• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

University of Southern California Football Thread

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-helton-extension-20180206-story.html%3foutputType=amp

"We have lofty goals at USC and Clay can get us to those goals," athletic director Lynn Swann said in a statement. "He has shown that he can lead our team with integrity and stability and that he has the ability to win conference and national championships."

"I am happy with the job Clay has done so far."

That was 9 months ago. iirc, nando wasn't happy about it. 

On 11/10/2018 at 11:19 PM, Lou said:

"We have lofty goals at USC and Clay can get us to those goals," athletic director Lynn Swann said in a statement. "He has shown that he can lead our team with integrity and stability and that he has the ability to win conference and national championships."

"I am happy with the job Clay has done so far."

That was 9 months ago. iirc, nando wasn't happy about it. 

I always have to wonder about ADs who prop up their choices by saying that a coach "has the ability to" do something that he has never done.

I have a feeling that Swann's opinion may be a little different today, if that ever was his opinion rather than just idle chatter to support a choice that most people disliked.

https://sports.yahoo.com/10-questions-college-football-coaching-carousel-can-usc-afford-fire-clay-helton-015951439.html

10 questions on the college football coaching carousel: Can USC afford to fire Clay Helton?

1. What’s next at USC?

Lynn Swann’s sole meaningful move since his stunning selection as USC’s athletic director was extending coach Clay Helton through the 2023 season. It’s easy to pick on Swann because he was completely unqualified for the job, which his lone major football decision has shown. But it’s time to start pointing the finger all around USC, as he’s the second consecutive AD they’ve hired with no on-campus experience or any clue of how to run an athletic department. USC’s dysfunction spans to the administrative side, where a massive scandal cost the president his job this spring. But it’s also worth remembering that bringing in Swann was a vote for the status quo in the athletic department at a place that willingly hired Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian, who were both too immature to handle the job. Not surprisingly, self-inflicted wounds ended up in back-to-back ugly departures.

Steve Lopes is a longtime USC administrator and current CFO, which means that Helton’s extension through 2023 and buyout – which is north of $15 million – has his fingerprints all over it. He certainly rode co-pilot on Pat Haden’s decision to promote Helton in 2015. But the contract extension that Swann gave earlier this year may end up akin to having a bonfire of cash on campus, as it would still be a galling amount of money if Helton is fired after 2019. With USC 5-5 and needing a win over UCLA or Notre Dame to make a bowl, that could come sooner.

(Remember, November optics are important and the Notre Dame game to finish the season could end up as a South Bend West playoff coronation for the Irish.)

There was no discernible market for Helton in February when USC extended him. And while he deserved more years and money after back-to-back strong seasons (21-6 combined in 2015 and ’16), USC treating him like a Chris Petersen or Nick Saban may lead to a strong case of buyer’s remorse.

The expectation remains that USC keeps Helton, and he overhauls the staff. But USC can afford to cut bait. Keeping him would mean the offseason and build-up to next season would serve as months of reminders about the history of incompetence in USC athletics repeating itself.

1 hour ago, Lou said:

They will.

It's a lock. 

You know why, right?  Because that will then allow Swann to FURTHER extend him.  FML!  I can't believe I'm to the point that I may internally be OK with losing to ucla.  Because there's no way they are competitive against ND, right?  RIGHT?!

1 hour ago, AngelsLongBall said:

You know why, right?  Because that will then allow Swann to FURTHER extend him.  FML!  I can't believe I'm to the point that I may internally be OK with losing to ucla.  Because there's no way they are competitive against ND, right?  RIGHT?!

Haha. not to worry, you'll beat ND, too. 

bet the house