• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cespedes a Met

So we should trade what little of a farm we do have?

who among us hasn't been tempted to gamble with the rent money in hopes of perhaps escaping debt altogether? Or start making insanely risky Hail Mary business decisions when the cash reserve in their business was starting to run low? Edited by ScottLux

Yes, Dipoto was really competitive. 

Fact is, so many people blame Arte for Hamilton and Pujols, but I know better. 

This kind of made me lose a bit of respect for JeDi, who should have known better - at least with Hamilton.

But here's the thing, which I think Stradling was getting at - if Dipoto was really pushing for these guys, how did he keep his job after Hamilton flopped? And why did Arte want him to come back a few weeks ago? If Dipoto was saying "We need to sign Pujols" and then "We need to sign Hamilton," how does he stay in Arte's favor?

This kind of made me lose a bit of respect for JeDi, who should have known better - at least with Hamilton.

But here's the thing, which I think Stradling was getting at - if Dipoto was really pushing for these guys, how did he keep his job after Hamilton flopped? And why did Arte want him to come back a few weeks ago? If Dipoto was saying "We need to sign Pujols" and then "We need to sign Hamilton," how does he stay in Arte's favor?

Another issue is that both those signings bear an uncanny resemblance with previous ill advised big splash trades or signings. Vernon Wells (as plan B to signing Carl Crawford), Gary Matthews Junior, even Torii Hunter (this one worked out OK in retrospect but was a huge overpay at the time... it also ironically set a precedent that resulted in Vernon Wells being paid so much).

Another issue is that both those signings bear an uncanny resemblance with previous ill advised big splash trades or signings. Vernon Wells (as plan B to signing Carl Crawford), Gary Matthews Junior, even Torii Hunter (this one worked out OK in retrospect but was a huge overpay at the time... it also ironically set a precedent that resulted in Vernon Wells being paid so much).

They had a lot more in common with the failures of years past than they did with anything Dipoto was doing.

How did Cespedes a Met become a Jerry thread? You guys are killing me...

Well, Chuck has a birthday tomorrow, and........

The only thing I want to know about Cespedes is, did Terry Collins cry when he got the news?

Edited by tomsred

Did you add Trout into that equation or is he immune from hate?

****...if Hamilton last year was 50% of his good years during the playoffs that is a different series...we just needed a hit or two from 500 million in contracts

now I am hoping for relapse (only due to his ranger press conference)

Did you add Trout into that equation or is he immune from hate?

Trout was responsible for the only lead the Angels had in that series. He also didn't grossly misplay a flyball to left, or strike out swinging on three pitches with two outs and runners in scoring position more than once, followed by complaining about the fans to the media.

The MVP had one F'n hit. I love the guy but if your going to bi*** about Hamilton and Purolator you have to bi*** about him.

I hate hipocrisy.

Trout was responsible for the only lead the Angels had in that series. He also didn't grossly misplay a flyball to left, or strike out swinging on three pitches with two outs and runners in scoring position more than once, followed by complaining about the fans to the media.

The MVP had one F'n hit. I love the guy but if your going to bi*** about Hamilton and Purolator you have to bi*** about him.

I hate hipocrisy.

that's a horrible name to call chrissy. she's never done nothin' to nobody.

i cant help but feel we missed a chance here.  i know he hasnt been all that against lefties and all that... i know the downsides... but this guy with trout/calhoun would have been something to see.
No i dont give them newcomb or trop, but i can beleive we couldnt do something more than corner the market on average LFers  regardless of whether or not it made us better.
Are we better, yes, is our competition, heck yes, probably more than we got in terms of upgrades. 
If i had to guess right now id say we end up playing Tor in the WC game. 

I'd imagine that would mean that Arte isn't the despot some here like to make him out to be.. or that he valued the things Dipoto was doing right and the vision he had for the team enough to give him a mulligan or two.  It also means that Teflon Jerry got over quite a bit with the fan base by virtue of being so personable.  I had always been told Jerry was more hands on that was being made by people outside of the Angels organization, I wrote it off as conjecture but Chuck's willingness to talk about it now makes the things I had been told much more plausible.   

So if Arte didn't unilaterally acquire Hamilton and Pujols (a major element of Angels narrative canon) then who ordered Hamilton to be included on the ALDS roster, and who ordered him to bat fourth in a series of must-win games despite not playing in more than a month?

Seems the name "Teflon Jerry" was way more fitting than people wanted to believe..

I'd imagine that would mean that Arte isn't the despot some here like to make him out to be.. or that he valued the things Dipoto was doing right and the vision he had for the team enough to give him a mulligan or two. It also means that Teflon Jerry got over quite a bit with the fan base by virtue of being so personable. I had always been told Jerry was more hands on that was being made by people outside of the Angels organization, I wrote it off as conjecture but Chuck's willingness to talk about it now makes the things I had been told much more plausible.

I never understood the whole "Arte made Dipoto sign Pujols, CJ, and Hamilton." Then again, I look at those signings very differently than most. It was either: Suck until our farm system was rebuilt (think Astros) or go out and buy some wins while we rebuild the farm system. We chose the latter and I am happy we did. Remember, Trout was a big prospect, but no one thought he would be the second coming of Mickey mantel.