• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Meanwhile on the Fowler Front ...

LAAMike

Looks like the Orioles are willing to give up a top forty draft pick to sign Fowler for 2 years/ 10 million per year. This still seems like something the Angels should consider.

Meh, at this point I would rather have the #16 pick in the 1st round. I like Fowler but I don't think he's a player that'd push this team to a new level.

Is Fowler's eventual signing holding up the signing of Austin Jackson?

A one-year deal on Jackson might be reasonably close to fitting within the Angel's CBT limitations. Would creating a Jackson (strong side) / Nava platoon in LF be a significant improvement over Nava (strong side) / Gentry platoon at a net increase of $4-5m?

Is Fowler's eventual signing holding up the signing of Austin Jackson?

A one-year deal on Jackson might be reasonably close to fitting within the Angel's CBT limitations. Would creating a Jackson (strong side) / Nava platoon in LF be a significant improvement over Nava (strong side) / Gentry platoon at a net increase of $4-5m?

I assume Jackson wouldn't cost a draft pick?

If they are keeping Nava you almost have to keep Gentry, although Jackson could do most of what Gentry can do, and other things better. I like Gentry in the right role, 5th outfielder, just not sure we carry 5 outfielders. I like him as a pinch runner late in games when you need a stolen base. I like him as the CFer when Trout needs a day off his feet. He can get a bunt down. Austin Jackson is a better starter, Gentry would be better off the bench late in games. That may not appear to be sexy but it's important.

If they are keeping Nava you almost have to keep Gentry, although Jackson could do most of what Gentry can do, and other things better. I like Gentry in the right role, 5th outfielder, just not sure we carry 5 outfielders. I like him as a pinch runner late in games when you need a stolen base. I like him as the CFer when Trout needs a day off his feet. He can get a bunt down. Austin Jackson is a better starter, Gentry would be better off the bench late in games. That may not appear to be sexy but it's important.

I agree with your analysis. Gentry is the superior pinch runner to either Nava or Jackson. The Nava/Gentry platoon probably provides higher OBP while the Jackson/Nava platoon probably provides more power.

Jackson and Gentry both provide satisfactory to above back-up average CF coverage behind Trout. 

I guess it comes down to spending the $4m now or saving it for the trade deadline.

Edited by halosfan1970

F it.  Sign Fowler 2/20, Gallardo 3/40, and Desmond 4/50.  All club friendly deal and all players that make us better.  Plus, with those contracts, it brings additional tradeable assets to the org if things don't work out.  You could then trade Hector for a good pen arm or prospects.  

whatever.  I guess I'm still not over it.  

F it. Sign Fowler 2/20, Gallardo 3/40, and Desmond 4/50. All club friendly deal and all players that make us better. Plus, with those contracts, it brings additional tradeable assets to the org if things don't work out. You could then trade Hector for a good pen arm or prospects.

whatever. I guess I'm still not over it.

I agree with all this.

We wont even carry 3 outfielders.

F it.  Sign Fowler 2/20, Gallardo 3/40, and Desmond 4/50.  All club friendly deal and all players that make us better.  Plus, with those contracts, it brings additional tradeable assets to the org if things don't work out.  You could then trade Hector for a good pen arm or prospects.  

whatever.  I guess I'm still not over it.  

Why would we do this when there are so many .180 hitters that we can sign and hope that they improve?

Doc, you make a lot of sense, which is why nothing like this will happen.

Why would we do this when there are so many .180 hitters that we can sign and hope that they improve?

If it was gonna happen, it would have already.  It should have already.  but you know....yacht fuel, economics, and 'we're doing the best we can'  

No...we're not looking for .180 hitters.

We're looking for guys who will hit .180 AFTER we get them.

See Joyce, Matt.