• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official MLB Playoff Thread

11 hours ago, Oz27 said:

This will sound like hyperbole but that was the worst managerial decision I've ever seen. I can't recall something so nonsensical ever.

1 hour ago, HALOS23 said:

Interestly enough, Bautista is 3-38 lifetime vs Ubaldo.

So I guess Oz is against going with stats in that situation and just bringing in a closer, regardless. You know, managing old school. 

So if Britton pitches that inning,  the Jay's don't score,  do you leave him in for the next five innings while the O's squander more opportunities to win? 

Baltimore had not scored since the 4th inning. At some point it isn't on the relief corps or manager when your offense goes 7 scoreless. 

53 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Maybe the O's don't score but at least by using Britton for an inning or two you're giving them every opportunity

Which inning? 7th,8th,9th,10th,11th? Tillman was done basically after 4. 

The 9th was high leverage with 2 men on and Showalter didn't bring in Britton then. Was that a mistake that just happened to work in his favor? Would there be second guessing if he burns his closer then? It's just as volatile situation with 2 on,  no out and Bautista at the plate. 

You guys can flap your gums all you want but Showalter played the stat odds and won the 9th but lost the 11th. Had he went with his best pitcher in high leverage and brought Britton in the 9th he sure as shit isn't pitching the 11th.

The offense lost this game. 

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

Which inning? 7th,8th,9th,10th,11th? Tillman was done basically after 4. 

The 9th was high leverage with 2 men on and Showalter didn't bring in Britton then. Was that a mistake that just happened to work in his favor? Would there be second guessing if he burns his closer then? It's just as volatile situation with 2 on,  no out and Bautista at the plate. 

You guys can flap your gums all you want but Showalter played the stat odds and won the 9th but lost the 11th. Had he went with his best pitcher in high leverage and brought Britton in the 9th he sure as shit isn't pitching the 11th.

The offense list this game. 

I've already posted what I would have done. I would have used him in the 9th and into the 10th to face the Jays 2 through 8 at least. If you do that you have 2 more innings before you feel compelled to use Jimenez. I get that managers like to save the closer in road games but I feel like someone as dominant as Britton was this year should have been used to match up against the heart of their lineup.

There's arguments for both Jimenez and Britton in the 11th inning.

The real question is, What was THAT Jimenez?    You looked like a AAA pitcher with the season on the line.

Is he just one of those guys who can't adapt to pitching in relief after starting all season?

Three batters, three reaching base?  Really? Really? Really?

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

I've already posted what I would have done. I would have used him in the 9th and into the 10th to face the Jays 2 through 8 at least. If you do that you have 2 more innings before you feel compelled to use Jimenez. I get that managers like to save the closer in road games but I feel like someone as dominant as Britton was this year should have been used to match up against the heart of their lineup.

Yeah but that heart comes up no less than every three innings regardless. Showalter never was in position to win that game with the offense pulling a 2014 Angels playoff performance. 

2 innings from Britton give him 2 more innings to look for a home run from the most prolific home run team in baseball playing in one of the most prolific home run parks in baseball. It would be hard for me to head home knowing I left a historically great relief pitcher sitting in the pen with Donaldson Encarnacion, and company coming to bat.

6 hours ago, Blarg said:

So I guess Oz is against going with stats in that situation and just bringing in a closer, regardless. You know, managing old school. 

Hahahahahahahahahahaha oh man this is ridiculous. Head to head splits, spread out over many years, are so damn worthless. It is insane to argue that as a reason to use a terrible pitcher over an extremely good one.

I'm in favour of using good stats, like every one that says Britton is really really excellent and Jimenez isn't. 

6 hours ago, arch stanton said:

2 innings from Britton give him 2 more innings to look for a home run from the most prolific home run team in baseball playing in one of the most prolific home run parks in baseball. It would be hard for me to head home knowing I left a historically great relief pitcher sitting in the pen with Donaldson Encarnacion, and company coming to bat.

Then Britton should have been in there for the 9th inning that looked like a train wreck in progress with Mr bat flip Bautista up with 2 on and no outs. Instead Showalter kept his cool and held out for a lead that never came. 

The Orioles did get those two extra innings in the 10th and 11th and that home run hitting team couldn't put a couple singles and a bunt together to scratch out one run. How many damn innings over 7 did they need to put one runner across the plate?  

At some point it's just on the players. 

8 hours ago, Blarg said:

So if Britton pitches that inning,  the Jay's don't score,  do you leave him in for the next five innings while the O's squander more opportunities to win? 

Baltimore had not scored since the 4th inning. At some point it isn't on the relief corps or manager when your offense goes 7 scoreless. 

Saying that every decision was going to lead to a bad outcome (something you can't even know) doesn't excuse poor decision making. Bringing in Britton was more likely to extend the game for the O's and in turn increase their chances of winning.

1 minute ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Haha MLB sucks so bad at replays. Always having the backs of the umps on the field. Probably one of the worst blown replay calls in sports history.

You think so? I thought he was safe but I had a feeling they would come back 'call stands' since I wasn't more than 90% sure about it.