• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What's wrong with Mike Trout?

Angelsjunky

Interesting article I read a couple weeks back:  http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/why-mike-trout-aint-right/

I think maybe it wasn't so much the injury nagging him.  Maybe it just threw him off initially and in trying to readjust he faced a lot of tough pitching.  As Fletch has said though, he is hitting well over the last couple weeks so we can hope that he has figured it out.

He's got about a .950 OPS over the last 12 games.

With a horrible average and tons of k's

Honestly I didn't know his OPS has been that good over the last couple weeks.

I've also noticed a lot of hard hit balls right at guys so I think luck has something to do with it, also. I'm not good enough with these stat websites to look at his BABIP over the last couple of weeks

Edited by AngelintheTroutfield

Harper and Donaldson are the best hitters in baseball right now.

Donaldson will win the AL MVP easily. Trout is regressing probably because of exhaustion and or all the Pete Rose type of abuse he's put on his body the past four seasons.

And we know you are happy about it because you get to try and push buttons because you hate life. carry on...

With a horrible average and tons of k's

Honestly I didn't know his OPS has been that good over the last couple weeks.

I've also noticed a lot of hard hit balls right at guys so I think luck has something to do with it, also. I'm not good enough with these stat websites to look at his BABIP over the last couple of weeks

BAbip in August was .304 in August compared to a career of .357.  The last 2 weeks he has hit well and has also had a .385 BAbip.

He's got about a .950 OPS over the last 12 games.

This is a bit misleading Jeff, or at least very selective because 12 games ago he went 4-for-4.

Last 12 games: .293/.423/.537

Last 11 games: .216/.375/.405

Hmm. Might as well throw this in - since August 1: .224/.364/.366 in 165 PA

Yeah, I think something's wrong.

lol. the haters here will still be unhappy.

some people aren't happy unless they are miserable. 

As I wrote below, his OPS in the last 11 games is .780. How s it hating to point that out? As I wrote above, Jeff very selectively chose the last 12 games to include that one great game. If you pull it back by one game and Trout has been mediocre the last 11 games, or if you look at the last month and a half he's been kinda bad.

And we know you are happy about it because you get to try and push buttons because you hate life. carry on...

Not sure what flipped your lid here but whatever. I was just saying that Trout is overworked and the fans expectations are over the top.

Trout is still a great player but he doesn't have to be the best player in baseball to be appreciated. The numbers that Donaldson and Harper are putting up are superior but so what. Deal with it!

What does he do that over works him that he shouldn't be doing on a better team? If he can run down balls in the outfield shouldn't he do that regardless of the team around him? If he can steal a base shouldn't he do that? If he can score from first on a double shouldn't he? The over worked or carrying the team thing does work as a position player in baseball. CC Sabathia when he was on the Brewers, sure. Kobe in basketball, sure. Adrian Peterson in football, yep. A hitter in baseball, no, it makes no sense. He still bats the same amount of times and as we've all pointed out he doesn't steal bases much. He's not overworked. He's either hurt or slumping.

As I wrote below, his OPS in the last 11 games is .780. How s it hating to point that out? As I wrote above, Jeff very selectively chose the last 12 games to include that one great game. If you pull it back by one game and Trout has been mediocre the last 11 games, or if you look at the last month and a half he's been kinda bad.

So if you take out a player's best games stats his numbers aren't as good?

So if you take out a player's best games stats his numbers aren't as good?

My point is that Jeff said "last 12 games". If you change it to "last 11 games" the numbers are very different. 12 was an arbitrary that Jeff picked that, whether intentionally or not, made Trout's recent performance look better than it actually is.

What does he do that over works him that he shouldn't be doing on a better team? If he can run down balls in the outfield shouldn't he do that regardless of the team around him? If he can steal a base shouldn't he do that? If he can score from first on a double shouldn't he? The over worked or carrying the team thing does work as a position player in baseball. CC Sabathia when he was on the Brewers, sure. Kobe in basketball, sure. Adrian Peterson in football, yep. A hitter in baseball, no, it makes no sense. He still bats the same amount of times and as we've all pointed out he doesn't steal bases much. He's not overworked. He's either hurt or slumping.

Overworked can also be mental particularly since he was anointed as the face of baseball. That's a lot of pressure to put on one guy. Then you add all of the commercials, magazines, public realations and personal appearances he has to commit to. Every at bat is under a microscope and the fans expect perfection. Maybe the scouting reports have caught up to him because he is no longer a triple crown threat and it's not even close. He's still a terrific baseball player but he's not the best hitter in baseball. People have to accept that.

I'll wait until next season to assume he's not the best player in the game. Donaldson is great, but he benefits from that ballpark no different than Vernon Wells did. I'm not saying he's Vernon Wells but he's also not better than Trout.

So you are saying that Mike Trout would thrive in a hitters ballpark surrounded by a competent lineup? Thank you, I rest my case. He will probably request a trade at some time if Arte doesn't get a new stadium and a GM that knows how to build a team around him.

Overworked can also be mental particularly since he was anointed as the face of baseball. That's a lot of pressure to put on one guy. Then you add all of the commercials, magazines, public realations and personal appearances he has to commit to. Every at bat is under a microscope and the fans expect perfection. Maybe the scouting reports have caught up to him because he is no longer a triple crown threat and it's not even close. He's still a terrific baseball player but he's not the best hitter in baseball. People have to accept that.

It wasn't even just calling him the best overall player in baseball, the constant comparison between Trout and some of the all time greatest players of all time in the media has been over the top.

Overemphasizing career home runs for Pujols may also be influencing him to press and attempt to hit HR every at bat instead of putting the ball in play more often and hitting the ball the other way from time to time, which would lead to an overall better offensive performance.

So you are saying that Mike Trout would thrive in a hitters ballpark surrounded by a competent lineup? Thank you, I rest my case. He will probably request a trade at some time if Arte doesn't get a new stadium and a GM that knows how to build a team around him.

Considering he is so enamored with expensive offensive free agents, Arte really should have moved in the fences in Anaheim. A combination of reducing the height of the outfield walls, and building a false wall much lower and slightly closer to the plate over in RF would have been wise. 

If the idea was to leave Angel Stadium pitcher friendly, we should have spent more money and attention on pitchers. 

Keep assuming the worst Claude, it's what you do.

Keep assuming the worst Claude, it's what you do.

constantly assuming the worst means you'll less often be blindsided with bad outcomes and you'll more often be pleasantly surprised.