• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

An off year for Trout looming ??

ghoetke

At age 21, it's probably too much to ask for a repeat of last year's performance. A potentially worrisome part of his game emerging is his increasing propensity to strike out on fast balls. In fact, it's been a problem with the Halo's other power hitters too. Let's hope they all come around and produce like they can.  

Off year? It's his second year. I think the expectations for this guy is just too much and I hope he doesn't get weighed down by them.

Let the kid be. Whatever happens, happens. I think he'll do pretty well even if he doesn't turn out to be Rickey, "The Babe" Mantle Henderson. 

At age 21, it's probably too much to ask for a repeat of last year's performance. A potentially worrisome part of his game emerging is his increasing propensity to strike out on fast balls. In fact, it's been a problem with the Halo's other power hitters too. Let's hope they all come around and produce like they can.

Really, at age 21 he can't match what he did at age... 21?

The only player I'm even closed to worried about offensively is Hamilton, and he went 4 for 4 yesterday.  Everyone else has been pretty good so far; we lead the league in AVG and are second in OBP.  If we didn't go full retard with RISP over the first ten games we'd probably be around .500 or better.  

Power will come once we stop playing in icy, barren wastelands like Cincinnati and Minnesota and the weather warms up in the coming months.   

The only player I'm even closed to worried about offensively is Hamilton, and he went 4 for 4 yesterday.  Everyone else has been pretty good so far; we lead the league in AVG and are second in OBP.  If we didn't go full retard with RISP over the first ten games we'd probably be around .500 or better.  

Power will come once we stop playing in icy, barren wastelands like Cincinnati and Minnesota and the weather warms up in the coming months.   

Agreed on the power will come. Didn't we start slow last year with power hitting as well?

As for the player I'm worried about...I'm not worried about Josh, he's proven through his career that he goes through pretty bad slumps and pretty awesome hot streaks, so I'm expecting a streak sooner or later. He is probably feeling the same pressure that Pujols felt last year. I am more worried about Pujols than Hamilton primarily because of the plantar fasciitis in his foot. 

I said it in the offseason and I'll say it again: Trout is likely to regress this year, but it will be regressing from "godlike" to "awesome but mortal." I'm expecting something around .300/.850-.900 with 25 HR and 40 SB this year, and improvement next year. I've heard some fans predict ridiculous lines like .340 with 40 HR and 60 SB and I just have to shake my head. I mean it could  happen but why expect that? Its almost unfair for the poor kid. Give him a chance to be mortal.

Not worried about Trout. Come seasons end, I'm confident he'll have a BA over .290 with 20+ HR and 40+ SB to go along with good D. Last season was a season for the ages. Enjoy it because it's not something you see often. I mean, for crying out loud, he came within 1 SB of being only the THIRD PLAYER EVER to have a 30/50 season....and that's with him missing the 1st month. What Trout did last year was historic, and it's not really fair to expect him to repeat that production year in and year out. He may still yet have a 30/50 season in him somewhere, but it may not be this year

The ONLY concern Trout has shown me this year was that piss poor attempt at catching that ball last night that turned into the game tying double.   He had a horrid route to the ball and then it looked like he was trying to showboat when it wasn't necessary.  There was no excuse for someone of his caliber to miss that ball.

As far as long-term goes, I guess I worry a bit about two things: One, that his BA will fluctuate a good deal due to his high strikeout totals and trend downward sooner than later; possible (probable?) decrease in speed over the next five years, exacerbating the first issue.

.320 with 30 HR, 50 SB and Gold Glove defense is super sexy; .260 with 25 HR and 15 SB and above average defense is good but unspectacular. I'm not saying it will be so drastic, but that he's going to have to A) work on reducing those strikeouts and B) slow down on the cheeseburgers.

I'm not expecting him to be as good as 2012, just because his 2012 season was THAT GOOD(although I also wouldn't be shocked if he was that good again).

Not really concerned about him either though, I still expect him to be very, very good.

• 11 months later...