a 2-1 record for his efforts. Given the results, there may have even been a line of people ready to question whether or not he was an "ace." Then reality set in, and regression hasn't just gone towards the mean for Santiago, it's been straight up mean to him.

Early on in the season, Santiago danced around danger, and has peripheral numbers that suggested his career norms were much more indicative of who he was. Despite the sparkling ERA, his FIP still didn't view him kindly, and a .276 BABIP seemed to be doing him wonders as well. For a sinkerballer that gives up a ton of longballs, Santiago had allowed just two, and had done a good job of avoiding damage.

Fast forward to where we are now, and Hector Santiago has made eight more appearances (seven starts). The results have been nothing short of ugly. There's the 7.64 ERA, the .910 OPS against, an ugly 24/20 K/BB ratio, and a ridiculous 12 HR allowed in just 35.1 IP. Still compiling just a .255 BABIP, Santiago is just watching his mistakes blow up as the ball leaves the park. What's even more worrisome, is we probably haven't seen the slide quit.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Lou said:

Update: since last we heard about Santiago, he made 2 more starts for a combined total of 5.1 innings and a 10.13 era 

he was then put on the DL for upper back pain.

on Sept 1st he was transferred to the 60-day DL 

So in other words Nolasco is better?

Just now, Lou said:

No clue what he has to do with my comment 

We acquired him for Santiago.  And Lou you do know what it has to do with your comment.  I'm giving you a hard time because you hate Nolasco, but in the past couple of weeks he's been one of our better performers.  I still trust him more than Scribner. 

21 minutes ago, Stradling said:

We acquired him for Santiago.  And Lou you do know what it has to do with your comment.  I'm giving you a hard time because you hate Nolasco, but in the past couple of weeks he's been one of our better performers.  I still trust him more than Scribner. 

The trade, which I liked, is a different topic altogether.

I don't hate Nolasco, I think he's been a terrible pitcher and the numbers prove it. In his las 6 starts he's managed to pitch a whopping 31 innings. How's that for your "innings-eater"? He also has an ERA of 5.81 with a whip of 1.68

i trust him as far as Eckstein can throw Bartolo 

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

I don't hate Nolasco, I think he's been a terrible pitcher and the numbers prove it. In his las 6 starts he's managed to pitch a whopping 31 innings. How's that for your "innings-eater"? He also has an ERA of 5.81 with a whip of 1.68

The trade, to this point, is a big yawn....Of the 3 pitchers involved, Nolasco has been the most productive, considering health and results...he hasn't been great by any measure but better than Santiago for sure and Meyer just can't stay healthy....he is a non factor until he proves he can stay healthy....if he can pitch like he did in 13 starts this year for a full season (or more), Meyer can totally change the narrative of the trade...

20 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Nope. Maybe we should have kept this guy.  The Angels could be sitting on three or four WS rings.

joe maddon.jpg

How do we get 3 rings?  He didnt ein his first until last year.  And that was only when he dominant talent.  The takent on tjis team was severely flawed since 2009.

On 4/18/2017 at 8:08 PM, Lou said:

Do you know something about Marte and Cron you'd like to share with the group?

Yea, Marte stinks and Cron carry a ball club for weeks at a time. If given every day AB can hit at least 25 HR a year. He plays above average defense. He needs his confidence, and to know if he slumps he won't be benched or sent down. He is not a player that can be platooned and still be a good hitter especially playing only against the few LHP that teams will face. He needs to play everyday to stay focused. He has shown this ever since the All Star Break.

6 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Yea, Marte stinks and Cron carry a ball club for weeks at a time. If given every day AB can hit at least 25 HR a year. He plays above average defense. He needs his confidence, and to know if he slumps he won't be benched or sent down. He is not a player that can be platooned and still be a good hitter especially playing only against the few LHP that teams will face. He needs to play everyday to stay focused. He has shown this ever since the All Star Break.

ded.gif

14 hours ago, Lou said:

Update: Last 7 starts:

6.23 era

1.73 whip

Santana is the only pitcher I really regret losing - he's been incredibly steady since leaving Anaheim. Wouldn't have been quite as painful if not for the fact that Dipoto pretty much just gave him away. I know he didn't have much trade value at that time - but that return was shit.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Santana is the only pitcher I really regret losing - he's been incredibly steady since leaving Anaheim. Wouldn't have been quite as painful if not for the fact that Dipoto pretty much just gave him away. I know he didn't have much trade value at that time - but that return was shit.

The real issue was that at his worst he was still better than either of the two guys Jerry brought in to replace him ..  Hanson, Blanton.   

13 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The real issue was that at his worst he was still better than either of the two guys Jerry brought in to replace him ..  Hanson, Blanton.   

That was a really weird, and terrible, offseason. Hindsight really makes it look worse, but even at the time none of those moves made a lot of sense.