• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Chris Davis

martinpa25

Yay or nay? I'll start...yay. The guy basically guarantees 40 bombs and 100 + steaks each year..he won't come cheap -_-

If he is a guaranteed 40 bombs than pay the guy the money.  Hamilton would have been worth the money if he put up the same numbers as he did in Texas, Pujols would be worth the money if he put up the same numbers as he did with the Cards.  What makes you think Davis is guaranteed 40 bombs?  Trout isn't guaranteed 40 bombs.

If he is a guaranteed 40 bombs than pay the guy the money. Hamilton would have been worth the money if he put up the same numbers as he did in Texas, Pujols would be worth the money if he put up the same numbers as he did with the Cards. What makes you think Davis is guaranteed 40 bombs? Trout isn't guaranteed 40 bombs.

His raw power..I didn't mean it literally, but I suppose you get the idea..nothing is guaranteed in baseball but the guy can hit..you'd think the Angels are due for a free agent signee to pan out

Trade Cron and Santiago for a more polished starting pitcher that can give you more than 5 innings a game.

Sign Chris Davis for cleanup, Denard Span for LF (leadoff guy), trade for Panik or sign Zobrist for 2B. 

Offseason over! 

LF Span

2B Zobrist or Panik

CF Trout

DH Davis

1B Pujols

RF Calhoun

SS Aybar

C  Perez/Bandy

3B Cowart/Kubitza

SP Richards

SP <Trade>

SP Heaney

SP Weaver/Shoemaker/Tropeano

SP Skaggs

Was gonna make my own thread with the same title earlier. Its not that im super sold on him, but chuck and i are thinking the same thing. Span for LF and Davis hitting behind trout would instantly change this entire lineup i think. Its literally, IMO, a perfect fit.

Then again were the angels so the two would probably crash into each other chasing a fly ball and miss the year. Even if davis was DH.

But seriously, span is a bonafide leadoff hitter. Something weve lacked for a bit. Davis makes up for the lack of depth, leaving pujols and calhoun to round out the back part of the moto. After that you just let aybar be himself (even in a non special year), hope perez can be average at C and were looking good.

The cherry on top is if you can do that, AND fix 2B/3B. Do that, then trade for the elusive prado/neil walker deal we all want but wont happen, and this offense becomes very good. Maybe not cubs good, but very scary against most clubs.

His price tag will probably be too high, so i doubt it happens. But the davis/span combo would be huge.

As far as his HRs traveled in 2015, the Great RF Wall may still eat some of those surefire HRs elsewhere.

He would have fewer HRs (maybe 30-35?) and more doubles (maybe 35-40?).

That would still produce a solid SLG% as long as his BA didn't tank like in 2014.

His OBP would still be an asset.

In Chuck's scenario (Zobrist being the 2B), the only question is Span's health after the hip surgery.  

Well, that and Pujols agreeing to bat 5th, although it makes perfect sense after his 2015 season's low RISP BA.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Josh Hamilton part deux

The right field wall would eat this guy alive

yeah, it might. And thats a good point for any lefty guy we sign, and power guys in general with our park. That said, we play half our games on the road too.

I think you have to keep in mind that if you taper expectations, some guys may dip numbers wise when they come here,but are still good players. Pujols 12' i think was very good. Obviously a brutal first month, but afterwards he was very good. St louis numbers, no, but good for our park.

If you could get davis (for a reasonable deal) and he hits .270 with 30 home runs, id be happy. Obviously we would grossly overpay, but wed have a middle of the order again.

The guy has legit power, even considering our right filed wall, but I don't see how he really matches up with our needs except for lefthanded power.  

I guess you can trade Cron for something (not much) and have him be a 1B/DH counterpart with Pujols but you would still have a hole in LF.  How much would you be willing to pay for essentially:

.250 35 HR .340 OBP .850 OPS with 200 k's because that is what you'll probably be seeing from Davis moving from Camden to Anaheim.

His value would increase dramatically if he could actually still play 3B, but he can't and he only played a total of 11 games in LF last season, where he is actually needed.  

If other needs are met from signings or trades, and he's still on the market, sure, why not, but I wouldn't bust the bank over him.

The problem is, say we sign heyward. He "could" leadoff, but is probably better suited batting 2cd (same as trout). Wed still be missing a leadoff guy, and power.

We could sign cespedes or upton, they could bat 4th, but then we still have a hole at leadoff.

I think we need to target span hard personally. But wed still lack power.

A lot of this would be different if cron was legit..

I'll give him one kudos, he did improve his OBP this year. When he shows patients at the plate, he turns that into production. Maybe he's learned. Although, the other side of that looks dismal. A big gamble imo. Especially if he costs what some project he will.  

And he still has that ass-hat Boras as an agent. I just don't see it. 

I rather have Gerardo Parra (Orioles) in LF, Daniel Murphy at 2B, Freese at 3B, and trade Santiago for Bullpen help. Murphy might not cost us a pick because I think the Mets will not give him a QO, same with Parra who is a decent LF. Freese signed for 3-4 years at 8 mil would be fair.

He's hit over 40 home runs twice so it's far from a guarantee but there's no denying his power.  He had a bounce back year this year but after a breakout 2013 season he hit a whopping .196 in 2014 and I'd be weary of giving him a long term contract.  Some guys figure it out later and he looks to be one of them but given the Angels needs in the field I don't think he's a good fit.  If the Angels didn't have Pujols it would make more sense but we're talking about a guy who is mostly used as at 1B and DH and will probably get a decent sized contract.