• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mattingly, Dodgers part ways

John Taylor

I gotta think the Dodgers are going to go with one of three 'in-house' candidates at this point:  I would rank them (in terms of Dodgers chances of hiring them) in this order:

1.) Ron Roenecke (he was hired as Dodgers third base coach mid-season this year and is, therefore, part of the 'new' FO regime hires in LA. - has managerial experience, Dodger product and LA area native)

2.) Tim Wallach -- deserves a managerial shot -- has been AAA manager with LA organization for a number of years - then up with big club. Sort of where Scioscia was ''waiting in the wings' to replace for Lasorda and then the Dodgers organization and Lasorda turned on him.  I will always respect Scioscia for walking away from the Dodgers after he gave them years of loyal service and they just turned on him -- Lasorda's conduct was typically two-faced : "I love the guy" in public and undermining Sosh in private. Wallach may be next in line for this kind of treatment from LA.

3.) Gabe Kapler -- I just don't see this happening -- the Dodgers have better in-house alternatives (above) with managerial experience. If Kapler wants to be an MLB - he needs to head to Albuquerque for a few years of AAA experience (as Wallach did and has done).

4.) NOT IN HOUSE -- but my favorite -- BUD BLACK -- for all the scenarios for having Sosh leaving here to take the LA Dogs job (I just don't see that happening) -- my favorite scenario for that would be Dodgers get Scioscia and we get BUD BLACK who hires Ron Roenecke as his third base/ bench coach for the Halos.

Terry Collins -- in the World Series. Collins is a guy who spent years of apprenticeship in the LA Dodgers organization and spent a number of years at Albuquerque (AAA). He was an heir apparent and something happened there. Got the Halos job and then was part of what I consider some of the worst periods in Halos history -- the end of Mo Vaughn's time here (a disaster from literally game one with him) with a total mutiny in the clubhouse and a total melt down.  Collins gets a re-assurance, sort of a contract extension one day and a week later he's out. A completely LOST season with August/ September playing out the string time being almost surreal. Collins couldn't get an MLB job for years after that. I was at the series the weekend he was let go -remember his crying act at the press conference.

Read that link in the prior post about the Dogs cleaning house.

WOW -- Rick Honeycutt has been the pitching coach there through about the last five managers.

Mark McGwire should have never left St. Louis where he was hitting coach -- fans loved him there and didn't get the razzing he gets elsewhere.

I think Roenicke ends up with the Dodgers managerial job and Wallach gets an offer from some other team, I would think.

The rest of the Dodger coaching staff seems like toast -- perhaps they'll wind up with Mattingly in Miami.

Before we all keep going on about how Scioscia and Maddon are the same can anyone actually back this up?

How often is Maddon bunting early in games with a sacrifice compared to Scioscia? Which players is he doing it with? How about shifts, steals, using your closer in different rolls, using an optimized line up?

Otherwise this seems like anecdotal story telling. Last post season Mike Trout struck out a lot and this post season Hamilton struck out a lot. They did the same thing yet people here think Mike Trout is the best baseball player and Hamilton sinks!

Every manager is going to make tactical mistakes (not optimizing the chances of winning) but it's how often it's done. And sometimes it's done because baseball players aren't robots and need to be managed as people. Sometimes it's done so teams aren't predictable. But to just cherry pick some plays over a small sample to say that two managers are the same doesn't seem reasonable.

One of the gripes about Scioscia is he plays around with the lineup too much. As an apples to apples comparison in 2014 the Angels fielded 125 different batting orders. Maddon and the 2014 Rays fielded 129. You can scrub through year to year batting order variations for both managers and they have about the same amount of altered lineups each season. Each trying to squeeze a little more out of their roster and find out which players are the right fit or even moving players with a hot bat into a slot where it will do the most good.

Before we all keep going on about how Scioscia and Maddon are the same can anyone actually back this up?

How often is Maddon bunting early in games with a sacrifice compared to Scioscia? Which players is he doing it with? How about shifts, steals, using your closer in different rolls, using an optimized line up?

Otherwise this seems like anecdotal story telling. Last post season Mike Trout struck out a lot and this post season Hamilton struck out a lot. They did the same thing yet people here think Mike Trout is the best baseball player and Hamilton sinks!

Every manager is going to make tactical mistakes (not optimizing the chances of winning) but it's how often it's done. And sometimes it's done because baseball players aren't robots and need to be managed as people. Sometimes it's done so teams aren't predictable. But to just cherry pick some plays over a small sample to say that two managers are the same doesn't seem reasonable.

How often are the Angels bunting early in games not including Aybar who bunts on his own all the time. Who shouldn't be bunting on the Angels? Here's my list, Trout, Albert, Kole, Cron and Freese. I'm guessing this past year that group bunted zero times, maybe Kole once, but doubtful.

I think all managers do essentially the same things...what makes one better than the other is whether they work or they don't.

Pretty simple.

Knowing when something will work, and knowing when you have the right players to do whatever you want to accomplish, is what separates managers.

I read here all the time that Scioscia just isn't given the right players to manage the way he wants to...but it also takes the manager knowing the skillsets of the players he has, both what they are good at and what they aren't.

Team dynamics change each and every year. You can't just manage one way, with different strengths and weaknesses.

Some years teams are going to be more suited to a certain style, while next years might be suited to another.

Injuries and other variables can change the dynamics of a team overnight, and then back again a few days or weeks later.

Stubborn insistence on a "one game-plan fits all" style of managing, isn't using what a manager has (a full roster of players) to it's best advantage. 

And ..It takes working on fundamentals, even during the season, to keep players sharp at doing small things to win games.

My biggest beef with Scioscia lies in this area. Right-lefty matchups are set in stone with him, damn the torpedos (stats) and full speed ahead with stubborn insistence. Playing for single run innings early in ballgames, no matter what. 

Plugging a star player into a slot in the batting order and leaving him there until hell freezes.

Bottom line, for me, is yeah...they all do similar if not identical things...but for some it works and for others it doesn't.

Scoreboard.

Be flexible and sometimes even unpredictable. Make decisions that actually work....win ballgames...everyone is happy.

Edited by Homebrewer

How often are the Angels bunting early in games not including Aybar who bunts on his own all the time. Who shouldn't be bunting on the Angels? Here's my list, Trout, Albert, Kole, Cron and Freese. I'm guessing this past year that group bunted zero times, maybe Kole once, but doubtful.

Calhoun had two sacrifice bunts, Giavotella 9, Aybar 7, Featherston and Jackson with 4, in total 37 sacrifice bunts and 40 sacrifice Flys over 162 games.

How bout we do this. We will compare 2014 since they were both in the American League. IN 2014 the Rays had 43 sacrifice bunts the Angels had 26. This year the team had 37, so we are going to bitch about the team sacrifice bunting once 4.5 games? I swear when people watch these games they watch it to see what they want to see and not really what is happening. Also, Longoria had a sacrifice bunt.

Looks like the Dodgers might have a secret weapon...SRPSI

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-manager-20151024-story.html

Kapler also authors a blog about nutrition and fitness. In August, he used the platform to encourage baseball players to expose their private parts to sunlight as a method of increasing testosterone production.

Edited by red321

Kapler also authors a blog about nutrition and fitness. In August, he used the platform to encourage baseball players to expose their private parts to sunlight as a method of increasing testosterone production.

That would suck if you lived in alaska in the winter. Just tons of man boobs probably

wow, this guy is a real nutter––and charlatan.