• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

PLATOONS!!

floplag

We made our LF and DH situations so much better while giving up effectively nothing. Damn Stoneman, good job.

Assuming Trout is okay and once Freese come back guessing we see this against right handers...

Giavotella

Calhoun

Trout

Pujols

Murphy

Freese

Aybar

Iannetta

DeJesus

That's suddenly a pretty deep lineup. Could always lead off with DeJesus and hit Gia 7th or 8th too.

The line up is significantly better. One thing I don't like is that 4 guys on the 25 man roster are filling 2 positions and those guys are all limited in their abilities right now. All the guys should be good in the roles they were brought in to fill but if something happens and they are forced out of those roles it could go sideways fast. Having to platoon for LF and DH with 4 guys is especially frustrating as a 3 man rotation in those two positions should not have been impossible to find.

The line up is significantly better. One thing I don't like is that 4 guys on the 25 man roster are filling 2 positions and those guys are all limited in their abilities right now. All the guys should be good in the roles they were brought in to fill but if something happens and they are forced out of those roles it could go sideways fast. Having to platoon for LF and DH with 4 guys is especially frustrating as a 3 man rotation in those two positions should not have been impossible to find.

What could happen that would force these guys out of their role She

What could happen that would force these guys out of their role She

Injuries. 

Assuming we carry:

11 Pitchers

2 Catchers

7 Position starters

1 DH

That only leaves 4 spots and 2 of them are being taken by guys who are pretty limited in what they can do. Just like Joyce has no business playing in LF but Hamilton's mess created the need to play him there. If Trout goes down we are going to have someone who isn't a great CF playing and probably taking ABs against pitchers they shouldn't be facing.

I agree in principal as ive never been a huge platoon fan, but this clearly falls under the heading of going with what was out there while not giving up the parts OR taking on a lot of cash.  

I suspect they are saving it for the Winter to fill the role full time for '16. 

I agree in principal as ive never been a huge platoon fan, but this clearly falls under the heading of going with what was out there while not giving up the parts OR taking on a lot of cash.  

I suspect they are saving it for the Winter to fill the role full time for '16. 

I have no problem with platoons. And I like all the moves made. But these guys are so specialized it doesn't give them much flexibility if there is an injury anywhere except corner outfield and DH. Especially with Featherstone taking up a roster spot too.

So of all the available names out there, who of the big names have equal splits vs. both lefties and righties that would amount to what we acquired?

Guys like Gomez, Gonzalez, Bruce, Cespedes and Ethier would have cost something of at least decent value to acquire.  

None of those players would sit vs. their negative split.  

Bruce has a 100 point home/away and LH/RH split in the negative direction and is coming from the NL.  Gonzalez are almost twice as dramatic.  Gomez not quite as much but he's still coming from the NL and you'd be paying for a premium defensive  CFer not to play CF.  Ethier very similar to Bruce and Cargo.  Cespedes probably wasn't even available but he's probably the most consistent vs. both lefties and righties, he's already in the AL and he plays very good defense.  

Cespedes has a career ops of .786 and is a true rental in that he'd be a FA at season's end.  What would it have cost to get him?  Probably Ellis and maybe Smith or another arm.  

Victorino has a career ops vs. LHers of .876.  Granted he's tailed off a bit, but even over the last couple of years it's been near .850.  He cost us nothing.

Murphy has a career ops vs. RHers of .800 and probably around .750 or so over the last few years taking into account his home away splits out of texas.  

So we got an .800+ops OFer for nothing.  

As far as Dejesus is concerned, I would probably have rather had Lind as our LHed DH, but it would have cost considerably more.  Someone like Nate Smith +.  

If it wasn't going to be Lind then I was hoping for someone with some speed, but I was not a big Revere fan because of his low obp and the fact that you are, again, paying for a CFer to play LF.  

Murphy and Dejesus also have options for next year of 7 and 5 mil respectively with 1.5 of buyout.  So it gives us some flex for next years team.  

The forgotten man in this is Gillaspie.  He's barely 28 and plays a decent 3b.  and hits righties at a .750ops which is actually better than Freese.   He is club controlled and could actually get better than he's been.  Could set up another platoon with Cowart for next year.  Cowart has actually been really awful batting LHed even with his recent hot streak.  Either that or a platoon of Cowart and Kubitza.  

We still need a reliever.  Hopefully, Rasmus can come up and contribute soon.  Even still, it'd be nice to get a guy like Benoit, Shawn Kelly, Tazawa, or someone like that.  

They could also consider getting a LHed hitting catcher.

But solid job for this season so far.