• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Inauguration

17 minutes ago, Adam said:

I'm guessing the protest that Red is going to will be peaceful and comprised of intelligent contributing members of society. I'm guessing the riot on Bristol will get more coverage. 

I'd hope so, in regards to peaceful part. Moms asked to come with, so that kind of screws with the sneak out half way through and end up at a bar idea. 

4 hours ago, arch stanton said:

You're using terms like dems and libs like its some giant collective walking in lockstep. I wonder how you react when people make those sweeping generalizations about Christians

Sweeping generalizations are also used against repubs and conservatives.

10 hours ago, red321 said:

I think it's fantastic people feel strongly enough to go out and protest the inauguration. A group of us will be at the march in Los Angeles on Saturday, if you want information let me know. I don't condone the violence or destruction of property, but if people feel strongly enough that the direction Trump and the Republicans want to take the country is wrong, that normalizing Trump's behavior is wrong, that allowing a minority of voters to roll back medicare, medicaid, social security, women's rights, national security arrangements, climate and environmental regulation, banking regulation, etc. etc. than by all means, go out and let your voice be heard. Learn a lesson from the Tea Party. 

damn, Donald has accomplished a lot and he hasn't even been inaugurated

take that, Obama! 

On 1/16/2017 at 11:01 AM, Thomas said:

If the left thinks they can beat the right at their own game they will learn a hopefully useful lesson in humility. They will be beaten down, certainly metaphorically and probably literally, and told that it's fair. I do wonder the purpose of the protests. I certainly dread the upcoming 4 years. Is the message of the protests that half the country hates Trump and right?  I'm pretty sure that message is clear. If it was a lens you'd be able to see a ladybug creature scratching it's ass on a planet three galaxies over. It would seem that on the list of things the left needs, sending this message would be way down from the top.

And what would a libertarian suggest the left do?

1 minute ago, red321 said:

And what would a libertarian suggest the left do?

As far as protests?  Study the civil rights leaders of the 1950s and 60s and try to show half the savvy as they had. Understand that the minds you are trying to reach will subtly look for any reason to disregard the message. If there is violence the message will be immediately lost. Caesar Chavez understood the power of the imagery of hostile law enforcement contrasted with non-violent protesters and the symbolism of arriving from the grape fields to the state capital on Easter Sunday.  The media lustily show violence if there is any and probably ignore you if there isn't. You have to give them a non-violent reason they can't ignore you. This requires amazing discipline and strong leadership.

In general? Accept that because the Republicans have gone so far to the right your tent has to cover a lot of ground. From the Bernie supporters to the coal workers in Appalachia . And that your coalition isn't always going to agree on everything, but that's okay. Be the party of patience and understanding. No name calling! Think Hillary regrets the deplorable statement?  Well she should but sadly probably doesn't. Purely anecdotal experience has about half of the people I see online from the left who are vocal loudly declare that they will "unfriend" or otherwise disassociate with those on the right that supported Trump. They are part of the problem. This social changes in this country should never have had to occur. But they did. And they happened remarkably quickly. Even UEFA still has to remind fans to kindly not throw bananas at certain players. LBGTQIA was declared by the government as mentally ill almost until my birth. Is it a surprise there are stragglers in the process?  An ounce of understanding will go along way in this process. Certainly isolating them only exasperates this problem. You win hearts and minds with kinds words. Not with slurs and anger. The right can use those quite effectively to scare people into voting for them. They create an image of scary minority groups taking away their basic necessities of a happy life and provides a (unrealistic) solution of building a wall as the only way to stop it. How do you scare people into being nice to minority groups? Would you want to?

The left has to vocally accept the process that led Trump to be POTUS. Failure will to do so, even if it is rather unpleasant, will taint your protests as being sour grapes. The opposition cannot be about Trump the person. That approach has failed. Or at the very least has reached its conclusion. Criticizing him as a terrible person at this point is beating a dead horse. Focus on the issues. Repealing of ACA is a great example. The left should be able to have a field day reaching those poor Republicans hearts (and wallets). So far...their leadership has been...less than inspiring.
630956760.jpg

(They should show this image in any future political communications class as what NOT to do)

59 minutes ago, Thomas said:

The left has to vocally accept the process that led Trump to be POTUS. Failure will to do so, even if it is rather unpleasant, will taint your protests as being sour grapes. The opposition cannot be about Trump the person. That approach has failed. Or at the very least has reached its conclusion. Criticizing him as a terrible person at this point is beating a dead horse. Focus on the issues. Repealing of ACA is a great example. The left should be able to have a field day reaching those poor Republicans hearts (and wallets). So far...their leadership has been...less than inspiring.

very well said, chili.