• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cespedes

fan_since79

Acquire Dee Gordon by including Santiago in a package in exchange, and sign Cespedes.

Gordon

Calhoun

Trout

Cespedes

Pujols

Aybar

Cowart

Perez/Bandy

Gordon and Heyward  > Gordon and Cespedes imo. Heyward will also be cheaper (and he's younger). Heyward is also a lefty, helps the lefty/righty combo out better.

Edited by Halos of Anaheim

Cespedes would look good in the Angels lineup batting cleanup between Trout and Pujols.  (Yes moving Pujols to 5th in the lineup)  And would make for one scary outfield.  

But Arte will first have to agree to blow up the Luxury Tax.  In which there are no indications so far that he is willing to do.  

If you make that move, I think you can have a few growing pain years for Cowart at 3B, since he would be around a 8/9 hitter.  That would leave C and 2B.  It would be nice to get a leadoff hitter type 2B and a pure defensive C .  

Heyward is good.  But I don't think he's a #4 type hitter.  More of a #2/3 type.  In which Calhoun and Trout should fill that roll.  And is Heyward good enough to supplant Pujols from #4 like Cespedes can?  If he cannot supplant Pujols, then I think it would be a wasted signing.  

Other problem will be I think to get Cespedes, you have to look at a shorter Stanton type deal.  

It'll be an interesting offseason.  With lots of AO yelling.  

You get Hayward to bat lead off. He'll get on base in front of Trout, Calhoun and Pujols, and he's an excellent baserunner so I expect him to surpass 100 runs without much trouble. He is essentially a more run scoring (rather than RBI) oriented version of Calhoun. Right now we have Calhoun batting lead off, but he is really miscast at the top of the lineup, he's a run producer / RBI guy and is a great option for the #3 or #4 spot.

Cespedes has hovered around league average with the bat during 2 of his 4 seasons in MLB. I think he is a much higher risk to be that guy going forward. Meanwhile Hayward has been disappointing with the bat but has been pretty consistently above average every year, and he is just now entering his prime. He's due to have his best years at the beginning of his new contract.

Going the penny pinching route.  What does everyone think of Brock Holt of the Red Sox.  He's in year 2 of his experience.  In the minors he played ss and 2b primarily.  But 2b for the Red Sox is PEDroiza land, so they pretty much had him as a platooner where he's played 7 postions this year.  He has very little power .370 MLB SLG, .410 minor league slugging.  He has some speed, 21/3 SB/CS in the MLB and 64/33 in the minors.  At least it seems he has enough speed where he won't get in the way.  

Here is what I like about him.  At the MLB level, .335 OBP in 2 seasons.  At the minor league level, .372 OBP over 6 seasons.  

This is what a boston site says about him.

The problem with Brock Holt's trade value

The big thing will be trade value.  I know he won't cost anything close to what a Gordon would cost.  I don't even think he will cost as much as the Boston site thinks.  For the Angels, it might fill 2b, and leadoff and maybe become like an Eckstein type player?  

The idea it would have taken trading Newcomb for Cespedes doesn't seem right.

The Mets traded two minor league pitchers - #7 prospect and one that wasn't even ranked in the top 30 at start of season who was a converted SS.

Agreed, probably came down to the quality of the prospects. Don't think it would've taken Newcomb.

How many years do you think Cespedes will get? If it's 5 or more years, which I think it will be, I would pass as well. I think he could have helped us tremendously this season had we been able to get him and I prefer him over Heyward if I had to choose.

I just don't like the idea of giving either of them long term contracts. I just can't see it working out in the long run. I really just don't see any offensive game changers in the free agent market this offseason.

Edited by Angelsfirst

Going the penny pinching route.  What does everyone think of Brock Holt of the Red Sox.  He's in year 2 of his experience.  In the minors he played ss and 2b primarily.  But 2b for the Red Sox is PEDroiza land, so they pretty much had him as a platooner where he's played 7 postions this year.  He has very little power .370 MLB SLG, .410 minor league slugging.  He has some speed, 21/3 SB/CS in the MLB and 64/33 in the minors.  At least it seems he has enough speed where he won't get in the way.  

Here is what I like about him.  At the MLB level, .335 OBP in 2 seasons.  At the minor league level, .372 OBP over 6 seasons.  

This is what a boston site says about him.

The problem with Brock Holt's trade value

The big thing will be trade value.  I know he won't cost anything close to what a Gordon would cost.  I don't even think he will cost as much as the Boston site thinks.  For the Angels, it might fill 2b, and leadoff and maybe become like an Eckstein type player?  

Seems like a trade Dipoto would make. Aka smart. Too bad our next GM won't be.

The idea it would have taken trading Newcomb for Cespedes doesn't seem right.

The Mets traded two minor league pitchers - #7 prospect and one that wasn't even ranked in the top 30 at start of season who was a converted SS.

but did we have anything outside of newcomb that could beat that?

Im not up on my farm knowledge like some of you, but our #2 guy (not heaney, whoever is after him/newcomb) may be good to us, but not better than the #7 guy from the mets

Our next GM won't be smart enough to sign Featherston, Trade for Joyce, sign Blanton, Burnet and all the other shitty moves, man that sucks.

Yeah, or acquire Street, Santiago, Skaggs, Heaney, Newcombe, Giavotella, Perez or Tropaeno for aging/overrated players.

Any GM who signs with us from this point forward with Scioscia around, after what happened with him and Dipoto, will be a puppet who has zero mind of his own. Progressive GM's with an eye for talent like Dipoto wouldn't ever want to be apart of the toxic environment we call the Angels front office.

Edited by Halos of Anaheim

Yeah, or acquire Street, Santiago, Skaggs, Heaney, Newcombe, Giavotella, Perez or Tropaeno for aging/overrated players.

Any GM who signs with us from this point forward with Scioscia around, after what happened with him and Dipoto, will be a puppet who has zero mind of his own. Progressive GM's with an eye for talent like Dipoto wouldn't ever want to be apart of the toxic environment we call the Angels front office.

hell yeah!

Unless of course they like Scioscia or they want to be the GM of a team with Mike Trout.

But AO, you can't play the game with 9 players. And in 2017, we only have 3 players inked for $55 million. We also have a lot of arbitration guys.

So no matter how much we clear, it will get used up quick. And until we don't have a ceiling of the luxury tax, I have a bad feeling we will be spinning our wheels while we have the best player in Baseball.

Having the best player in baseball is great ... but most all teams have a star player on their roster.

Btw I Hate the term 'best player in baseball' .

Edited by Troll Daddy

You guys are reaching new lows, bashing people who we don't know, and who aren't even here.

I just hope the next guy has enough smarts not to quit in the middle of the job.

Can't we just drop it? He is gone. If this continues I'm going to take the time to mount a well-thought out defense.