• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cespedes

fan_since79

All it took was a couple minor league pitchers .... oh yea, and a few million dollars.

What could of been ... can't remember what the FO gave for the three musketeers.

That's the point TD, you can't remember because we gave up nothing. If we brought in Cespedes and he played great but we miss the playoffs or lose the wild card game AND it cost us Newcombe, then all the fans on here would be pissed we traded Newcombe.

Seriously, is there any chance the Mets won't resign him?

Definitely seems likely that he's going to be retained.  Also, completely agree that it would have been a mistake to trade Newcomb for Cespedes.  Even if he did up these numbers he's doing out in NY I still doubt that we would have many more wins.  It means nothing if we end up not making the playoffs.  Moreover, while I like the guy I think we need to be careful of giving him a huge deal.  He's not gonna hit like an MVP long term and may end up being a pretty bad hitter sooner in a long term deal then later.  Not a disciplined hitter, poor OBP.  Not really sure what we'll do if we cant get Heyward though, we need to get another OF bat and Cespedes might be the 2nd best option if somehow the Mets walk him.

Edited by UndertheHalo

Cespedes is a perfect fit here.   

Has had consistent success against AL pitching.

Has been clutch for the past 4 seasons.

Has the best throwing arm in the AL.

Has only played 4 full MLB seasons and is only 30 to start the 2016 season.

But based on Arte Moreno's past, Cespedes doesn't have tons of MLB at bats already and isn't declining, and thus will likely not be signed here.   

Cespedes is a perfect fit here.   

Has had consistent success against AL pitching.

Has been clutch for the past 4 seasons.

Has the best throwing arm in the AL.

Has only played 4 full MLB seasons and is only 30 to start the 2016 season.

But based on Arte Moreno's past, Cespedes doesn't have tons of MLB at bats already and isn't declining, and thus will likely not be signed here.   

Im surprised that you put so much weight into something as nebulous as "clutch" hitting.  The best example is Jeter, people think he was so incredibly clutch.  He certainly had big moments but when u look at his career in the playoffs, its basically the same as his regular season stats, which to be clear is very good.  Moments are everything, Cespedes played with Oakland when they were one of the best teams in the AL, Jeter played with the Yanks during another one of their golden ages.  They got to be in a lot of "moments" 

That all said, as a secondary option Cespedes might be the best available to us.  I think that Heyward is definitely the safest and best priority for us.  He's younger and I think will hit better, and he's a ++ defensive outfielder.  Plus, consider how much money its likely going to take to buy Cespedes away from the Mets.  I just think that contract could have disaster all over it.  FA is scary.

Edited by UndertheHalo

FA is indeed scary.

That's why Arte Moreno needs a REAL GM in that seat, and turn over all power over initiating player move decisions to that person.

Leaving the GM seat to an amateur like J. Pierpont Reagins or a know nothing about offense like Dipoto, and Moreno himself initiating player move decisions, is where FA signing disasters happen.

A REAL GM who has SOLID contacts throughout the league, and knows how to work with his own coaches/scouts to make decisions.

Speaking of which, is Moreno ever going to jump up the scouting/development budget?

Until he does, I guess I'll have to say it often enough to literally ram it down his throat and into his thought process.

Edited by Angel Oracle