• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Wilson-Ethier Deal?

But we have no idea what Guerrero is capable of. The premise of the Wilson/Ethier trade would have the Dodgers evening out the money.

Agree on Guerrero, it would be a gamble, no question....but he's got a lot of upside and some of the names we're hearing (Murphy, Coghlan), while not bad players and improvements over Joyce, don't have big upside---they are ok guys who can help but don't have the upside of Guerreo....the guy you've never seen always has more upside, I guess, like the 2nd string QB, but Guerrero appears to have more tools, albeit without the experience, over some of the others mentioned....

As to "evening out the money", I don't want to trade CJ if we're taking on more money or evening out the money....part of the appeal of trading him would be to have more payroll flexibility for next year...you wouldn't get that if you take on Ethier's contract or the Dodgers somehow even things out....Just my opinion....I don't think this deal is happening, no reports it's been discussed, unlike some of the others--Revere, Bruce, Parra, Coghlan, Murphy--who seemingly have been discussed...

Edited by DMVol

We're just fine right now.

If the goal is to win a World Series than they need to do something. This team right now might be good enough to get to the playoffs but this team isn't good enough to win a World Series.

The Halos have won a bunch of games lately but they've come against teams like Colorado, Texas and Boston... We won't be playing these type of teams come playoff time.

But as far as Either/Wilson goes, I'd like to see us get someone else

Edited by CanadianHalo

If the goal is to win a World Series than they need to do something. This team right now might be good enough to get to the playoffs but this team isn't good enough to win a World Series.

The Halos have won a bunch of games lately but they've come against teams like Colorado, Texas and Boston... We won't be playing these type of teams come playoff time.

We also won series against the Yankees, Astros and Twins all in playoff contention or leading their division. Also when we went in and rolled Texas the first time, they were within a game or two of us in the standings. Basically the only good team we didn't face during that stretch was KC.

Yup. Andre Ethier man.

Difference between losing and winning the World Series.

/sarc

We also won series against the Yankees, Astros and Twins all in playoff contention or leading their division. Also when we went in and rolled Texas the first time, they were within a game or two of us in the standings. Basically the only good team we didn't face during that stretch was KC.

You're right we have, forgot about the Stros at home. This week in Houston will be an interesting one.

It's been impressive what this team has been able to accomplish so far without getting any production from the LF position. That's why I think with a solid trade for a LF'er it could really put us in a great position to compete for a title.

I'd be on board with a Wilson for Ethier swap, if the dogs kicked in a little bit of money. Here is why: (1) Ethier has been one of the most consistent players in all of baseball the last eight years, with last season being the sole exception. Not only has he been consistent, he has been quite good (some of you are neglecting to account for that). (2) He plays a position we badly need to upgrade. (3) We have the pitching depth to absorb the loss of Wilson. And (4) if the dogs were to eat $10 mil of the $35 remaining on Ethier's contract after this season, the Angels' payroll space would decrease by $5 mil next year and the total cash comittment (Ethier in 2016-2017 minus Wilson in 2016) would increase by only $5 mil.

All good point wopphil. For me, I'd do it for a couple if different reasons.

1. Ethier is better then Murphy and Coghlan, the scrubs they've been exploring.

2. In a playoff series, you have to figure Richards and Heaney start games 1 and 2. Games 3 and 4 are a toss up between Wilson, Shoe, Santiago, Weav and possibly Tropeano. If we trade CJ, I'm not really seeing how it effects us in October. CJ is solid, but so is Santiago, so has Shoe been, Weav has experience and Tropeano has the upside.

3. I actually like both Ethier and Wilson as people. They've both put down roots in the greater LA area and it'd be a nice gesture to allow them to keep their lives relatively the same.

I'd be on board with a Wilson for Ethier swap, if the dogs kicked in a little bit of money. Here is why: (1) Ethier has been one of the most consistent players in all of baseball the last eight years, with last season being the sole exception. Not only has he been consistent, he has been quite good (some of you are neglecting to account for that). (2) He plays a position we badly need to upgrade. (3) We have the pitching depth to absorb the loss of Wilson. And (4) if the dogs were to eat $10 mil of the $35 remaining on Ethier's contract after this season, the Angels' payroll space would decrease by $5 mil next year and the total cash comittment (Ethier in 2016-2017 minus Wilson in 2016) would increase by only $5 mil.

Thank you.

Ethier would be the third best hitter on the team right now. Even accounting for the NL to AL change, he's basically like adding another Calhoun at worst. Angelswin has this thing about only valuing superstar players. Everything below that "sucks".

Is Ethier the best option? No. Should the Angels make him a priority? No. Would he help the offense? Unquestionably. Like you mentioned, the only issue is his contract. If the Dodgers kicked in a couple million a year for him, I'd be all over it.

"1. Ethier is better then Murphy and Coghlan, the scrubs they've been exploring."

Perhaps but, if either can be aquired relatively cheaply, they appear to be solid acquisitions

Right now, Murphy .297 .345 .786 OPS batting almost solely against RHP...he has no speed but extra base pop and can get on base

Also, Coghlan is hitting .254 .345 .773 OPS (.266 .354 .807 OPS vs RHP) and actually hits better away from Wrigley.

They are no game changers but they'd look good at the other half of a platoon with Cron and could actually play OF if called upon.

In the end, it always comes down to cost but, if cheap, I don't see why you wouldn't pick them up.

As of right now, Ethier is owed about $45 million and CJ $28 million

For this deal to happen, the Dodgers would have to send money to even things out or they'd have to add a mid-level prospect.  Those reasons are why this won't happen.  Why would you give up money or give away a mid-level prospect for CJ Wilson?

"1. Ethier is better then Murphy and Coghlan, the scrubs they've been exploring."

Perhaps but, if either can be aquired relatively cheaply, they appear to be solid acquisitions

Right now, Murphy .297 .345 .786 OPS batting almost solely against RHP...he has no speed but extra base pop and can get on base

Also, Coghlan is hitting .254 .345 .773 OPS (.266 .354 .807 OPS vs RHP) and actually hits better away from Wrigley.

They are no game changers but they'd look good at the other half of a platoon with Cron and could actually play OF if called upon.

In the end, it always comes down to cost but, if cheap, I don't see why you wouldn't pick them up.

I agree with this overall, but if the Angels could trade CJ for Ethier and have the Dodgers throw in some money to even out the difference, I think you make that trade instead of getting Murphy or Coghlan.  Ethier is vastly better than Murphy and Coghlan and he provides enough pop to give Pujols the protection that is sorely missing right now.

I just don't see why the Dodgers make that move unless they can't get Hamels or Price.

As long as Hamels and Price are still available, I can't imagine the Doyers are too excited about CJ. He's sort of a mid-rotation guy, and they have the prospects and money to go get a frontline starter. CJ would be kind of a consolation prize for them.

Puig might even be more likely if any of the stories are true, then again if they are do we want that here?   I personally think a guy like Pujols could control the young upstart and playing with trout realizing he isnt the best player on the team might motivate him to play harder.
its not likely, but it is what it is i guess.. i like the fire in Puig, never bothered me to see a guy passionate about the game... the lazy stuff though, yeah not so much.