• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So Who's Left for Who?

Docwaukee

So we know the halos needs.  It's actually been decently busy in terms of signings the last few days.  

Here is who's left from the top 50

Cespedes

Upton

Davis

Desmond

Fowler

Kendrick 

Gallardo

Kennedy

Jackson

Fister

Ramirez

Freese

Latos

Uribe

Venable

Clippard

Morneau

Astros - Probably in line for a SP.  Chen was gobbled up so it doesn't appear they are willing to spend at this point.  They could trade from their OF depth in that they have Springer, Gomez,  Rasmus, Marisnick, and Tucker ready to go.  Could see them adding a Justin Morneau type player

A's - unlikely to spend.  Beane seems to have been relatively quiet this off season.  Don't see them making any significant moves.  

Mariners - probably done.  could see a few minor tweaks as Jerry doesn't seem he can go a week without exchanging a player from his 40man.  

Rangers - have said they aren't gonna spend any more.  Currently the 4th highest payroll in the AL some I'm inclined to believe them but their rotation is a little thin after their considerable 1-2 punch.  Seems they are looking to put Hamilton in LF full time next year which is problematic.  Could be a dark horse to jump in at the last second to grab one of the OFers.  Would like be on a pillow contract though

TOR, NYY, BOS, TBR - all seem likely done and very unlikely to spend.  

Baltimore - still looking for pitching and a starting OFer.  Have a clear willingness to spend.  My guess is that they circle back and end up with Davis.  They are pretty much a candidate for every free agent left.  

KCR, MIN, CLE - all unlikely to spend unless its on something small.  

CWS - gonna get an OFer.  remains to be seen as to who.  Don't seem to want to spend a ton, but I could see them blinking and bringing in one of the top names.  

DET- their owner wants to win a championship and has said publicly he doesn't care about the money.  Could easily see them bringing back Cespedes. 

PHI, ATL and MIA are all likely done.  WSN as well.  

NYM - as much as their fans want them to get Cespedes back, they just don't have the scratch.  

CIN, MIL CHC PIT unlikely to make any significant moves.  The cubs could trade for a SP.  Pit could do their usual and sign a guy like Fister or Latos to a 1yr deal and turn them into a cy young candidate.  

STL seems pretty set but I could see them jumping in at the last minute for a big name OFer.  Pretty doubtful though.

SFG, ARI and COL all appear done spending.  

I think the Dogs are done but who knows.  Maybe they won the powerball....again.  

SDP seem destined to get a SS but I doubt they do much more than that.  

So overall:

Likely to still spend big money

Baltimore - likely on an OF and possibly a SP

SDP - likely on a SS

Possible

Detroit - likely an OFer

Maybe but doubtful

Rangers

Angels 

Mets

White Sox

Cardinals

By my estimate, there are quite a few quality players left and very few teams that are likely in the market to spend still.  In addition to being late in the game, the market has also done something a little odd in the last several days in that it has skipped a step.  Several of the secondary and tertiary OFers have now signed without the primary guys going.  Very odd.

The Angels may have purposefully or inadvertently put themselves in an optimal position to take advantage of a very big supply of quality players.  Several of which would help them tremendously.  This is either going to be very good for Angel fans or a frustrating free agent blue ball fest.  

There have always been those teams that jump in and spend the money the players are looking for, but there just doesn't seem to be anything remotely related to a sense of urgency from anyone.  

The bottom line is that even if the Angels were intent on not spending, there may not be an opportunity like this for many years where there is the potential to add multiple quality players on the cheap.  They may not jump in if the players demands are ultimately met, but if those demands drop it could be very very good for them.  

Angelos would have to be pants-on-head retarded to do this.

Which is why you're right.

He pulled the same shenanigans with Arod.  The other thing is that while there are a ton of free agents left on the market, it's not unusual for a Boras client and my guess is that his negotiating tactics lead to this year in and year out.  

I think what it does tell us is that there are potentially other teams in play for Davis that we don't know about.  Not sure he'd let his client float out there when he could just take his 150 and run with it.  My guess is that Boras and his clients are still very much where they need to be to get what is expected.  

Chen just got 5/80 from the Marlins.  That's about what was expected.  

Sign Gallardo.  Trade the Newcomb package with Santiago included for Nolan Arenado.  Keep Gott, Aybar, and Murphy.  Dont platoon in Left Field, use Murphy as the starter.  Opening Day lineup

Calhoun

Trout

Arenado

Pujols

Murphy

Giavatella

Perez

Aybar

Could have been a great offseason. 

Edited by QuinlansMinion

Why would the Rockies trade Arenado?

Anyhow, good stuff Doc although I don't see a ton of players that could really help the Angels - except the big hitters and maybe Tyler Clippard, who I like a lot but am a bit worried the decline in his peripherals last year.

For me the key info is that you have up to seven teams--BAL, CHW, DET, possibly STL, LAA, NYM or TEX--who could possibly be in on one of the three big bats. Let's say BAL goes for Davis. That leaves two teams who are more likely to sign Upton or Cespedes than the Angels. Let's say one gets signed and the other team is out. That leaves either Upton or Cespedes in a position where only bargain-hunting teams are left. Could be interesting.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see players like Dexter Fowler and Howie Kendrick go unsigned until after the June draft, like Kendrys Morales a couple years ago. They are both solid players, but unless you have a desperate need, you don't really want to lose out on a first round draft pick for one of those guys. I suppose if a team has already lost their first round draft pick, a second round loss isn't so bad for Fowler or Kendrick.

I wonder what Eppler does everyday when he goes into the office.  It's the 13th, let's say he went back to work on the 4th after the holidays.  Has he just stared at Twitter and AW.com for 9 days in a row waiting for the FA's to sign somewhere like we have?

Eppler is clicking refresh on Angels Win to see if anything has happened.

I wonder what Eppler does everyday when he goes into the office.  It's the 13th, let's say he went back to work on the 4th after the holidays.  Has he just stared at Twitter and AW.com for 9 days in a row waiting for the FA's to sign somewhere like we have?

I could probably guess

So we know the halos needs.  It's actually been decently busy in terms of signings the last few days.  

Here is who's left from the top 50

Cespedes

Upton

Davis

Desmond

Fowler

Kendrick 

Gallardo

Kennedy

Jackson

Fister

Ramirez

Freese

Latos

Uribe

Venable

Clippard

Morneau

Astros - Probably in line for a SP.  Chen was gobbled up so it doesn't appear they are willing to spend at this point.  They could trade from their OF depth in that they have Springer, Gomez,  Rasmus, Marisnick, and Tucker ready to go.  Could see them adding a Justin Morneau type player

A's - unlikely to spend.  Beane seems to have been relatively quiet this off season.  Don't see them making any significant moves.  

Mariners - probably done.  could see a few minor tweaks as Jerry doesn't seem he can go a week without exchanging a player from his 40man.  

Rangers - have said they aren't gonna spend any more.  Currently the 4th highest payroll in the AL some I'm inclined to believe them but their rotation is a little thin after their considerable 1-2 punch.  Seems they are looking to put Hamilton in LF full time next year which is problematic.  Could be a dark horse to jump in at the last second to grab one of the OFers.  Would like be on a pillow contract though

TOR, NYY, BOS, TBR - all seem likely done and very unlikely to spend.  

Baltimore - still looking for pitching and a starting OFer.  Have a clear willingness to spend.  My guess is that they circle back and end up with Davis.  They are pretty much a candidate for every free agent left.  

KCR, MIN, CLE - all unlikely to spend unless its on something small.  

CWS - gonna get an OFer.  remains to be seen as to who.  Don't seem to want to spend a ton, but I could see them blinking and bringing in one of the top names.  

DET- their owner wants to win a championship and has said publicly he doesn't care about the money.  Could easily see them bringing back Cespedes. 

PHI, ATL and MIA are all likely done.  WSN as well.  

NYM - as much as their fans want them to get Cespedes back, they just don't have the scratch.  

CIN, MIL CHC PIT unlikely to make any significant moves.  The cubs could trade for a SP.  Pit could do their usual and sign a guy like Fister or Latos to a 1yr deal and turn them into a cy young candidate.  

STL seems pretty set but I could see them jumping in at the last minute for a big name OFer.  Pretty doubtful though.

SFG, ARI and COL all appear done spending.  

I think the Dogs are done but who knows.  Maybe they won the powerball....again.  

SDP seem destined to get a SS but I doubt they do much more than that.  

So overall:

Likely to still spend big money

Baltimore - likely on an OF and possibly a SP

SDP - likely on a SS

Possible

Detroit - likely an OFer

Maybe but doubtful

Rangers

Angels 

Mets

White Sox

Cardinals

By my estimate, there are quite a few quality players left and very few teams that are likely in the market to spend still.  In addition to being late in the game, the market has also done something a little odd in the last several days in that it has skipped a step.  Several of the secondary and tertiary OFers have now signed without the primary guys going.  Very odd.

The Angels may have purposefully or inadvertently put themselves in an optimal position to take advantage of a very big supply of quality players.  Several of which would help them tremendously.  This is either going to be very good for Angel fans or a frustrating free agent blue ball fest.  

There have always been those teams that jump in and spend the money the players are looking for, but there just doesn't seem to be anything remotely related to a sense of urgency from anyone.  

The bottom line is that even if the Angels were intent on not spending, there may not be an opportunity like this for many years where there is the potential to add multiple quality players on the cheap.  They may not jump in if the players demands are ultimately met, but if those demands drop it could be very very good for them.  

You gotta wonder if there is collusion at play, or some other explanation for whats been going on.

You gotta wonder if there is collusion at play, or some other explanation for whats been going on.

Doubt it. There are just too many good free agents, and not enough teams interested in spending big. This is typical of any other off-season - it just seems different because there are so many good free agents.