• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What's wrong with Mike Trout?

Angelsjunky

Keep assuming the worst Claude, it's what you do.

Strad you mentioned that Trout does not play in a hitters ballpark. Well neither does Harper and he's doing just fine. We have to stop worrying about Trout being the best player in baseball and move on. Maybe that could change if Trout would get some help instead of putting everything on his shoulders. The guy that hits after him is hitting .249 and I'm sure Trout feels it.

Strad you mentioned that Trout does not play in a hitters ballpark. Well neither does Harper and he's doing just fine. We have to stop worrying about Trout being the best player in baseball and move on. Maybe that could change if Trout would get some help instead of putting everything on his shoulders. The guy that hits after him is hitting .249 and I'm sure Trout feels it.

You are basing this on your feelings and not reality. Me thinking he's the best player in the game puts zero extra pressure on him. And Albert hitting .249 has zero impact on Trout swinging through belt high fastballs.

It wasn't even just calling him the best overall player in baseball, the constant comparison between Trout and some of the all time greatest players of all time in the media has been over the top.

Overemphasizing career home runs for Pujols may also be influencing him to press and attempt to hit HR every at bat instead of putting the ball in play more often and hitting the ball the other way from time to time, which would lead to an overall better offensive performance.

Considering he is so enamored with expensive offensive free agents, Arte really should have moved in the fences in Anaheim. A combination of reducing the height of the outfield walls, and building a false wall much lower and slightly closer to the plate over in RF would have been wise. 

If the idea was to leave Angel Stadium pitcher friendly, we should have spent more money and attention on pitchers. 

Yes please enough of the Mantle comparisons.

Mike Trout has never even had a 1.000+ops season. Miggy has 3, Pujols had 8, Fielder has 2, Votto has 2 and is closing in on a 3rd. Mauer has 1 and even Chris Davis has 1. Harper will lock in his 1st this season. 

People need to stop making Trout more than he is and expecting more than he can give.

Mike Trout has never even had a 1.000+ops season. Miggy has 3, Pujols had 8, Fielder has 2, Votto has 2 and is closing in on a 3rd. Mauer has 1 and even Chris Davis has 1. Harper will lock in his 1st this season.

People need to stop making Trout more than he is and expecting more than he can give.

Yes and not a single one of those guys does what Trout does on the bases.

So 1K OPS is the magic number to show that Trout should be considered as the best player in the game? 

Trout vs Harper OPS

2012: .963 vs. .817

2013: .988 vs. .854

2014: .939 vs. .768

2015: .963 vs. 1.113

The grass is always greener with you. 

Jd0de_6v.jpeg

You realize that OPS fluctuates over time? At least use OPS+, which is adjusted for league average.

Let's compare some of those players you mention by OPS+ in their first four full seasons. I'll focus on the best that you mention, as I think everyone will agree that Trout is a much better player and hitter than Chris Davis and Bryce Harper has only been in the league three years.

Mantle: 117, 162, 144, 158

Pujols: 157, 151, 187, 173

Mauer: 107, 144, 118, 134

Cabrera: 106, 130, 151, 159

Votto: 125, 156, 171, 155

Fielder: 110, 157, 130, 166

Trout: 168, 169, 178, 169

Now here is how they rank in terms of the average of the four years (weighted equally):

Trout 171

Pujols 167

Votto 151.8

Mantle 145.3

Fielder 140.

Cabrera 136.5

Mauer 125.8

Hmmm....I think Trout fairs pretty well. Consider also that of the other six players and their 24 seasons, only 3 seasons were better than any Trout season - two by Pujols and one by Votto.

Edited by Angelsjunky

So 1K OPS is the magic number to show that Trout should be considered as the best player in the game? 

Trout vs Harper OPS

2012: .963 vs. .817

2013: .988 vs. .854

2014: .939 vs. .768

2015: .963 vs. 1.113

The grass is always greener with you. 

Jd0de_6v.jpeg

Pay attention....we will use live stats. Not yesterdays news.

Mike Trout 24 years old.....293 / 35hrs / 77rbi's / .968ops / 7.6 war 

Bryce Harper 22 years old....333 / 36hrs / 85rbi's / 1.111ops / 8.9 war 

Mike Trout won his 1st MVP award in 2014

Bryce Harper will win his 1st MVP award in 2015

They are both great players but Harper is a much better hitter. 

Pay attention....we will use live stats. Not yesterdays news.

Mike Trout 24 years old.....293 / 35hrs / 77rbi's / .968ops / 7.6 war 

Bryce Harper 22 years old....333 / 36hrs / 85rbi's / 1.111ops / 8.9 war 

Mike Trout won his 1st MVP award in 2014

Bryce Harper will win his 1st MVP award in 2015

They are both great players but Harper is a much better hitter. 

What is "live stats"? lol. 

You must be a pleasure to be around...

2318389296_OLD_MAN_ANGRY_answer_2_xlarge

You realize that OPS fluctuates over time? At least use OPS+, which is adjusted for league average.

Let's compare some of those players you mention by OPS+ in their first four full seasons. I'll focus on the best that you mention, as I think everyone will agree that Trout is a much better player and hitter than Chris Davis and Bryce Harper has only been in the league three years.

Now here is how they rank in terms of the average of the four years (weighted equally):

Trout 171

Pujols 167

Votto 151.8

Mantle 145.3

Fielder 140.

Cabrera 136.5

Mauer 125.8

Hmmm....I think Trout fairs pretty well. Consider also that of the other six players and their 24 seasons, only 3 seasons were better than any Trout season - two by Pujols and one by Votto.

team-hong-kong-30.jpg

Trout 171

Pujols 167

Votto 151.8

Mantle 145.3

Fielder 140.

Cabrera 136.5

Mauer 125.8

2015 Harper OPS+198

2015 Trout OPS+169

That's your response to me schooling you?

And yes, Harper is having a better year.

AJ we are referring to "what's wrong with Mike Trout". He's exhausted and still expected perform as an MVP everyday. He's not the best player in baseball right now and Harper may have finally blossomed. People need to understand that. It doesn't make Mike Trout any less of the player he is.

Claude this is you being you. You basically come in and take a position that will be controversial and shows either the Angels or a player, coach, front office or owner in a bad light. You're the strangest "fan" I've ever met. In person you're awesome. Your charitable stuff is something I truly admire. Your persona on here is almost the opposite of the real you.

Claude this is you being you. You basically come in and take a position that will be controversial and shows either the Angels or a player, coach, front office or owner in a bad light. You're the strangest "fan" I've ever met. In person you're awesome. Your charitable stuff is something I truly admire. Your persona on here is almost the opposite of the real you.

Well Strad, I stopped taking @ngelsWin seriously a couple of seasons ago. Yes I have my opinions that don't always agree with the Kool Aid drinkers but I never make or take anything personal. If the Angels win or lose it doesn't change anything in my life. Right now I don't agree that Mike Trout is the best player in the game and I cited Bryce Harpers 2015 season > Mike Trouts 2015 season. What's wrong with that? Must we always be so pro Angels here or you're considered a bad fan.

I like Mike Trout but I think he needs more help to get to a championship. I know that people don't agree with me but that's my opinion.

Let's compare something here about what kind of help Mike Trout has in terms of RBI production.

Kendrys Morales has 154 at bats with RISP

Yoenis Cespedes has 138 at bats with RISP

Jose Bautista has 128 at bats with RISP

Paul Goldschmidt has 127 at bats with RISP

Josh Donaldson has 123 at bats with RISP

Edwin Encarnacion has 117 at bats with RISP

Bryce Harper has 102 at bats with RISP

Mike Trout has 77 at bats with RISP

That really tells the story about the Angels lineup and why Trout doesn't look as good on paper.

Jerry Dipoto's job was to build a team around Mike Trout. He did a very poor job with that. I think that Trout is frustrated but is classy enough not to talk about it. No one including Mike Trout can conceal the real lack of offense this team has. Calhoun is the exception but we need more.

Edited by CALZONE

Well Strad, I stopped taking @ngelsWin seriously a couple of seasons ago. Yes I have my opinions that don't always agree with the Kool Aid drinkers but I never make or take anything personal. If the Angels win or lose it doesn't change anything in my life. Right now I don't agree that Mike Trout is the best player in the game and I cited Bryce Harpers 2015 season > Mike Trouts 2015 season. What's wrong with that? Must we always be so pro Angels here or you're considered a bad fan.

I like Mike Trout but I think he needs more help to get to a championship. I know that people don't agree with me but that's my opinion.

Let's compare something here about what kind of help Mike Trout has in terms of RBI production.

Kendrys Morales has 154 at bats with RISP

Yoenis Cespedes has 138 at bats with RISP

Jose Bautista has 128 at bats with RISP

Paul Goldschmidt has 127 at bats with RISP

Josh Donaldson has 123 at bats with RISP

Edwin Encarnacion has 117 at bats with RISP

Bryce Harper has 102 at bats with RISP

Mike Trout has 77 at bats with RISP

That really tells the story about the Angels lineup and why Trout doesn't look as good on paper.

Jerry Dipoto's job was to build a team around Mike Trout. He did a very poor job with that. I think that Trout is frustrated but is classy enough not to talk about it. No one including Mike Trout can conceal the real lack of offense this team has. Calhoun is the exception but we need more.

Totally interesting stat Claude.  It kind of confirms the need for a true leadoff hitter with a high OBP.  Dipoto should have pulled off the Revere for Gott trade, but that's easy to say in retrospect.  Calhoun talents can play well at other spots in the lineup.  There will be a lot of changes this off season, and that's a good thing.