• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ric Wilson let go as Scouting Director

Interesting move. I think this year's draft was pretty good and he got Jahmai Jones last year. The drafts and international signings previous to that had been a disaster. Some of that was probably due to the organizational philosophy of safer picks that would be ready sooner. Granted, Wilson didn't hit on many of those either but he also didn't have a ton of high draft choices either. I wonder how much if this is based off performance and how much is just Eppler wanting his guy.

Eppler made some hires with Chavez and Martone when he first came in.  There is also Hollander and Morris.  I am sure that one of those guys will get the job. 

I was curious that Wilson lasted as long as he did.  I wonder if they just wanted some level of continuity through the draft.  My guess is that Eppler and his staff directed the draft as opposed to Wilson.  

I hope we can get an inside line with the new guy for our chats.  That would be great.  

2 minutes ago, AngelsWin.com said:

"Angels officials decided after Ric's last AngelsWin.com Draft Chat that the former scouting director had nothing left to offer to the organization"

that was less of a chat and more of an interrogation.  I was waiting for the guy to lawyer up at any moment.  

6 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

He was so bad in that chat....just awful.

Eddie was ALWAYS awesome. We had him doing them regularly for 3-4 years. We still keep in touch. 

Actually, Ric Wilson wasn't always so bad in our chats. He also did a live podcast with us once that was really good. 

If you ever want to check out the Bane archives, here they are.

https://angelswinblog.blogspot.com/p/bane-archives.html

He didn't really do a very good job.  He's had multiple years to bring in talent and has almost universally failed. My question is what were his limitations from El Cheapo?  Bill Shaikin tweeted that only two players drafted under Wilson have positive WAR.  If true, that's horrendous.  

It's so ironic. Ric Wilson is crap in drafts for four straight years, then he finally has a good one and gets fired.

My guess is Hollander takes it. Jumping more into analytics. 

I asked a friend about the Angels draft, he actually thought they'd already had a new scouting director. Must've been Eppler calling the shots, and if that's the case, he should call the rest of them too.

2 hours ago, eaterfan said:

Interesting move. I think this year's draft was pretty good and he got Jahmai Jones last year. The drafts and international signings previous to that had been a disaster. Some of that was probably due to the organizational philosophy of safer picks that would be ready sooner. Granted, Wilson didn't hit on many of those either but he also didn't have a ton of high draft choices either. I wonder how much if this is based off performance and how much is just Eppler wanting his guy.

I think Eppler probably always knew he would be making a change but opted to keep from throwing everything into disarray and let him finish out this season as scouting director.   Maybe this is why he couldn't answer any questions about the international side of the things during the chat, I think his response was that he wasn't involved with that end of the farm system which seemed odd at the time.  I thought he was being evasive, maybe he had already been getting phased out.

31 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

check out this interview from Grantland with Hollander from back in 2014.  Don't think I ever saw this before.  very interesting stuff and some insight as to how the pujols deal went down.  

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/justin-hollander-los-angeles-angels-q-a-mike-trout-albert-pujols-josh-hamilton/

Yeah I remember reading that around that time. The thing that I found most interesting was in regard to Dipoto's age analysis of generational 80 grade players and their age curve decline which is what made me feel more hopeful about the Pujols trade panning out better than expected.

When Eppler came aboard I expected him to transition staff gradually rather than clean house, contrasting Dipoto's entrance. He would come in and assess staff and determine which of the Sosh guys would be worth keeping, bring a few in, and then gradually change out over the first couple years.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

check out this interview from Grantland with Hollander from back in 2014.  Don't think I ever saw this before.  very interesting stuff and some insight as to how the pujols deal went down.  

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/justin-hollander-los-angeles-angels-q-a-mike-trout-albert-pujols-josh-hamilton/

I remember reading that and really liking what he said about your 3-4-5 starters should be young guys coming up, not old guys going down.  It indicates the performance levels for aging pitchers typically isn't a gradual decline but instead a rather significant one.  They go from #1-2 starters to not even #5's.  A lot like Weaver.

I also likes that he mentions guys growing into roles.  That's important to note.  Trout didn't come up day 1 and decide to be the clubhouse leader and #3 hitter he is today.  It started by working under Hunter's tutelage and batting leadoff.  Just get on base and run, that's it.  Eventually he grew into a #2 hitter, someone you sandwich between the top and middle of the order.  Now, he's a true middle of the order bat and is generally the pulse of this team.  He's grown very close with Pujols and it's clear they are who everyone looks up to (and Weaver). 

I remember meeting Hollander way back when he was the only one in the room.  I walked by him in Arizona and saw this tiny office, no bigger than an average walk-in closet and he's sitting there at a computer.  I asked how he was and what his job was.  It was a short discussion, maybe a minute or two long but he seemed really passionate about his job.  There were a few other guys that walked through that were younger too, but I'm not sure they were front office personnel. 

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Scotty, we don't know if he had a good one or not yet. All we know is that his first few really sucked.

I do agree that the last few sucked, but for some reason that i can't even explain to myself, i have a gut feeling this years draft is going to produce maybe as many as 10 ml players.

33 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

I do agree that the last few sucked, but for some reason that i can't even explain to myself, i have a gut feeling this years draft is going to produce maybe as many as 10 ml players.

From your mouth to Mike Trout's ears.

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

So, if I'm reading this right it wasn't Arte it was Jerry, or at the very least Jerry was certainly on board with the idea.  So much for Arte interfering with Albert.