• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Texas Denies American-Born Children Of Immigrants Citizenship

I actually don't have a problem with this. I never liked the entire anchor baby scam for citizenship rights.

Therefore it isn't a stretch that there could be a law limiting birthright citizenship to those who have at least one parent who is a U.S. citizen.

Here is something a little more personal than I normally like to get on AW, both my parents came to this country illegally.  They came separately, meet here, married here, and eventually I came along.  Down the road they did become US citizens thanks to Reagan.  However, by the definition of some of you here I'm an anchor baby.  

I was born here, I've lived my entire life here, and have proudly served my country in the military.  Yet, my life is a scam?  I just want to get right, that is what you guys are trying to say.

• 2 weeks later...

Cons: The 14th amendment doesn't really mean what it says

Libs: The 2nd amendment doesn't really mean what is says

In unison: It's too hard to create a new amendment!

The big difference is that the second amendment specifically refers to the formation of a militia, not arming every citizen to the teeth with any weapons that they can lay their hands on.

• The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I'm not saying that there is another way to interpret it. The wording in the latter part of the amendment is very clear. However, this was written for a fledgling country with no organized military that faced unknown threats from outside. There is no way that they envisioned a country of 250M+ people stretching over 3,000 miles with access to the kind of weapons that are available today. Their choice of language sent us down an irreversible path that they never intended, IMO.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I'm not saying that there is another way to interpret it. The wording in the latter part of the amendment is very clear. However, this was written for a fledgling country with no organized military that faced unknown threats from outside. There is no way that they envisioned a country of 250M+ people stretching over 3,000 miles with access to the kind of weapons that are available today. Their choice of language sent us down an irreversible path that they never intended, IMO.

The exact same argument right-wingers apply to the 14th amendment. That clearly the creators had no idea that economics pressures a century later would facilitate huge numbers of immigrants to attempt to enter what was then a sparsely populated half of the country. How would they know that technological advancements would make these regions (Arizona, Nevada, West Texas kinda) actually habitable. Granted maybe someday these miracles will actually come to New Mexico too but I digress.

I have a friend whose parents are both illegal immigrants. My friend was born here and is a citizen. That being said, I honestly feel like a jerk, but I have to agree with Texas on this one. Just my opinion.

How would you feel if your friend and his parents got deported then?