• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cespedes

fan_since79

It still amazes how everyone thinks we have this great farm system and stoneman or whom ever can acquire anything and everything.  Due signings of Wilson, Hamilton and Pujols we have missed out on several first round picks.  Due to some poor drafts, we have missed out on quality players.  The "talent" we acquired cost us nothing, and at least Murphy is performing decently. 

This club needed to stay on the rebuilding path....Dipoto, as much as everyone hates on him, started that movement.  Younger, controllable solid pitching, moving Conger for Perez and Trop was a pretty decent move, moving Trumbo for Skaggs and Santiago was a genius move.  Acquiring Kubtiza was not a bad move either....poor marks on the Joyce for Jepsen move, but again, Jerry had a plan, Mike and Arte screwed it up.

FA is indeed scary.

That's why Arte Moreno needs a REAL GM in that seat, and turn over all power over initiating player move decisions to that person.

Leaving the GM seat to an amateur like J. Pierpont Reagins or a know nothing about offense like Dipoto, and Moreno himself initiating player move decisions, is where FA signing disasters happen.

A REAL GM who has SOLID contacts throughout the league, and knows how to work with his own coaches/scouts to make decisions.

Speaking of which, is Moreno ever going to jump up the scouting/development budget?

Until he does, I guess I'll have to say it often enough to literally ram it down his throat and into his thought process.

Do you know what the scouting budget is?

Cespedes would look good in the Angels lineup batting cleanup between Trout and Pujols.  (Yes moving Pujols to 5th in the lineup)  And would make for one scary outfield.  

But Arte will first have to agree to blow up the Luxury Tax.  In which there are no indications so far that he is willing to do.  

If you make that move, I think you can have a few growing pain years for Cowart at 3B, since he would be around a 8/9 hitter.  That would leave C and 2B.  It would be nice to get a leadoff hitter type 2B and a pure defensive C .  

Heyward is good.  But I don't think he's a #4 type hitter.  More of a #2/3 type.  In which Calhoun and Trout should fill that roll.  And is Heyward good enough to supplant Pujols from #4 like Cespedes can?  If he cannot supplant Pujols, then I think it would be a wasted signing.  

Other problem will be I think to get Cespedes, you have to look at a shorter Stanton type deal.  

It'll be an interesting offseason.  With lots of AO yelling.  

Anything but IaNADA

Mathis is a free agent, as is AJ Pierzynski. The latter is getting a bit old to play but he could transition into a quasi coaching role, kinda like the Raul Ibanez situation.

FA is indeed scary.

That's why Arte Moreno needs a REAL GM in that seat, and turn over all power over initiating player move decisions to that person.

Leaving the GM seat to an amateur like J. Pierpont Reagins or a know nothing about offense like Dipoto, and Moreno himself initiating player move decisions, is where FA signing disasters happen.

A REAL GM who has SOLID contacts throughout the league, and knows how to work with his own coaches/scouts to make decisions.

Speaking of which, is Moreno ever going to jump up the scouting/development budget?

Until he does, I guess I'll have to say it often enough to literally ram it down his throat and into his thought process.

What is our scouting/development budget and how dis it compare to the other 29 teams?

It still amazes how everyone thinks we have this great farm system and stoneman or whom ever can acquire anything and everything.  Due signings of Wilson, Hamilton and Pujols we have missed out on several first round picks.  Due to some poor drafts, we have missed out on quality players.  The "talent" we acquired cost us nothing, and at least Murphy is performing decently. 

This club needed to stay on the rebuilding path....Dipoto, as much as everyone hates on him, started that movement.  Younger, controllable solid pitching, moving Conger for Perez and Trop was a pretty decent move, moving Trumbo for Skaggs and Santiago was a genius move.  Acquiring Kubtiza was not a bad move either....poor marks on the Joyce for Jepsen move, but again, Jerry had a plan, Mike and Arte screwed it up.

What was his plan this year for improving our lineup after such a horrible start?

Oh, i remember now.

Quit 

Cespedes is a perfect fit here.   

Has had consistent success against AL pitching.

Has been clutch for the past 4 seasons.

Has the best throwing arm in the AL.

Has only played 4 full MLB seasons and is only 30 to start the 2016 season.

But based on Arte Moreno's past, Cespedes doesn't have tons of MLB at bats already and isn't declining, and thus will likely not be signed here.   

And yet he has played on only 4 mlb teams in 4 seasons....hmmm wonder if there's a sign there

I's rather have Newcombe and take a chance at Cespedes this off season

There is the added issue of the clause in Cespedes' contract that mandates release after the conclusion of the World Series, which means that whatever team has him (Mets) would not be able to re-sign him until May 1.

There is the added issue of the clause in Cespedes' contract that mandates release after the conclusion of the World Series, which means that whatever team has him (Mets) would not be able to re-sign him until May 1.

Well that's peachy....is that clause legal?

And yet he has played on only 4 mlb teams in 4 seasons....hmmm wonder if there's a sign there

No.

Oakland traded him in a desperate and futile effort to make a deep playoff run. He was a free agent at the end of the season and signed elsewhere. His new club traded him when it was apparent that they were sinking to the bottom of the division.

Well that's peachy....is that clause legal?

I believe it is.  The clause is pretty much to prevent teams from making a qualifying offer.  In Cespedes case, if he didn't have a breakout year, he could have been in that middle ground hell.  Now I don't know about whether or not the Mets can sign him till May 1.  I thought that was taken out of the CBA. 

I don't get the infatuation with Heyward. His numbers aren't all that impressive, although admittedly he's a solid player. He will be overpaid by some team and I hope it's not us.

He had one outstanding year in 2012 where his OPS cracked .800 and he hit 27 bombs, but since then he's been slightly above average offensively and hasn't even come close to matching that power, against NL pitching no less. Not someone I would be comfortable giving a multi year contract to.

I get that he'll only be 26 next year and his defense is stellar. But IMO he has bust written all over him.