• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Future 1B logjam - Pujols, Cron, Thaiss

Any thoughts on this? Pujols is signed for five more years, 2017-21. Maybe the last year or two he's part-time and/or retires early, but I'm thinking he'll want to start at least in 2017-19. B-R's contract info is down right now, but I think Cron is under club control at least through 2018, maybe further. Then we have Matt Thaiss, who is doing quite well in A ball. Assuming he stays on track, next year he'll play A+/AA, and be due for a promotion as early as a September cup-o-coffee in 2017 or sometime in 2018, probably no later than 2019.

So things could be really crowded by 2019. Thaiss has only played 1B so far in the minors - maybe the Angels try him out in LF and then move him to 1B once Pujols retires and Jahmai Jones is ready (maybe 2020), with Cron the DH. It is all a long way off, but gets more complicated if Thaiss develops quickly and is ready in 2018.

The "logjam" is really Cron vs Thaiss.  If Cron is hitting well, he'll be the 1B since he doesn't have the ability to play anywhere else or he is traded or released depending on how he performs.  I think the best case scenario for 2019 is Cron is an enough of an offensive force to make you forget his defense at 1B and Angels have a enough time to try Thaiss out in the OF or trade Cron for some nice prospects prior to Thaiss' promotion

The Angels will be using this winter and next fall/winter, to work in a couple positions. The hope is by Spring Training he'll take to either 2B, 3B or LF.

FWIW, Thaiss was told by scouts that he's too heavy footed to play the field at the next level, so we'll see. He has the arm.

As of right now, I don't see him playing much OF with Jones, Lund and Montgomery at a similar developmental arc.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Any thoughts on this? Pujols is signed for five more years, 2017-21. Maybe the last year or two he's part-time and/or retires early, but I'm thinking he'll want to start at least in 2017-19. B-R's contract info is down right now, but I think Cron is under club control at least through 2018, maybe further. Then we have Matt Thaiss, who is doing quite well in A ball. Assuming he stays on track, next year he'll play A+/AA, and be due for a promotion as early as a September cup-o-coffee in 2017 or sometime in 2018, probably no later than 2019.

So things could be really crowded by 2019. Thaiss has only played 1B so far in the minors - maybe the Angels try him out in LF and then move him to 1B once Pujols retires and Jahmai Jones is ready (maybe 2020), with Cron the DH. It is all a long way off, but gets more complicated if Thaiss develops quickly and is ready in 2018.

Hasn't Pujols been pretty much a DH these days?

2 hours ago, eaterfan said:

Or Cron busts/never fully recovers from broken wrist, Pujols is done, and Thaiss struggles as he moved up the system and we have no 1B in 2019. Maybe we should sign a 1B in the off-season for long term security.

I LOLed but that's the most likely scenario. 

59 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

I thought the logjam was cleared when we traded Trumbo and Morales. I guess we just can't  make enough accommodations for........

ooooh nevermind.

I love how you ignore how bad those guys have been overall since they left. 

Trumbo just doesn't really fit in with what we need or what Eppler seeks. Yes he would be an upgrade in LF, but a power-hitting, high K, poor defense, expensive, older option that'll cost a pick chips his pros down to a fairly neutral upgrade. 

Reddick or Saunders, even Jay, fit the profile for what we need much more. 

I expect Cron to either be dealt by the time Thaiss is ready, or Thaiss to have molded into a Trumbo-type that can hide at COF/CIF for a year or two.

51 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

So I guess an 844 OPS this year pretty shit for Trumbo. 

Kendrys last year had a 847 OPS last year. 

I don't know what their WAR is but I guess bad is bad. Are we talking Michael Jackson Bad status? I just hope you do the moon walk. 

lol he said "since he left"  Anyone can cherrypick a season.

In 2014, Morales' ops was .612

That same year, Trumbo put up an ops of .707, which coincidentally equal to Kolton Wong's career high ops. 

Edited by Lou