• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia tenure

Erstad Grit

pre-Scioscia 

3 playoff appearances in 39 years

Scioscia's tenure

8 playoff appearances in 14 years

Those results are pretty staggering. 

While the point stands regardless, it's 7 playoff appearances in 15 (likely to be 16 after this year) years.

....Stale can happen after 16 years.

^^^This^^^....I am satisfied he needs a new challenge, new team....Would expect he would do very well with a new team....see LaRussa, Leyland, Torre and others, who were fired or left on their own and then did very well with new teams....Will the Angels be better without him? Dunno...the odds say probably not....

I'm pro Scioscia ... if he opts out or gets fired I won't lose any sleep. I still feel he's the best manager for the Angels. Fans here call him old school but I don't see it. I believe he uses every bit of info that helps the team as a whole and it's players. There's a lot of shitty managers out there ... Scioscia isn't one of them.

Actually they have the 7th highest payroll, they are not a top 5 team in terms of payroll.  And they just got beat by the Dodgers who have spent over twice as much in terms of annual payroll.  The Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, Giants and Nationals have higher current payrolls.  And if you subtract Hamilton, the Rangers, Phillies and probably Blue Jays would be higher.

Edited by tomsred

Semantics aside, they were anywhere from 3-6 during Scioscia's most successful years under Moreno or in other words averaged top 5. You're just making my point, now that Moreno doesn't want to compete with the biggest spenders, Scioscia doesn't look as good because he doesn't have as many good players. 

Semantics aside, they were anywhere from 3-6 during Scioscia's most successful years under Moreno or in other words averaged top 5. You're just making my point, now that Moreno doesn't want to compete with the biggest spenders, Scioscia doesn't look as good because he doesn't have as many good players. 

Scioscia doesn't have as many good players due to playing co GM and demanding good players like Mike Napoli be discarded as throw-ins in trades for crappy players like Vernon Wells. 

Scioscia doesn't have as many good players due to playing co GM and demanding good players like Mike Napoli be discarded as throw-ins in trades for crappy players like Vernon Wells.

Ok who besides Napoli has Scioscia demanded to be traded? Can't you guys stick to facts, instead of making stuff up about the guy. If he's as bad as you say I'm sure you have countless facts about the guy.

I don't believe Scioscia demanded that Napoli be traded either.  Some posters here have blown Scioscia's "power" way out of proportion.  The only real power he has is that he has a lifetime of baseball experience, sometimes resulting in championships as a player or manager, and he has excellent skills when it comes to relating to his players and communicating with them.  They respect him for a reason, he handles them with integrity and compassion.  Yes, he has trust from the team's owner, but he had to earn that trust, Arte just didn't hand it to him blindly.  Other than that, the only power he has it that which many of you have blown way out of proportion.  Maybe if we could find a GM who would step up and earn Arte's trust not just by the definition of his position, but by example and laying down a successful plan with proper execution, things will move toward a more traditional baseball organization.  Then that person would be given the power to hire and fire managers, and legitimately gain respect from Arte's group (Carpino and company).  Dipoto brought a lot of good ideas and concepts to the Angels, but one big thing he apparently didn't do was gain the full respect and trust of the owner.  Until someone is strong enough to do that, Scioscia will be heavily relied upon by Arte and no managerial change will likely take place until Scioscia says he has had enough.

I'm in the camp that managers don't make a big difference unless they are just totally incompetent, and there have been some like that.  Scioscia is not one of them.  GM's can make one heck of a difference in today's baseball world, sometimes they improve things through skills or with a vision that others don't have, sometimes they just get lucky, or unlucky.  But I think GM's can make monumental decisions that can effect their organization for good or bad for many years.

Edited by tomsred

pre-Scioscia 

3 playoff appearances in 39 years

Scioscia's tenure

8 playoff appearances in 14 years

Those results are pretty staggering. 

That's not a fair comparison because of the league realignments and introduction of wildcard teams in the mid-1990's.

The West/Central/East divisions in their current form, as well as the ALDS and NLDS, didn't exist until 1994.  So it was MUCH harder to reach the playoffs.  Only two AL teams and two NL teams made the playoffs each year.

The AL West in 1993, for example, included the Angels, A's, Mariners, Rangers, Twins, White Sox, and Royals.  You had to beat 6 other teams to reach the playoffs. 

Maybe if we could find a GM who would step up and earn Arte's trust not just by the definition of his position, but by example and laying down a successful plan with proper execution, things will move toward a more traditional baseball organization.  Then that person would be given the power to hire and fire managers, and legitimately gain respect from Arte's group (Carpino and company).  Dipoto brought a lot of good ideas and concepts to the Angels, but one big thing he apparently didn't do was gain the full respect and trust of the owner.  Until someone is strong enough to do that, Scioscia will be heavily relied upon by Arte and no managerial change will likely take place until Scioscia says he has had enough.

Which, again, means that the new GM's every move will be scrutinized and run past Scioscia for his take on it. If you don't trust a man enough to allow him to make personnel decisions, don't hire him to be general manager.

Three years isn't enough to rebuild the train wreck that was the Angels' farm system when Dipoto arrived. Until that is done, and Dipoto had started the process, the Angels will continue to rely on the crap shoot of free agent signings to fill out the major league roster. The system will perpetuate itself.