• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cespedes

fan_since79

No.

Oakland traded him in a desperate and futile effort to make a deep playoff run. He was a free agent at the end of the season and signed elsewhere. His new club traded him when it was apparent that they were sinking to the bottom of the division.

I believe Cespedes isn't set to be a free agent until after this season. Oakland signed him as an amatuer free agent in 2012. He has since been traded from team to team. I'm not saying there is a problem, just that he seems to be traded rather easily.   

It still amazes how everyone thinks we have this great farm system and stoneman or whom ever can acquire anything and everything.  Due signings of Wilson, Hamilton and Pujols we have missed out on several first round picks.  Due to some poor drafts, we have missed out on quality players.  The "talent" we acquired cost us nothing, and at least Murphy is performing decently. 

This club needed to stay on the rebuilding path....Dipoto, as much as everyone hates on him, started that movement.  Younger, controllable solid pitching, moving Conger for Perez and Trop was a pretty decent move, moving Trumbo for Skaggs and Santiago was a genius move.  Acquiring Kubtiza was not a bad move either....poor marks on the Joyce for Jepsen move, but again, Jerry had a plan, Mike and Arte screwed it up.

Good post.

I believe Cespedes isn't set to be a free agent until after this season. Oakland signed him as an amatuer free agent in 2012. He has since been traded from team to team. I'm not saying there is a problem, just that he seems to be traded rather easily.   

More a product of the situations he has been in than anything about him, IMO. He is a marketable commodity and teams know that they can get something valuable back in return.

Mathis is a free agent, as is AJ Pierzynski. The latter is getting a bit old to play but he could transition into a quasi coaching role, kinda like the Raul Ibanez situation.

What's the over and under on how many threads we would have to endure if AJ Pierzynski came as a player, and transitioned into a coaching role?  It would kill the AW server.

I think everyone is going to be very disappointed this offseason. Our budget is very tight.

Just for this off-season though?

By November 2016, some $45 million AAV will have been cleared from payroll (Freese and Iannetta now and Weave, Wilson, and Smith by then).

And of course, $35 million more AAV gets cleared by November 2017 (Hamilton and Street).

Edited by Angel Oracle

Well, MLB & MLBPA have not said boo for four years, so I would assume it is.

A few days ago, all sides agreed to waive the clause in his contract.  He is free to negotiate with the Mets during the entirety of the offseason. Originally, the Mets only had the five-day window to negotiate. 

More a product of the situations he has been in than anything about him, IMO. He is a marketable commodity and teams know that they can get something valuable back in return.

I very much hope that's the case. He is definitely bringing a much needed spark to the Mets offense. If the Mets offense can keep it up, matched with that pitching staff, they should give the Pirates a good run in the playoffs. Pirates or Mets?

By November 2016, some $45 million AAV will have been cleared from payroll (Freese and Iannetta now and Weave, Wilson, and Smith by then).

And of course, $35 million more AAV gets cleared by November 2017 (Hamilton and Street).

I’m assuming these players need to be replaced. And unless we can get these replacements on the cheap (FA duds, or the farm), wouldn't you expect our payroll to rise? Isn’t it about the decisions the FO have made and do you see this changing soon? If so, how? 

you're mentioning street, freese and ianetta like they're a drain on the angels finances. i would strongly disagree with that.

But AO, you can't play the game with 9 players.  And in 2017, we only have 3 players inked for $55 million.  We also have a lot of arbitration guys.  

So no matter how much we clear, it will get used up quick.  And until we don't have a ceiling of the luxury tax, I have a bad feeling we will be spinning our wheels while we have the best player in Baseball.

Heyward would be 32 after a six year contract and Cespedes 36 (if he really is only 30 now)

Heyward has very similar stats to Calhoun but better base stealing stats and similar defense.  Calhoun, Trout and Heyward would be a great OF.

Not sure Angels need another power hitter.  Acquire a legit lead off hitter, Calhoun #2, Heyward #3, Trout #4 and Pujols #5

Heyward would be 32 after a six year contract and Cespedes 36 (if he really is only 30 now)

Heyward has very similar stats to Calhoun but better base stealing stats and similar defense.  Calhoun, Trout and Heyward would be a great OF.

Not sure Angels need another power hitter.  Acquire a legit lead off hitter, Calhoun #2, Heyward #3, Trout #4 and Pujols #5

Heyward is better defensively.

A 1-5 of a legit leadoff hitter, Calhoun, Heyward, Trout and Pujols would be amazing though. 

Edited by Halos of Anaheim

Thing is Strad, Arte isn't going to live down any time soon giving a total of $365 million to one decent/solid player who needed to be rock solid to very good to great to earn his $240 million and one flop who is basically getting $125 million less whatever Tejas absorbed for mediocre hitting.   

Not to mention what it did to the dynamics of this franchise.

Overdone on Starry-Eyed?    Yes

Overexposed to mediocre baseball for $365 million and frustrated by it?    Yes! Yes! Yes!

Edited by Angel Oracle