• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

University of Southern California Football Thread

"It is my firm belief that we have a good team returning next year and a solid foundation in place, and that Clay Helton is a good coach. Let me be clear to everyone, our players, our recruits and our fans. Clay Helton is our head coach and he will continue to be our head coach," Swann wrote. 

"I am a strong advocate of consistency within a program, sticking by a leader, supporting them and helping them and their team improve. One season does not define a coach. Remember, Coach Helton inherited a program in turmoil. He won 10 games, including the Rose Bowl, in his first year in 2016. He won 11 games and the Pac-12 title in 2017. He runs a clean program, he graduates his players, he recruits well, he produces NFL players. 

"We see programs across the country have a few down years and the fans want to change coaches. In fact, it happened a few years ago with [Notre Dame], but that administration remained committed to their head coach, who made some key changes, worked hard to fix things and got his team to improve markedly. That will happen here at USC."

i agree 

3 hours ago, Lou said:

can't you guys read?

"One season does not define a coach"

You remove Darnold and it hasn’t been just one season. Dude’s teams are softer than baby poo, practice soft or not at all, and he’s more concerned about freah cookies, laser tag and ice cream parties than instilling discipline and coaching this team up. But it’s not all his fault; his coaching mentors were Kiffin and Cutty. FML

3 hours ago, AngelsLongBall said:

Whatdoes the War Room say now?

The war room is every Friday. 

Last time it said season tickets are down 35%-40%. Big donors aren’t gonna give their usual donations and we don’t really know if that’s true bc the renovation is relying on some of that. 

A half empty stadium vs Fresno state next August in a renovated coliseum is going to look good for swann. 

Some say major coaching changes are coming. But we can just assume Brian Ellis will be named OC. Clancy will remain DC. The Rolodex is small with Helton 

26 minutes ago, nando714 said:

Last time it said season tickets are down 35%-40%. Big donors aren’t gonna give their usual donations and we don’t really know if that’s true bc the renovation is relying on some of that. 

A half empty stadium vs Fresno state next August in a renovated coliseum is going to look good for swann. 

Some say major coaching changes are coming. But we can just assume Brian Ellis will be named OC. Clancy will remain DC. The Rolodex is small with Helton 

Aha - well, let me know what is said this Friday!

I keep hearing that the "changing demographic" of the university dictates that football isn't as important, and that alumni will have to get used to it.  While I realize that the university makes a lot more money on international students, I simply can't comprehend not being active in the campus life and just being in my room or the library studying all the time.  And I think for those students who are academically focused, having balance is important as well.  </end get off my lawn rant>

49f7469e2062e9febf8693e04b318e9d

1 hour ago, AngelsLongBall said:

Aha - well, let me know what is said this Friday!

I keep hearing that the "changing demographic" of the university dictates that football isn't as important, and that alumni will have to get used to it.  While I realize that the university makes a lot more money on international students, I simply can't comprehend not being active in the campus life and just being in my room or the library studying all the time.  And I think for those students who are academically focused, having balance is important as well.  </end get off my lawn rant>

49f7469e2062e9febf8693e04b318e9d

That balance can exist without football, though. Going to football games was an awesome part of being at Cal (when I was there it was particularly amazing, hence my complete attachment), but there are plenty of students that don't give a crap and have a good amount things going on outside of school.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:47 AM, Lou said:

"It is my firm belief that we have a good team returning next year and a solid foundation in place, and that Clay Helton is a good coach. Let me be clear to everyone, our players, our recruits and our fans. Clay Helton is our head coach and he will continue to be our head coach," Swann wrote. 

"I am a strong advocate of consistency within a program, sticking by a leader, supporting them and helping them and their team improve. One season does not define a coach. Remember, Coach Helton inherited a program in turmoil. He won 10 games, including the Rose Bowl, in his first year in 2016. He won 11 games and the Pac-12 title in 2017. He runs a clean program, he graduates his players, he recruits well, he produces NFL players. 

"We see programs across the country have a few down years and the fans want to change coaches. In fact, it happened a few years ago with [Notre Dame], but that administration remained committed to their head coach, who made some key changes, worked hard to fix things and got his team to improve markedly. That will happen here at USC."

i agree 

It's crazy that Swann used the Steelers having just 3 head coaches in 50 seasons, as one of the reasons (continuity) why to keep Helton.  

Are you missing the bigger picture?    The defense recruiting isn't all that great.   Yeah, that's the ticket, more seasons of giving up close to 30 pts/game.  

3 hours ago, nando714 said:

As will be probably losing to Fresno State by some 10-14 pts. 

MWC wasn't a whole lot worse than the PAC-12 in 2018, the PAC-12 was only truly better in how deep it goes.   

THREE MWC teams are in the Top 26 (Boise St., Fresno St., and Utah St.).   And, yes, all three used to be in the Big West at some point in the 1990s. 

50 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

That balance can exist without football, though. Going to football games was an awesome part of being at Cal (when I was there it was particularly amazing, hence my complete attachment), but there are plenty of students that don't give a crap and have a good amount things going on outside of school.

Clearly (I was at SC 95-99 "the Hackett years" so yeah, there was no football happiness...).  My unarticulated point was that some are saying those students aren't interested in anything outside the classroom, so universities need to prepare for a generation of students who aren't interested in athletics or other social events, and I felt that balance created a better overall experience for the vast majority.