• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Maybe we shoulda just held onto these guys...

38 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

One dimensional tag is unfair 

What other tools is he above average in aside from power? Or even average?

There's nothing wrong with being a one-dimensional player, especially if you're as strong in that one tool as Trumbo is, but our needs required something with more balance or excellence in a tool other than power, such as speed, defense, average, OBP. 

Trumbo is one dimensional. He has power and that is it. If he doesn't hit for power, the O's really wasted their money big time. Personally, I would not be surprise if they end up wasting money on him since he's still very streaky. So streaky that his good pop still might not make it up for how bad he is in terms of hitting for average and getting on-base.

41 minutes ago, totdprods said:

There's nothing wrong with being a one-dimensional player, especially if you're as strong in that one tool as Trumbo is, but our needs required something with more balance or excellence in a tool other than power, such as speed, defense, average, OBP. 

Exactly.  

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I think saying he excels in one tool is a better description of Trumbo. Dimension is a poor choice of words imo. There's many ways Trumbo can help his team win a ballgame.

8 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

There's many ways Trumbo can help his team win a ballgame.

These are all major leaguers so on any given day they can make a great catch or do something none of us could ever do on a ball field.  That being said, compared to major league ball players, these guys are above average at one skill and below average at other parts of the game overall.  Kudos to them for being so good at that skillset that they get paid $7 million (Escobar) or $13 million if you are Trumbo. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

These are all major leaguers so on any given day they can make a great catch or do something none of us could ever do on a ball field.  That being said, compared to major league ball players, these guys are above average at one skill and below average at other parts of the game overall.  Kudos to them for being so good at that skillset that they get paid $7 million (Escobar) or $13 million if you are Trumbo. 

You have Escobar on the brain ... give it a rest.

51 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

You have Escobar on the brain ... give it a rest.

Understand baseball and then I will consider giving it a rest.  You think that everyone is great at everything they do, which simply isn't correct.  Escobar and Trumbo are very similar, although I would prefer Trumbo because he is a smarter player that runs better. 

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Understand baseball and then I will consider giving it a rest.  You think that everyone is great at everything they do, which simply isn't correct.  Escobar and Trumbo are very similar, although I would prefer Trumbo because he is a smarter player that runs better. 

I could say the same thing about you. 

7 hours ago, totdprods said:

Maybin is outslashing Trumbo so far this year.

But yeah, Trumbo's deal wasn't really that bad, and even though he's very one-dimensional, he would have been an alright add. Hopefully one of Cron/Marte can really emerge as a 20-30 HR guy this year to negate that loss.

Not if they keep platooning them. They need to play every gay if they're going to hit 30 HRs.

I think we shipped Hector Santiago out just in time -- we got a pretty decent run from him. He was acquired as a pen guy /part time starter and for the three years with us he pitched about two of them in the rotation and did pretty well.......certainly exceeded his low expectations.........got dealt for who (Nolasco?)  and check Santiago's stats last year after the deadline deal -- his starts and stats were awful.

Santana -- I guess we just couldn't afford his asking price at the time........I thought he pitched well for us and would have continued to do so but we got out-bid (can't remember by who -- Atlanta?  Santana;s been at KC and other places since),

Jason Vargas was a great signing for us and we got him relatively inexpensively -- he produced and left for more money. Solid rotation guy. LB State product,

And then there's our only other (than Dean Chance) Cy Young Award Winner, Bartolo Colon -- we paid a bunch for him and, yeah, he won the Cy Young in what was a weak/ down year for AL pitching........Colon certainly did not meet expectations here -- we paid him a bundle.......I always thought Halos signed him because of that one year he opened up the AL season (in fact, I think it was the first game at the 'NEW' Edison International Field') with Cleveland and shut down the Halos on two or three hits.......Colon pitched well in some other games against the Angels (for the White Sox as well as Cleveland)............now he's Mr. Longevity.....I mean he's won something like 125 games or so since leaving Anaheim with his 'best years behind him' -- certainly not the pitcher he was in Cleveland --(which is better than he was in Anaheim) but GEEZ -- it's really impressive that he's been able to stick around in MLB rotations so long -- and be effective in helping his team win.........good for him........nah, we don't want him back.

On 4/17/2017 at 6:12 PM, Troll Daddy said:

I think saying he excels in one tool is a better description of Trumbo. Dimension is a poor choice of words imo. There's many ways Trumbo can help his team win a ballgame.

You're right.  Now that he's an ex-Angel he can strike out, misplay a ball, or he can fail to reach base.  Those are all things he is pretty adept at that could lead to Angel victories.  His power is the one thing that could actually cost the Angels some games.

16 hours ago, CALZONE said:

Oh and going back in time, if pigheaded Arte would've just given Torii Hunter a one year qualifying offer we would've avoided the entire Josh Hamilton experience. $125M could've brought in a couple of good arms. 

Not one person here wanted that to happen