• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jahmai Jones

Halonut

Another 3-4 day today with a 2B and a BB. Currently hitting .333/.394/.472, he seems to have a good grasp of the strike zone for an 18 year old and while the power hasn't shown itself yet, he routinely squares up the ball. I could see him developing into our LF of future and possible leadoff hitter.I had the pleasure of meeting this kid when the family and I were down in Tempe. Seems to have his head on straight, I wish him the best on his road to Anaheim.

No doubt, he is very young...doesn't turn 19 until next month. He is holding his own against competition 2-3 years older. Currently leading the Pioneer League in hits and runs, 3rd in 2Bs and 2nd in SBs. If he doesn't hit any snags along the way, I could see his timeline looking like this...

2017-Class A Burlington/IE

2018-High A IE

2019-AA Arkansas

2020-AAA SLC/Sept Call Up

2021-Starting LF in Anaheim @ 23 years old 

1 minute ago, Halonut said:

The Angels are notoriously conservative with the promotion of their prospects. If he forces their hand, I could see him hitting the bigs at 21 but outside of Mike Trout, they have been very patient in the past.

But Mike Scioscia is very liberal with allowing said prospects to ride the pine when they get promoted to the big club.

52 minutes ago, Halonut said:

The Angels are notoriously conservative with the promotion of their prospects. If he forces their hand, I could see him hitting the bigs at 21 but outside of Mike Trout, they have been very patient in the past.

The Angels generally follow a very specific formula for prospect promotion, and they rarely ever differ from it.  It's one of the extremely stupid weaknesses of this organization.  Basically, this is how it works....

Top Prep Players: One year in AZL, one year in Orem, one year in Burlington, one more at Inland Empire, a year in AA and at minimum, half a year in AAA, typically more like two years at AAA.  ETA for high school prospects, age 24.  It doesn't matter if they're ready at 22.  

Bottom half of prep players: Two years in AZL, followed by the above prospect promotion schedule.  ETA, 25+.

Top Collegiate Prospects: A year in Orem, a year at Inland Empire, a year at AA, and half a year minimum at AAA.  ETA 25/26.  It doesn't matter if they're ready by 23. 

Bottom half of collegiate prospects: A year in Orem, half season in  Burlington, the other half at Inland Empire.  Another half at Inland Empire and half at Arkansas.  Half again at Arkansas and at minimum, one year in Salt Lake.  ETA 26+.  

Top International Players at age 16: A year in DSL coming off the bench.  A year in DSL.  Another year in DSL at age 18, by which time they're hitting something ridiculous like .400.  A year in AZ.  A year at Orem, then follow the typical high school prospect schedule.  ETA: 25+, doesn't matter if they're ready at 22. 

Bottom half of international prospects.  Stay in Dominican Republic through age 19 season.  Two years in AZL.  One in Orem, then normal high school prospect schedule.  ETA 27+.

The more progressive teams tend to take their top 18 year olds and put them in A Ball immediately and Advanced A Ball by 19, and if progressing normally, the majors by 22.  They'll take their top college players and put them in AA to start their first year, and finish in AAA.  Normally, they're in the majors by 23 or 24.

And if you're looking for evidence of the complete lunacy of Angels prospect promotion, look at guys like Grayson Long who have no business being in A Ball but are simply stashed there.  And the one time they actually stray from the conservative path is for guys like Roberto Baldoquin and Julio Garcia, both of which are simply awful at the plate. 

51 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Seems like the Angels need an update in philosophy. Trout got up at what 20 right? With how they develop young players not rushing anyone is that the cause of why or one of the reasons why they aren't a great farm system? If they are never challenging their farm players how can they get better.

Is this a Scioscia trademark, more than anything?     He is the one constant since 2000.

1 hour ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

The Angels generally follow a very specific formula for prospect promotion, and they rarely ever differ from it.  It's one of the extremely stupid weaknesses of this organization.  Basically, this is how it works....

Top Prep Players: One year in AZL, one year in Orem, one year in Burlington, one more at Inland Empire, a year in AA and at minimum, half a year in AAA, typically more like two years at AAA.  ETA for high school prospects, age 24.  It doesn't matter if they're ready at 22.  

Bottom half of prep players: Two years in AZL, followed by the above prospect promotion schedule.  ETA, 25+.

Top Collegiate Prospects: A year in Orem, a year at Inland Empire, a year at AA, and half a year minimum at AAA.  ETA 25/26.  It doesn't matter if they're ready by 23. 

Bottom half of collegiate prospects: A year in Orem, half season in  Burlington, the other half at Inland Empire.  Another half at Inland Empire and half at Arkansas.  Half again at Arkansas and at minimum, one year in Salt Lake.  ETA 26+.  

Top International Players at age 16: A year in DSL coming off the bench.  A year in DSL.  Another year in DSL at age 18, by which time they're hitting something ridiculous like .400.  A year in AZ.  A year at Orem, then follow the typical high school prospect schedule.  ETA: 25+, doesn't matter if they're ready at 22. 

Bottom half of international prospects.  Stay in Dominican Republic through age 19 season.  Two years in AZL.  One in Orem, then normal high school prospect schedule.  ETA 27+.

The more progressive teams tend to take their top 18 year olds and put them in A Ball immediately and Advanced A Ball by 19, and if progressing normally, the majors by 22.  They'll take their top college players and put them in AA to start their first year, and finish in AAA.  Normally, they're in the majors by 23 or 24.

And if you're looking for evidence of the complete lunacy of Angels prospect promotion, look at guys like Grayson Long who have no business being in A Ball but are simply stashed there.  And the one time they actually stray from the conservative path is for guys like Roberto Baldoquin and Julio Garcia, both of which are simply awful at the plate. 

Yes, this has been the rule of thumb in the past under different GM's. With Eppler, we don't have a clue how he will act with the promoting.

16 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Is this a Scioscia trademark, more than anything?     He is the one constant since 2000.

The question is which I don't know and I am not a huge fan of Mike S. But is he the one calling the shots on who gets brought up to the bigs and how fast people progress? Or is this just a fundamental Angels front office belief system. I am probably wrong but I thought the only thing the Manager does is work with his major league team with what his GM gives him not make every decision on the way up. There are 100's of players in the minor league system can one Manager who has I am sure bigger things to worry about than what some prospect is doing in A ball is doing control all of that? If thats the case then that seems like way too much control for one guy. NFL head coaches which are probably the most head coaching position in all of sports, can at a 1% success rate deal with being a GM and Head coach and they only deal with what 65 players? 

2 hours ago, Kevinb said:

The question is which I don't know and I am not a huge fan of Mike S. But is he the one calling the shots on who gets brought up to the bigs and how fast people progress? Or is this just a fundamental Angels front office belief system. I am probably wrong but I thought the only thing the Manager does is work with his major league team with what his GM gives him not make every decision on the way up. There are 100's of players in the minor league system can one Manager who has I am sure bigger things to worry about than what some prospect is doing in A ball is doing control all of that? If thats the case then that seems like way too much control for one guy. NFL head coaches which are probably the most head coaching position in all of sports, can at a 1% success rate deal with being a GM and Head coach and they only deal with what 65 players? 

Essentially, the way this works is the GM speaks with the minor league managers and scouts (sometimes roving structors too) a couple times a week.  If the GM is considering promoting a player, he'll often get their input. If after that, a certain player still seems like a good option for promotion, the GM will have a meeting with the major league manager and coaches.  After that, if it's still a good idea, they make the move.  This is for bigger or first time promotions.  There's a lot they take into consideration.

The smaller promotions like bullpen shuffling are more along the lines of a simple series of texts between Scioscia, Eppler and the pitching coaches.  

Scioscia himself plays a role in which players are promoted and which aren't, but the blame/credit doesn't just fall on him.  Scioscia will typically make it abundantly clear if he disagrees with a promotion, because he simply won't write that player into the lineup.  He has his reasons, whether it's veteran preference, or something about the way a player meshes with those around him.  I don't know, but what I do know is that Scioscia has shown a willingness to sit younger players on the bench for weeks at a time.

• 2 weeks later...