• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels expected to look for a big bat

SoWhat

I think Alex Gordon might fly under the radar since he's somewhat overshadowed by Cespedes, Heyward, and Upton.. 

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he ends up far more productive than the so called "big bats" available.

Unlike Heyward, upton, and Cespedes(to an extent), he's not a product of the NL. Which is a huge factor imo.

Alex Gordon would definitely be a good option, other then Heyward, I think it would be a coin flip between him and Cespedes, but he'd be much cheaper.  

I have extreme reservations about Justin Upton.

And yet people have the biggest hard on for Heyward. The guy that was the #4 hitter for the team with the best record in baseball. Who only had 60 RBI's. With a career high of 82 RBI's in a season. Who with runners in scoring position had a .708 OPS, .264 avg, .359 OBP. He can't hit anybody in. Just walk in pressure situations and hope the guy behind him can get the job done. Oh, and in three years, .729 OPS with a high OBP and low avg.

You know the saying, we want a hitter, not a belly itcher. And Heyward is a belly itcher. Crawford 2.0.

Besides Trout do we currently have anybody with better stats than that?

Last I checked, out of respect for the Royals organization, Gordon will be returning, one way or another.

Heyward is a very good leadof or #2 hitter, which we need, Cespedes is amazing with runners on, a true run producing #4/5 hitter, which we need, and Upton kind of in the middle, which we need.

I don't think I can argue semantics on this knee because I would be thrilled with any.

So, let me get this straight, the Angels, who struggled all this year with scoring, will be looking to secure personnel who can assist them in scoring runs?

That, my friends, is hard-hitting journalism at its finest

Its hard for me to read anything you write with that avatar.

Keep posting.

Is there even a big bat left-handed 3B in MLB? I'm drawing a blank here

thats the thing. For years ive heard people complain that we didnt have a power hitting 3B. Its a myth. Yes, there are some out there, but rhere is a reason they are stars. Its like saying we have failed because we dont have a MOTO hitting catcher...there really arent a ton. For every machado theres 3 callaspo types.

I think Alex Gordon might fly under the radar since he's somewhat overshadowed by Cespedes, Heyward, and Upton..

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he ends up far more productive than the so called "big bats" available.

Unlike Heyward, upton, and Cespedes(to an extent), he's not a product of the NL. Which is a huge factor imo.

id actually almost prefer him, but i think he stays in KC

Why not? He would be a very good DH that could hit 4-5 in the line up, he's a professional hitter. He's incredibly slow, but he's a run producer.

He had a -1.5 WAR last season and outside of this one he is at best a 1.5 WAR player.  no thanks.

Kendrys isn't a free agent anyway.  He's got another year at 9mil and then a mutual option for 11mil.  

He got stuck in boras contract hell back in 2014.  His own fault of course, but it explains his poor season.  I think his overall numbers say who he is.  a .280, 115-120 ops+ sort of guy that's gonna drive in runs.

There just aren't going to be big bats readily available unless you really make it worth it to another team.  Expectations have changed with the advent of the 2nd wild card in that everyone thinks they have a shot at least at the start of the season.  That said, I don't see the cubs, pirates, or cards going anywhere and the nats will have a better year next year.  So getting in via the NL is gonna be a tough task unless you get to 95 wins aside from winning the division.  

And yet people have the biggest hard on for Heyward.  The guy that was the #4 hitter for the team with the best record in baseball.  Who only had 60 RBI's.  With a career high of 82 RBI's in a season.  Who with runners in scoring position had a .708 OPS, .264 avg, .359 OBP.  He can't hit anybody in.  Just walk in pressure situations and hope the guy behind him can get the job done.  Oh, and in three years, .729 OPS with a high OBP and low avg.  

You know the saying, we want a hitter, not a belly itcher.  And Heyward is a belly itcher.  Crawford 2.0.  

It's not really a big deal since we would get Hayward to lead off, or at least hit in front of Trout - assuming we aren't brain dead.

forget the big bat.

Team needs offensively should be on OPS and speed. A true lead-off hitter with speed, someone maybe like Dee Gordon (move him or Aybar to second base).

Third base, doesn't need to have power just a good OPS and low strikeout %.

Outfield - OPS and speed. I like Kole C. but he could be a good trade option to get someone with better OPS, speed, AND LESS STRIKEOUTS!

Pitching

We need a true power closer, Street needs to step down and be the set up guy... Maybe Aroldis Chapman....

Also need an Ace or two... I Love the Met's starters, why cant we multiple starters that can average 95 +

If J Weaver. wants to stick around then some kind of expectations need to be meet for his velocity...83 is not going to cut it. Get it back up to 88ish and we can talk, otherwise learn the knuckleball.

Edited by tpalmer

The only real left handed power bat I see on the market is Chris Davis and I think that's a bad idea for the Halos. Stay the course and get a Span, Fowler, or Parra type of player in left to leadoff. Get a Zobrist or Prado type of player to bounce around everywhere and lighten the load on Giavotella and Cowart/Kubitza. I'm all for adding power, it just doesn't seem like the right time to add it with the lack of trade chips. Kole, Trout, Pujols, and maybe Cron can provide some thunder, just add guys around them that can get on base to be slugged in.