• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Andrelton Simmons

Glen

Mathis was an adequate defensive catcher, and not much more than that. Despite contentions to the contrary from our field manager, he didn't call a particularly great game, and his throwing arm didn't exactly shut down running games - even when he threw to the correct base.

I agree with Ten Ocho. Shortstop is a position at which you can generally tolerate a guy who isn't a great hitter, provided that he is an above-average fielder. However, when you have a weak offensive team that has trouble scoring runs, that lack of production is accentuated. Simmons will likely never be a great hitter, but hopefully he can become at least an adequate one.

21 hours ago, Kevinb said:

Is he the best defensive short stop. Just looked up precious war defensive short stop numbers and he's tied for 1st so he's not even the best at that. And if he means best defensive short stop say best defensive short stop. Also that didn't answer my question would you rather have those guys or the the high and mighty Simmons :)

WAR is an additive stat somewhat like RBI.  The fact he is tied for first despite missing almost half the games that have been played this year goes to show you he is indeed the best defensively.  I would rather have the others you named because they are more all around players, but that's not really an option.  You show me a team that will trade one of those guys for Simmons straight up and I'll agree we should trade him.

I'm not really sure what is up with the idea that someone as defensively gifted as Simmons doesn't belong on the team because they aren't a contender, but somehow if they were a terrible defender with a good bat it would make more sense.  Why does it even matter how they are effecting the game?  Why does it matter if they are saving a run or creating one.  It is all the same in the end.  That whole notion makes zero sense. You guys say "what good is a glove on a team that can't hit?"  Well, what good is a bat on a team that can't field or suppress runs??  Its all the same.  One player can't effect a whole team.  We already see that seeing as how the Angels have the best player in baseball.  Guess we should get rid of him since he's not able to single-handedly make the team win right?   Or we can hold on to some sort of core of players that are under contract for the next 4-5 years and build around those guys.  

Edit:  If you read those articles that were posted analyzing the trade for Simmons, this is precisely what they criticize about the Braves.  The Braves are trying to rebuild, but they keep trading away everyone worth building around except Freeman.  At a certain point you are trading away the kind of talent you are trying to get through prospects to begin with.  Its one thing to trade away guys close to their FA, but the guys that are relatively young and locked down should remain otherwise you are perpetuating a cycle of getting rid of any talent you actually develop.

Edited by AngelsFanSince86

I think there's tremendous value having someone like Simmons in the infield for developing pitchers. Guys like McGowin, Smith, Tropeano will benefit being able to pitch to contact more in the majors with Simmons back there. And I do believe there's an intagible in play where Simmons improves other fielders. You watch him and you see how he captains the infield. There's no doubt he offers other players cues throughout the game on positioning, eases pressure off players ranging in certain directions so they can focus more on their non-Simmons side, etc.

He is to the defense what Trout is to the offense.

15 minutes ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

Edit:  If you read those articles that were posted analyzing the trade for Simmons, this is precisely what they criticize about the Braves.  The Braves are trying to rebuild, but they keep trading away everyone worth building around except Freeman.  At a certain point you are trading away the kind of talent you are trying to get through prospects to begin with.  Its one thing to trade away guys close to their FA, but the guys that are relatively young and locked down should remain otherwise you are perpetuating a cycle of getting rid of any talent you actually develop.

I don't follow the Braves as closely as I once did, but I still do. If there is a plan, or even a general theme, in Atlanta these days, I haven't seen it. Simmons seems like exactly the kind of player who you want around when you're building: Young, cost controlled, just approaching his prime years. Add to that that he is an elite defensive player - which is very helpful to young pitchers learning the craft - and one wonders why he was dealt for even more prospects. Teams who are perpetually acquiring minor league talent don't have a direction, other than treading water. The Braves aren't even managing to do that.

1 minute ago, Angels N Skins said:

Honestly, I don't see how these players can maintain great focus knowing the season is well out of reach and it's only June 28th! They really have nothing to play for at this point. It has to somewhat remove them mentally from the game.

It doesn't.

14 hours ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

I'm not really sure what is up with the idea that someone as defensively gifted as Simmons doesn't belong on the team because they aren't a contender, but somehow if they were a terrible defender with a good bat it would make more sense.  Why does it even matter how they are effecting the game?  Why does it matter if they are saving a run or creating one.  It is all the same in the end.  That whole notion makes zero sense. You guys say "what good is a glove on a team that can't hit?"  Well, what good is a bat on a team that can't field or suppress runs??  Its all the same.  One player can't effect a whole team.  We already see that seeing as how the Angels have the best player in baseball.  Guess we should get rid of him since he's not able to single-handedly make the team win right?   Or we can hold on to some sort of core of players that are under contract for the next 4-5 years and build around those guys.  

Agreed that a run saved is as valuable as a run scored. But how can we ever really gauge that? Robbing a home run obviously saves a run. Robbing a single without a runner in scoring position of more theoretic (to be fair, same as hitting a single with someone on).

To be clear, i like him. Hes a very talented player that we have locked up. I just still dont think it was the right move for this team.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/68413/elvis-andrus-contract-a-reminder-that-you-dont-pay-big-for-defense

Decent take in that article. May not be totally relevant for this thread, but food for thought.

• 2 weeks later...

great play there by Simmons -- he's really a solid defender.......I like him up the middle.

in that play just now he saved a couple of runs........

be nice if he produced more offensively but with that play -- it shows save two runs on defense or knock in two on offense -- still two runs.

2 hours ago, disarcina said:

great play there by Simmons -- he's really a solid defender.......I like him up the middle.

be nice if he produced more offensively but with that play -- it shows save two runs on defense or knock in two on offense -- still two runs.

It's a shame how some fans are blinded by his greatness because of his bat.

Simmons defense is insane.  His ability to catch popups that would normally be a bloop hit is something to behold.  It feels like he does that at least once a game.  

He's by far the best defensive player I have ever seen.  He's always in the right spot.  

There have been several occasions where a ball it hit and I assume it's a hit but then he comes out of nowhere and not only makes the play, but he's in position to field the ball without even diving.  

I knew he was good, but I thought his ability to save runs defensively would be more subtle.  It's not.  

In reality run production isn't linear. A lineup that produces a lot of runs benefits more from adding a good offensive player than an average lineup would from the same player.

Angels don't have a great offense so they wouldn't benefit as much from replacing Simmon's bat with a better bat.

8 hours ago, disarcina said:

Yeah and if Giavotella had been on second to cut off that throw it may have been a double play.