• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Academic Cheating

Adam

I always got into arguments with high school math teachers over showing my work.  It's really all about control, and doing things their way.

Wrong. It's about making sure you know how to do the work and that you aren't just copying down someone else's answers.

Never cheated enough to have a technique. However, in my high school advanced algebra class the teacher was a alcoholic. Every time he gave a test he would leave the class to hit the sauce and be gone for a good 20 minutes, leaving the student aide in charge. The aide would then read off the answers.

I got an A in that class. So did almost everyone else.

i remember in AP history in HS, i was taking a test and we were using a scantron where the back side had already been used before the previous year.

as I'm going, for some reason i flipped mine over and noticed the pattern was the same on both sides.

so basically he used the same scantron template (or whatever) for all tests.

i noticed this on the next test as well.

eventually everyone caught on, and the tests became a joke and most everyone was acing them.

he was my advisor for international baccalaureate, so one day i asked him about it.

he's like yeah, i do that, and folks can easily cheat.

but then guess what happens to those cheaters when they take the AP/IB history test? they get creamed.

so its totally up to them if they want to be lazy or not.

smart dude.

after that i made sure to never flip it over, and i didn't ace every test in his class but i ace'd the AP and IP history exams.

taught me a valuable life lesson: sure its usually pretty easy to cheat and get the grade on any given test, but just putting in the effort and learning the material will get you much further in most every field.

especially in HS or college: i mean you're already forced to be there (or paying mad $$ for it), might as well learn something from the folks who spend their life researching/teaching this stuff.

You were in an IB program in high school?  I'm curious...

We have an IB track at our school (I don't teach this track.) I've always wondered whether you think that IB helped you to get into the college and career you chose.  As I'm sure you know, IB is a program that schools pay for and I wonder what the true "benefits" are for the student. 

I'll take your response of the air, thanks.

I know you're not talking to me,but I'm an IB teacher. 

The curriculum I teach for IB Literature (higher level) is harder than I did in my first year of English classes in college.  Students have to become better writers and better at analytical thinking, or they get an F, and we remove them from IB completely.  The number of students I have who email and visit and tell me that what they're doing in college is a breeze compared to what they did in IB...there are lots. And it's not just for Lit, but also for the sciences and history if students take that. 

A student can choose to go for a "full diploma" with a full course load of English/history/math/science/foreign langauge, and most colleges where I'm from give up to 1.5+ years of college credit if they get a high overall score on the IB tests.  And even if they just get a "certificate" in a specific class, they can get some credit in that subject at college. 

a BIG part of whether or not students can get college credit is if the classes they take are "HIGHER LEVEL" or "STANDARD LEVEL". The higher level classes are quite a bit more rigorous, and universities take them more seriously for college credit. 

Thanks for the response.  If I understand correctly, the classes in high school are typically AP classes, correct?  If a student scores a 3 or 4, they get college credit for that class.  Is that correct? 

The IB/AP stuff can be a total disaster if the goal is to accumulate college credits -- especially for math and science courses.

You'll forget the Calculus long before you need it again 3 or 4 years later as a junior or senior in college.  At that point, universities assume you're competent in those areas and offer no remedial help.

I did no honors programs or AP classes

when i graduated, these things didn't exist. relax, that only back in 1978.

today, my daughter has the option of a regular diploma, an AP diploma, or a college prep diploma. she opted for college prep. 

we don't offer IB classes at my school or in the adventist system. What is it and what does it stand for? it sounds pretty rigorous.

i did full IB diploma.

its no joke difficult.

its pretty much the hardest HS curriculum in the world (as far as i know, at least it definitely it in the US).

i can honestly say my junior and senior year of HS were more difficult than my freshman year at berkeley.

as for credits, sure you can get them some places.

i used mine to skip out on intro english/literature requirements but that's it.

at berkeley they won't give you CS or math credits no matter what your score. 

they say "we don't care how well you did in HS. we want you to learn berkeley math." 

i.e. they want to make sure you didn't have an easy program in hs and then got rocked in the big leagues.

like Cez said, its lightyears harder than AP classes. the higher level stuff especially.

take his example for literature - and its similar for computer science, physics, math, philosophy, music, french (or whatever language), etc.

it was brutal tough. fun though.

AMAZING for prep for college.

and for college applications the full ib diploma is pretty much the best thing you can have (being an eagle scout is up there too).

i got into everywhere i applied: berkeley, stanford, debbie dootson school of trucking, mit, caltech, ucla, bunch of other snooty east coast places i had no intention of attending (harvard, yale, brown)

Edited by mrwicked

I'm next in line to teach the "Theory of Knowledge" class for IB at my school.

It's a philosophy/epistemology class that Full Diploma students have to take, and they usually get 2 years to write a paper on any academic subject that interests them.

I can't wait to teach it. The guy who teaches it right now is a role model/mentor of mine, and he knows I'm chomping at the bit. 

one of my favorite classes!

TOK and IB philosophy were so fun in HS.

my HS was great because we had the largest library of philosophy books in the county (at least thats what they said)

i even went on to minor in philosophy in college because i had such a great experience with it in high school.

Edited by mrwicked

I got terrible grades in high school. Always did well on tests and projects, but never did the regular homework and never took notes in class (this was a big deal at my school, as most classes made you take notes and turn them in daily for like 20% of your total grade). Got into a lot of arguments with teachers over that one. So yeah, it was pretty normal for me to ace every test and project in a class, then end up with a C overall. College treated me much better.

Ah, notes. I'll never forget an 8th grade history teacher, Mr. Leslie. Looking back he'd be great to have a beer with, but back then students feared his class.

He required notes, but with a twist. The following day he'd randomly pick two students out of a hat and if they didn't have their notes they had to write sentences. It's was a 2 out of 30/45 chance. I got caught once.

I'll never forget that dude. I still have the yearbook from then where he wrote, "Never settle for a B when you can easily get an A"

Story of my life, even as a kid.

I'm sure it's changed a bit since 1981 but AP American History was my all time favorite high school class. At least my favorite one that didn't involve power tools.

When I was in the Air Force I was investigated for test compromise because I got too high of scores on the PFE (non-job related military crap) and I had to show them my study flash cards that I made just by perusing the book and turning everything that looked like a question into a question and reviewing the cards during the constant down time that is inherent in my old job.

i did full IB diploma.

its no joke difficult.

its pretty much the hardest HS curriculum in the world (as far as i know, at least it definitely it in the US).

i can honestly say my junior and senior year of HS were more difficult than my freshman year at berkeley.

they say "we don't care how well you did in HS. we want you to learn berkeley math." 

i.e. they want to make sure you didn't have an easy program in hs and then got rocked in the big leagues.

like Cez said, its lightyears harder than AP classes. the higher level stuff especially.

take his example for literature - and its similar for computer science, physics, math, philosophy, music, french (or whatever language), etc.

and for college applications the full ib diploma is pretty much the best thing you can have (being an eagle scout is up there too).

i got into everywhere i applied: berkeley, stanford, debbie dootson school of trucking, mit, caltech, ucla, bunch of other snooty east coast places i had no intention of attending (harvard, yale, brown)

You gotta love Cal. I'm surprised they don't make their honorary doctorates pay to take classes in their field prior to getting their diplomas. 

I never cheated. Seriously cannot recall a single time I cheated in any class, at any grade level.

High school was hard for me, and law school was challenging as well, but for whatever reason college was easy. My worst grade in college was a B- (in just one class; everything else was B or higher). On a number of occasions I had professors ask if they could distribute my papers to the class as an example of how to write a perfect paper. I guess that is what made college easy - I was at least a decent writer.

Edited by wopphil

i did full IB diploma.

its no joke difficult.

So if these classes are much harder than college equivalents, how are high school teachers with a BA/BS degree qualified to teach them? 

I've never understood that.