• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Wilson-Ethier Deal?

This has been pounded into the ground pretty much since May.  So I won't necessarily ask what you think of such a deal, even on the heels of a post from Joel Sherman in the New York Post and MLB SOE calling for it.  Instead, I wanted to comment how odd it is that both teams have been so mum on the deal.  It's a trade that makes perfect sense for both teams, obviously with the Dodgers adding a little money to offset some of Ethier's contract. 

So why haven't there even been any whispers that the Angels are scouting Ethier, or the Dodgers scouting CJ?  There are only four possible reasons I can think of....

1. Arte is too proud, and would prefer not to deal with the other LA team. 

2. The Dodgers don't care about saving money, because they have all of it. 

3. Either the Angels aren't that impressed with Ethier or the Dodgers aren't impressed with Wilson (or both). 

4. Timing.  The Dodgers were waiting to see how Crawford comes back before trading away Ethier and the Angels want to see how Shoemaker, Weaver and Tropeano handle themselves before deciding to trade away an integral piece of their pitching staff. 

So what do you think?  Is there any other reason why a trade that makes so much sense on the outside, isn't being pushed for at all by either side?

Not sure that was Arte so much as it was Dipoto's wizardry. At least that's what I chalk it up to. We shed Kendrick's payroll, got a #2 pitcher with 6 years of control in return.  Traded for our starting 2B off the scrap heap and have watched him blossom into a pretty decent second baseman.

The Dodgers would have to add something to get that deal done.  Wilson has one year left at $20 million.  Ethier has 3 years and $53 million.  

Considering how Puig is doing and Crawford is unreliable... I'm not so sure they are eager to do that considering CJ is mediocre.  They have the resources to get a better SP.  

The Dodgers would probably like to pursue Cole Hamels first.  The Giants are making a run at them, so they do need to go after a starter.  As was mentioned earlier, I don't believe #1 is an issue either, and #2 isn't what will drive any deal for them (getting an effective starter will drive the deal), #3 and #4 are what would hold up any deal.

Wilson's contract isn't much of a problem anymore. If we just wanted rid of it, someone wold give us something of moderate value. There's no point us taking on a bloated contract for an overrated corner outfielder. Would Ethier help us now? Sure. But that contract is only getting uglier.

So the question of this thread is why aren't the Dodgers or Angels talking about the possiblitiy of this trade happening? Well why would they? They aren't the ones talking about it because this is a trade that was made up by fans of the teams and the media. So if I said the Angels should trade Shoemaker for Howie, and then someone repeated it on here, then it gets tweeted about, you would expected The Dodgers or Angels to talk about it?

Firstly, like strad said, 5his idea was never so much something being reported as either team considering it, its just something we the internet fans think will be a good idea. So it shouldnt have any more legs than the newcomb for schwarber idea ettin proposed (something that makes sense in a lot of ways, but thats just to us).

Its probably true the dodgers want to see what crawfords got left. I think its more the angels though. Yes, wilson is inconsistent, but hes good more than hes bad. And i think the idea is to try and win now. Im not sure they want to deal from the big league roster to do that. Ethier would be a hell of a lot better than joyce, but i dont think hes really a game changer. If thats the case, i think the team is kore looking to flip lesser pieces for a lesser player. Maybe thats not the best move, but its easy to see why theyre thinking that way.

with so much pitching available?  not the dodgers first choice.  it is one extra year of salary for ethier not two over wilson.    before the year began dodgers would have eaten more then half the contract to get it out of there.....thats what makes sense of it.      i think this is one deal that can get done after the deadline with all the money owed to each player....i am for it.   

I wouldnt trade CJ for one reason, team chemistry. Cj is a solid starter to have in your rotation, and hes built a reputation in the clubhouse. I dont want to see us end up like the A's of last year.

And like I said, Cj has been solid. I see no reason to trade him especially for a guy who will ne owed more money.

I wouldnt trade CJ for one reason, team chemistry. Cj is a solid starter to have in your rotation, and hes built a reputation in the clubhouse. I dont want to see us end up like the A's of last year.

And like I said, Cj has been solid. I see no reason to trade him especially for a guy who will ne owed more money.

I get what you're saying, but what about Howie? I'm sure he was key to team chemistry as well.

Wilson's contract isn't much of a problem anymore. If we just wanted rid of it, someone wold give us something of moderate value. There's no point us taking on a bloated contract for an overrated corner outfielder. Would Ethier help us now? Sure. But that contract is only getting uglier.

^^^This^^^....I'd rather keep CJ than add 10/15 million with Ethier's contract....I might consider Alex Guerrero if you could extend his contract past this season...since Boras is his agent, I wouldn't count on that...

Edited by DMVol

^^^This^^^....I'd rather keep CJ than add 10/15 million with Ethier's contract....I might consider Alex Guerrero if you could extend his contract past this season...since Boras is his agent, I wouldn't count on that...

But we have no idea what Guerrero is capable of. The premise of the Wilson/Ethier trade would have the Dodgers evening out the money.