• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

ESPN finally fired Curt Schilling

I used to agree, but the market place has dictated that media, texts, social media, etc. take precedence with regards to profit margins. It's why dumb broads can get fired from their minimum wage hosting jobs for ragging on customers or posting their receipts as shitty tippers.

If you're a public figure you pretty much have to be vanilla when it comes to this shit. It comes with the territory of making solid money for doing nothing but talking in public settings, in return you stay off the radar. The same way a NFL player gives up his right to smoke weed and do bad shit with the homies while under contract to stay employed. 

It's one of those things I've always hated, but the market place wins. You're getting sponsors pulling out now of even remotely controversial shit. We just kind of have to accept the world is a bunch of PC pussies and if in the position be smart enough that someone is always watching or recording and your job is in jeopardy.....shit, look at the Taco Bell employee that lost his job because he smashed on that Uber driver here in OC. It had nothing to do with work, but affected Taco Bell so they cut him loose, this is the new reality.

ESPN advises their on-air talent to avoid discussing issues like this but Schilling has done so on multiple occasions. It wasn't this one instance that led to him being fired, it was a culmination of him continuing to say stupid crap despite ESPN disciplining him in the past(suspension, demotion). Not sure how many chances he was supposed to get

Schilling has always been a blowhard. Any time there was any baseball controversy there was always stories with his thoughts on the matter as if he was one of the go-to authority figures in the game to speak on things.

Eh, there is a difference from having a dissenting opinion and what he did.  It isn't that he was for the LGBT laws, it is how he went about it posting memes that were clearly inflammatory.

And as other people have said, ESPN tells their on air talent that they are always representing the network, which is true, so he knew what he was doing.

That said, ESPN is full of idiots like Bayless and Steven A Smith and they recently did a puff piece on JJ Hardy.

A person has a right to their opinions and while people have a right to be offended by whatever they want to be offended by, a father should have the right to express concerns about men in drag (or a man with his dick cut off) using a ladies room while his female child uses the same ladies room.

Shilling didn't beat up a tranny. He didn't say all Transies should die and go to hell. He expressed an opinion. And while the characarure of a transie he used may only represent the way a small portion of Transies look, some will look like that.

Firing him was a cowards way out by ESPN. Everyone is offended by everything these days and your right to be offended doesn't outweigh my right or Curt Schillings right to express his feelings in a controversial but non-violent way.

Schilling's right to express himself doesn't outweigh ESPN's right to fire him. If Curt Schilling had expressed the opinion that Jews controlled the media and were using their influence to enslave the masses everyone would expect him to get fired. Expressing those opinions have consequences. While they seem harmless to you as a white man they cause fear for the groups that you claim shouldn't be offended. These groups have been targets of violence that has been either state sanctioned or at least condoned in much of the world, and even in the United States for much of its history. Those words have been used by the majority in those countries to incite the violence and often directly proceed it. Transexuals are a group that are extremely victimized by violence and commit suicide at a much higher rate than the general society. They aren't predators any more than any other group and demonizing them is unfair. Posting a picture of that person (do we even know if that is a trans person at all?) is no different that posting a picture of a hook nosed Jew from the Elders of Zion and saying do you want this person brainwashing your child through the media?

The problem is this is the intersection between the real world and SJW. I don't agree with what he said, but I support his right to express that opinion.

It sets a dangerous precedent.

not if he's expressing it as the face of a brand/company.

imagine if the pilot on your flight starts ranting about his personal beliefs and degrading others.

you'd tell him to just sh*t the **** up and fly. do your job. don't lecture me on things other than what you're hired to do.

i would bitch to the airline, they would lose business, and then Hooters Air would tell him also to shut the f*ck up on non work stuff.

same thing here.

when he talked about baseball, very smart and obviously knows his stuff.

if he wants to talk about other issues personal to him he needs to have a separate channel for that, to distance himself from him employer.

Edited by mrwicked

I'm not quite sure what Schilling did wrong here but force a few over-sensitive folks to shed a few tears cause they couldn't take a joke? You're mean! These same PC people would have no problem keeping him if he made or posted a similar meme in the vein of Christianity. I also don't get this "you're falsely representing that segment of society" argument at all. It wasn't supposed to represent that segment, it was completely hyperbolic and exaggerated.

As cezero mentioned, we have grown a lot in the past decade towards acceptance, but it gets to a point where you kinda need to pump the brakes there a bit. As far as being recognized for diversity, I just don't understand that at all. I mean what do you want that will make you happy so we can get over this sh*t? Why are people so hell bent on this stuff? I've never cared about being recognized for my diversity nor would I ever want to nor do I need to be, so it doesn't even make logical sense to me to even say something like that. I don't understand what we need to do to make them happy so we could stop this hurrah and they'd feel like they're recognized for their diversity. Or is this just going to be a never-ending thing that we're going to have to hear about forever? Like racism with blacks in America?

I have to say this constant pushing shoving forcing down peoples throats something that was "taboo" for so long has been getting annoying for a while, and IMHO somewhat inconsiderate to some folks who really just don't care either way. They don't want to know, and they can only take so much at once, and it's kinda hard to blame them.

That being said, FU*K ESPN.

I think it is inappropriate for any of them to express opinions, on air, about stuff other than the sport. Should Schilling or any other broadcaster never express opinions on their personal social media accounts? If he is involved in politics or has strong opinions how is he allowed to express his feelings and still keep his job? Would he still have been fired if the post was words only?

^Nate, I agree it's trash. But let's call a spade a spade here: there is so much trash that gets thrown around all the time these days, this is mild by FAR in comparison. This is just getting news because Curt got fired and the left doesn't like it because it sends a message that doesn't fit their agenda.

All of us have heard folks on the left spout off those accusations towards folks that don't think the same as them. It's not an even playing field when it comes to what people on the left are allowed to get away with, and what people on the right are allowed to get away with. Sure the photo is not an accurate representation of that type of community -- but it's not supposed to be. It's supposed to be an exaggeration to bring to light a pretty legitimate issue. I don't see what is wrong with it just because it hurts some folks feelings or doesn't fit certain ideological beliefs. Christians are supposed to be made of steel while this community is supposed to be babied and coddled?

That's the thing though Angels N Skins: Olbermann gets in front of a camera for ESPN, on air, when he's supposed to be talking about sports, and condemns anything not considered leftism by the media or society, barks his opinion and what should be with no exception, and the station doesn't bat an eye.

You are exactly right how is Curt supposed to express his feelings if they are anything other than leftist beliefs and still keep a job? How is that liberty? This is becoming extremely dangerous because what we're seeing is the media constantly being two faced, censoring any and all types of news, thoughts, opinions and beliefs that are contrary to what THEY think should be shared to its viewers, instead of being truthful and honest and up front. And undoubtedly it is having effects on society, and I'm not sure if it's doing any of us any good.

I have no issue with ESPN (a private company) making their rules about not allowing employees to share personal opinions about social issues. I'm not sure if it's in their contracts or not but they need to be consistent with all opinions given by their employees. 

Edited by Angels N Skins

^Nate, I agree it's trash. But let's call a spade a spade here: there is so much trash that gets thrown around all the time these days, this is mild by FAR in comparison. This is just getting news because Curt got fired and the left doesn't like it because it sends a message that doesn't fit their agenda.

All of us have heard folks on the left spout off those accusations towards folks that don't think the same as them. It's not an even playing field when it comes to what people on the left are allowed to get away with, and what people on the right are allowed to get away with. Sure the photo is not an accurate representation of that type of community -- but it's not supposed to be. It's supposed to be an exaggeration to bring to light a pretty legitimate issue. I don't see what is wrong with it just because it hurts some folks feelings or doesn't fit certain ideological beliefs. Christians are supposed to be made of steel while this community is supposed to be babied and coddled?

That's the thing though Angels N Skins: Olbermann gets in front of a camera for ESPN, on air, when he's supposed to be talking about sports, and condemns anything not considered leftism by the media or society, barks his opinion and what should be with no exception, and the station doesn't bat an eye.

You are exactly right how is Curt supposed to express his feelings if they are anything other than leftist beliefs and still keep a job? How is that liberty? This is becoming extremely dangerous because what we're seeing is the media constantly being two faced, censoring any and all types of news, thoughts, opinions and beliefs that are contrary to what THEY think should be shared to its viewers, instead of being truthful and honest and up front. And undoubtedly it is having effects on society, and I'm not sure if it's doing any of us any good.

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE WHITE AMERICAN CHRISTIANS!!!

STOP THIS PERSECUTION!!!

I'm not quite sure what Schilling did wrong here but force a few over-sensitive folks to shed a few tears cause they couldn't take a joke? You're mean! These same PC people would have no problem keeping him if he made or posted a similar meme in the vein of Christianity. I also don't get this "you're falsely representing that segment of society" argument at all. It wasn't supposed to represent that segment, it was completely hyperbolic and exaggerated.

As cezero mentioned, we have grown a lot in the past decade towards acceptance, but it gets to a point where you kinda need to pump the brakes there a bit. As far as being recognized for diversity, I just don't understand that at all. I mean what do you want that will make you happy so we can get over this sh*t? Why are people so hell bent on this stuff? I've never cared about being recognized for my diversity nor would I ever want to nor do I need to be, so it doesn't even make logical sense to me to even say something like that. I don't understand what we need to do to make them happy so we could stop this hurrah and they'd feel like they're recognized for their diversity. Or is this just going to be a never-ending thing that we're going to have to hear about forever? Like racism with blacks in America?

I have to say this constant pushing shoving forcing down peoples throats something that was "taboo" for so long has been getting annoying for a while, and IMHO somewhat inconsiderate to some folks who really just don't care either way. They don't want to know, and they can only take so much at once, and it's kinda hard to blame them.

That being said, FU*K ESPN.

Dude, you get all worked up when someone disagrees with you on this board.

not if he's expressing it as the face of a brand/company.

imagine if the pilot on your flight starts ranting about his personal beliefs and degrading others.

you'd tell him to just sh*t the **** up and fly. do your job. don't lecture me on things other than what you're hired to do.

i would bitch to the airline, they would lose business, and then Hooters Air would tell him also to shut the f*ck up on non work stuff.

same thing here.

when he talked about baseball, very smart and obviously knows his stuff.

if he wants to talk about other issues personal to him he needs to have a separate channel for that, to distance himself from him employer.

Is there a difference between what you say at work vs what you say on your own time? Right or wrong, The dynamic has clearly shifted, as Brandon said. In your example, if my pilot said those things over the intercom, he should expect repercussions. If he's throwing back a few at the bar before our flight, which is where he's more likely to be, most of us probably won't care.

Schilling had previously been disciplined for insensitive comments, and he should have learned his lesson. He was wrong for what he did.

There's another issue at play here, and I kind of hesitate to bring it up. There's a lot of pressure socially for people to be supportive or tolerant of others who live differently (gays, trannies, illegal immigrants, etc.). Failure to also support/tolerate/accept them creates a growing amount of problems for people, and that's at play here in schillings firing.