• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

My Turn

halonatic13

I get the feeling they're going cheap with this time.    Unless they're able to move Wilson or Weaver, which I hope not.

I would expect somewhere between cheap (Murphy platoon in LF) and big (on of the big 4 LF'ers)....maybe Parra, Fowler, maybe even the South Korean OF'er Kim.....probably a relief pitcher now that Gott is traded.....If we don't "go big" it will be the 3rd straight offseason that the Pujols and Hamilton signings have limited DiPoto and now Eppler to trades and/or nibbling around the edges in the FA market....and, to this point, I haven't been impressed with Eppler's trades....I liked DiPoto's trades by in large (although he missed a few).....hope Eppler proves me wrong...

Next year's free agents for outfield is TERRIBLE!  Eppler knows this.  Going for a platoon in the outfield is a terrible idea.  At this point, I'm down for any of the top 4/5 outfield guys.  We need that impact bat.  I think needs to become a #5 hitter now and let our new OF hitter step in.  Gosh I hope!

Next year's free agents for outfield is TERRIBLE!  Eppler knows this.  Going for a platoon in the outfield is a terrible idea.  At this point, I'm down for any of the top 4/5 outfield guys.  We need that impact bat.  I think needs to become a #5 hitter now and let our new OF hitter step in.  Gosh I hope!

I mentioned this in another thread, but reportedly the Padres are dangling two of their top OF prospects, including Hunter Renfroe. 

Maybe not the Padres specifically, but what if we dealt one of Skaggs/Heaney for a top OF prospect (and maybe a Gott-type prospect or salary dump reliever) and signed one of the Maeda/Leake/Gallardo/Chen group?

We have a dearth of pitching, and it'd be nice to add a really nice young OF top prospect, something only Heaney or Skaggs would bring back, and then supplement in the heavy SP FA class. It might weaken us a bit for 2016 but set us up much better in the long-haul.

Edited by totdprods

I actually think Dexter Fowler for LF, Daniel Murphy for 2B and a bullpen arm is what needs to happen.  

Fowler will be cheaper than any of the big four OF guys and if one thing was clear this Winter Meetings it is that the market for Murphy is not as big as expected.  The Mets decided to move on from him and the Dodgers went another way as well.  There just aren't that many teams looking for a 2B and despite his playoff heroics, he is not going to get the contract people thought he would prior to the offseason starting.

I actually think Dexter Fowler for LF, Daniel Murphy for 2B and a bullpen arm is what needs to happen.  

Fowler will be cheaper than any of the big four OF guys and if one thing was clear this Winter Meetings it is that the market for Murphy is not as big as expected.  The Mets decided to move on from him and the Dodgers went another way as well.  There just aren't that many teams looking for a 2B and despite his playoff heroics, he is not going to get the contract people thought he would prior to the offseason starting.

Yup, I think he may wind up being a reasonably affordable option. He'd add a lefty bat, and with the addition of Escobar now, we could put Murphy at #2 or further down in the line-up to balance things out a bit. 

I'd actually say Denard Span is a better investment than Fowler as they are very similar center fielders but Span won't cost a draft pick. And they always could resign Freese.

Trading Heaney or Skaggs, after trading Newcomb, would be a crazy bad thing to do.

Trade Santiago and let Wilson go elsewhere soon.    Then, having two lefties (Heaney and Skaggs) in the rotation is ideal.

I'm kind of hoping Wilson has a career year, then we give him a QO that he turns down, and we get an extra pick in 2017 when he signs elsewhere.

Edited by tomsred

I think that is true, we don't know how long Pujols will be down.  I would hate to get too far behind at the beginning of the season until our full roster is ready.  Houston and Texas may bury us early.

Look at Pujols' 2015 season. I'm guessing but I have no doubt he will produce 30 HRs in 2016. Unfortunately, for Pujols to do that, we are going to see a BA of .230 and 25 GIDP. An opposite field double from Pujols is going to become myth from the past.

I'm kind of hoping Wilson has a career year, then we give him a QO that he turns down, and we get an extra pick in 2017 when he signs elsewhere.

If the Angels don't end up getting one of the big free agents ... then trading Wilson early doesn't make sense. I expect Wilson to be a front end starter and innings eater next season.

Look at Pujols' 2015 season. I'm guessing but I have no doubt he will produce 30 HRs in 2016. Unfortunately, for Pujols to do that, we are going to see a BA of .230 and 25 GIDP. An opposite field double from Pujols is going to become myth from the past.

I agree. If Pujols can come to camp twenty pounds lighter ... I think his batting average should improve.

Edited by Troll Daddy

If the Angels don't end up getting one of the big free agents ... then trading Wilson early doesn't make sense. I expect Wilson to be a front end starter and innings eater next season.

If Wilson pitches well and the Angels are in contention in July, there is no reason to trade him at all. If he's giving you an ERA of 3.50 and pitching toward 200 innings, keep him and give him a QO at the end of the season.

Without Upton or Cespedes this offseason would be a bust. 

I'm fine with Gio at 2b. 

Can I ask... why are you OK with Giavotella at 2B? His defense in 2015 was statistically baseball's worst. If another 2B can come close to his .694 OPS and play basic, league average defense, that would be a 2.2 WAR player instead of a 1.0 WAR player.

Do we think Cowart or Kubitza could manage a .700 OPS? I'm honestly just wondering. I think they could, despite last years results. 

A players first few games in the majors aren't usually a true test of where he's going to be at.