• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Maybe we shoulda just held onto these guys...

11 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

We're paying Nolasco 12 million for an ERA+ of 82 this year. we couldn't find a guy to do that for 5 million? Have a hard time believing that

Getting rid of him will be addition by subtraction for sure

Scribner could probably do that for $550,000.

Hell, let me take the mound. I'll do it for a whiff of Trout's jock strap. I'll be like Colon with a 60 mph heater and a "spit" ball.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Scribner could probably do that for $550,000.

Maybe. Scribner's FIP of 7.34 doesn't exactly scream he'd be much better. 

And then you need to find another arm to replace Scribner on the depth charts.

Guys like Nolasco don't get paid to pitch better than a 4.50 ERA - they get paid because they eat innings over the course of a season and keep you from burning out younger arms with more long-term value.

I saw a stat last night showing how Ricky and Chavez counted for 50 of the teams starts - our injuries have been so frequent that those two still have counted for 1/3rd of our games started. They're just as much a reason we're in this as anyone - you can't say they've kept anyone from getting starts. Wright? Banuelos? Aforementioned Scribner?

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Guys like Nolasco don't get paid to pitch better than a 4.50 ERA - they get paid because they eat innings over the course of a season

The problem with that is that he hasn't done either - era of 5.19 and has averaged 5.5 innings per game. 

His era hasn't been under 4.50 since July 1st. Since then, our innings eater has made 12 starts for a total of 60 innings, with an era of 6.45, whip of 1.68 and ops of .903

41 minutes ago, Lou said:

The problem with that is that he hasn't done either - era of 5.19 and has averaged 5.5 innings per game. 

His era hasn't been under 4.50 since July 1st. Since then, our innings eater has made 12 starts for a total of 60 innings, with an era of 6.45, whip of 1.68 and ops of .903

4.56 ERA as an Angel. 40 GS, averaging close to 6 IP during that time. 

He did his job in April (4.13 ERA, 5.2 IP average), again in June (4.45 ERA, 6 IP average) and was one bad start away from doing the same in August (5.17 ERA, bit over 5 IP average) - part of his 'appeal' to is that you can leave his vet ass in there when he's getting shelled and the game is out of reach and save an inning or two from the pen for the rest of the series. For those same reasons, his ERA is also gonna suck because, like we saw last night, it's easy to pull his ass early when you have a full pen instead of having him work his way out because you may be better off going with a bullpen game.

I don't disagree that the overall result is pretty 'meh' but expectations for a guy like Nolasco should be pretty predictable at this point in his career. It sucks that he's leading the team in starts, but would we have really been better off if those starts had gone to Wright, Scribner, Banuelos?  

I don't really like Nolasco but it's hard for me to really be ticked off about his performance when he really has been who he's been his whole career - eating innings and sucking half the time. It's not his fault we've had to count on him to lead the team in GS and be our most consistently durable arm who we have to count on as our 'horse'.

On September 8, 2017 at 8:31 AM, ANAHEIMBOB said:

I pick Cleveland to win the W.S. this year. If Napoli had a good series last year,  Cleveland would have won.

On September 8, 2017 at 0:51 PM, Tank said:

so then having maddon would have been pointless.

well done on destroying your entire argument about him.

Wow. 

Bob's entire reason for existing on the message board has been not only been discredited, but completely blown up by.....

Bob. 

17 hours ago, totdprods said:

4.56 ERA as an Angel. 40 GS, averaging close to 6 IP during that time. 

He did his job in April (4.13 ERA, 5.2 IP average), again in June (4.45 ERA, 6 IP average) and was one bad start away from doing the same in August (5.17 ERA, bit over 5 IP average) - part of his 'appeal' to is that you can leave his vet ass in there when he's getting shelled and the game is out of reach and save an inning or two from the pen for the rest of the series. For those same reasons, his ERA is also gonna suck because, like we saw last night, it's easy to pull his ass early when you have a full pen instead of having him work his way out because you may be better off going with a bullpen game.

I'm sorry, but I don't consider "a bit over 5.1 ip average" an innings eater. Not even close. Also, I'm not referring nor interested in his career Angels' stats. I'm concerned with this season, and more importantly, his current (lack of) production. 

You mention his one bad start in August (I guess you consider his 5 ip/5 er as good) . How about if we take out his first (and best) start in August? His Augustt numbers are now:

6.04 ERA

1.74 WHIP

.311 BAA

.379/.553/.933

He is terrible. 

Edited by Lou