• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

It's Nov 1, 2017 we just won the WS, what went amazingly right?

I had a dream we won the WS last night so it must be true since I once had a dream that my cat was licking my face and she was when I woke up. In my dream one of our new guys was actually an MVP candidate but I don't remember which one. :D

Let's just say we somehow manage to win it all this year. What would had to have gone extremely right? Pujols somehow having a flashback year? Trout going out of his mind even surpassing what he's done previously? A cy young candidate and a closer with 50 saves? No injuries at all?

Holes of the past plugged.

The league wide trend towards more strikeouts is reversed making the vastly improved defense a bigger factor 

Middle relievers are able to hold leads that the back end locks down

The hitters behind Trout are able to make teams pay for pitching around him

The starters have just enough dominant performances to ease the pressure on the pen

The Astros are this season's team that just never seems to click and falls short of expectation

Everyone stays healthy and our worst-producing players only fall as low as their career norms. 
Not too far-fetched and if it happens, I think we'll be in great shape. 

I actually feel a 2002-ish vibe from this cast of characters. The offense is pretty versatile, good blend of speed, contact, plate discipline, and power. The defense is very good. The rotation is an assembly of middle of the road starters - no one particularly dominating, no one particularly awful. The pen may seem like the biggest difference because we don't have a K-Rod or Percival, but when you look back at guys like Shields, Levine, Donnelly, and Weber, it was a motley mix of vet arms, many of whom could go 1-2 innings. 

1 hour ago, zenmaster said:

Trout going out of his mind even surpassing what he's done previously? 

This was the first thing that came to mind after seeing the thread title. Trout doing something like .320/.450/.630/.1.080.

But I'd add, getting 750 combined innings from Skaggs, Richards, Nolasco and Shoemaker. If that happens, we are in the playoffs.

It would have to be a season of, "a different hero every night".  We just don't have the overall talent of a Boston or Cubs.  We may have just enough to get us in the playoffs.  I like what our club can do, which is play good defense, run the bases and some solid power.  I don't like what our staff could be, which is injury prone or inconsistent.  

Before I consider submitting my scenario, I need to ask a question about your dream.

Were there any midgets, er, small people, women dressed in French maid outfits or unicorns in your dream? I just want to get an idea on how realistic this dream was.

Thanks! 

good topic.  

C - they play defense to the level they are capable and they actually don't kill us with the bat.  ie, they both hit around .250+

1b - CJ Cron breaks out.  .280+ with 30 bombs.  

2b - Espinosa has a 2011/12 type season

3b - Escobar does what he does.  Hit's .320 or so and gets on base.  Someone gives him some ritalin so he can concentrate on defense.  

SS - Simmons does what he did last year, stays healthy, and adds a touch more pop and patience.  

LF - Maybin does what he did last year OR Revere does what he did in 2014 or 15 with solid LF defense. 

CF - Trout has to be Trout

RF - Kole has to be Kole.  

DH - Pujols puts up an .850 ops.  

bench - Valbuena, Marte rotate in and provide a similar level of production to that above for their respective positions.  

Not all of the above need to happen but probably at least half of them

Starters - Shoe is a Cy candidate.  Richards has a sub 3 era in his limited innings.  Skaggs has a sub 3.5 era in his limited innings.  Nolasco pitches similar to what he did at the end of last year.  Chavez gives us solid production with an era around 4.  Meyer, Smith, and Banuelos fill in admirably when needed.

Of the six above, at least 4 need to happen. 

Bullpen - Street comes back and has his 2015 season.  Bedrock does what he did last year.  Ramirez, Norris and Petit become 2 inning wonders and lock down the mid innings to help preserve our starters.  Blake Parker is dominant like he's been in spring (maybe not that much), but he becomes a true 2 era type guy for the bulk of the season.  Alvarez is used primarily vs. lefties.  Bailey does well or cedes his spot to someone like Middleton, Pounders, Paredes, or Campos.  One of who needs to break out.  

Of the six above, at least four need to happen.  

To be honest, I'll take my chances with less of the above scenarios happening as long as guys are healthy.  That would give us a legit shot at the playoffs.  While our rotation doesn't scream 'dominant' for a deep playoff run, if we can conserve innings for Richards and Skaggs, either of those two and Shoe are certainly capable of being dominant on any given day.  

In short 

Offense/defense - a little better than expected

Starters - healthy

Bullpen - lots of good surprises.  

There are a few possible configurations that could lead to a World Series win, but I'm going to focus on what I see as being things that simply "must" happen.

1. Trout has to stay healthy and be Trout. Without this, pretty much no chance of even making the playoffs.

2. At least pretty good health. The team has a lot more depth now so could withstand losing any key member, except for Trout. But they can't lose, say, both Shoemaker and Richards, or Simmons and Calhoun.

3. Offense - Solid performances all around with maybe a breakthrough or career year from someone (e.g. Cron, Calhoun, Espinosa, etc).

4. Defense - just be itself.

5. Rotation - at least one of Richards and Shoemaker are healthy and returns to peak form. Nolasco and Chavez have to be solid. We also need a breakthrough from at least one of Skaggs, Meyer, Banuelos, etc. The end result has to be at least four average or above starters, at least one--maybe two--being solidly above average. This is probably the most crucial aspect, and the most difficult.

6. Bullpen - stable, with two or three strong performers.

7. Combination of rotation and bullpen has to add up. If rotation lags, the bullpen has to be really strong. If the bullpen as holes, the rotation has to step up.

That's the baseline for playoff contention. If the team gets to the playoffs, then it is about peaking at the right time.

5 hours ago, eligrba said:

Țrump is impeached, all incumbents are voted out and America resets the government with people committed to solving problems for everyone.

Mike Scioscia for President. Hatcher for VP.

Joe Maddon for Secretary of Defense.

Bengie Molina for Homeland Security.

Oh, and Dipoto for Trade Secretary.