• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why do we celebrate Jackie Robinson?

Why do we (er, MLB) celebrate Jackie Robinson every year?  The Dodgers were the ones who added him to the team, who gave him a contract, who paid his salary, etc. 

Shouldn't the Dodgers executives at the time be the ones credited for breaking the color barrier and not Jackie?

I don't mind celebrating Jackie Robinson day every year. 

I do mind every freakin player wearing the number.  It makes the number into a joke.  That number should only be worn by people who demonstrated or are recognized by the Jackie Robinson foundation. 

Instead, you have Papelbolm and Hamilton among others wearing the number. 

The Dodgers management had the safety and security of being in their offices while Robinson had to face the racial hatred in person without blinking, without cowering and without fighting back and all the while with unshakeable courage.

That is why we give our respect to the individual man.

They also had the safety and security of being ... well ... white.

The Dodgers management had the safety and security of being in their offices while Robinson had to face the racial hatred in person without blinking, without cowering and without fighting back and all the while with unshakeable courage.

That is why we give our respect to the individual man.

MLB had 3 black players in 1947.  Jackie Robinson just happened to be the first one. 

I guess that's the gist of my question, why does Jackie get all the credit when guys Larry Doby and Hank Thompson (and a bunch of others) had to endure the same kind of racism. Doesn't the whole group of guys deserve the same recognition? 

Why do we (er, MLB) celebrate Jackie Robinson every year?  The Dodgers were the ones who added him to the team, who gave him a contract, who paid his salary, etc. 

Shouldn't the Dodgers executives at the time be the ones credited for breaking the color barrier and not Jackie?

Because those executives didn't have to deal with getting spiked by opponents and rejected by his own teammates.

They need to do this for the first 1st openly gay player, 1st openly trangender one, 1 openly autistic one.

However only type of transgender person who could possibly make it to the majors will be a Trans Woman who can throw mid 90s, a Trans Man throwing 65 won't make it ever.

Jered Weaver is laughing at you

MLB had 3 black players in 1947. Jackie Robinson just happened to be the first one.

I guess that's the gist of my question, why does Jackie get all the credit when guys Larry Doby and Hank Thompson (and a bunch of others) had to endure the same kind of racism. Doesn't the whole group of guys deserve the same recognition?

No.

Why shouldn't Larry Doby deserve the same recognition as Jackie Robinson? 

Larry Doby faced racism in the AL while Jackie was in the NL.  All things considered, their plights were almost identical.

I don't disagree with you but this day commemorates the day he broke the barrier. Barriers generally only get broken once.

Would you like to be the one to publicly carrying the banner of getting MLB to stop doing this?

Why shouldn't Larry Doby deserve the same recognition as Jackie Robinson? 

Larry Doby faced racism in the AL while Jackie was in the NL.  All things considered, their plights were almost identical.

To answer your question, Doby didn't face anywhere near the racism that Robinson had to endure.

Their plights weren't close to being identical.