• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia needs to go..

nate

Our baserunning is fine ouside of Albert. Our defense was far better than the A's. Our hitting with RISP sucked huge but you can't blame that on the backside of the order.

I'm not making excuses for this turd of a game but it is on a couple of players shoulders and not the team as a whole in terms of execution.

Earlier today I saw Choo drop two routine fly balls. Are the Nationals fundamentaly unsound? No but Choo sucked balls out there today.

Our baserunning is fine ouside of Albert. Our defense was far better than the A's. Our hitting with RISP sucked huge but you can't blame that on the backside of the order.

I'm not making excuses for this turd of a game but it is on a couple of players shoulders and not the team as a whole in terms of execution.

Earlier today I saw Choo drop two routine fly balls. Are the Nationals fundamentaly unsound? No but Choo sucked balls out there today.

You're taking anomalies and making them into generalities for the whole team. How many times has Choo ever dropped a baseball? Of course that does not make them fundamentally unsound. Scioscia's teams have been this way for years now. It's a body of work not just certain instances like you are pointing out.

Scioscia's teams are historicly defensively one of the top rated in both leagues. Their situational hitting has until recently been the best in the league and last year they were one of the top offenses so if anything you are taking an anomaly and creating your own reality out of it.

After last years crap start the last thing the fanbase needs is another crap start but there are areas where the Angels are maintaining stability and that is in fieding and for the most part (Pujols as the outlier) base running. The starting pitching has not been a disaster even if tonight started that way and the relief corps was doing a reasonable job until tonights debacle.

A little early game offense is a cure to a lot of ills and Hamilton has been a lot of the Angels ills at the plate. Pujols seems to be warning up quickly but pitchers now are bypassing him to get to Josh to end innings. When that cycle is broken I think the Angels take off and all the talk about fundementals goes away.

Scioscia's teams are historicly defensively one of the top rated in both leagues. Their situational hitting has until recently been the best in the league and last year they were one of the top offenses so if anything you are taking an anomaly and creating your own reality out of it.

After last years crap start the last thing the fanbase needs is another crap start but there are areas where the Angels are maintaining stability and that is in fieding and for the most part (Pujols as the outlier) base running. The starting pitching has not been a disaster even if tonight started that way and the relief corps was doing a reasonable job until tonights debacle.

A little early game offense is a cure to a lot of ills and Hamilton has been a lot of the Angels ills at the plate. Pujols seems to be warning up quickly but pitchers now are bypassing him to get to Josh to end innings. When that cycle is broken I think the Angels take off and all the talk about fundementals goes away.

I hope you're right. This season has disaster written all over it.

Did we set the record for most LOBsters today? Pretty sure we did. Pretty terrible. I don't know what the atmosphere is inside the clubhouse, but it can't be good. I also don't think the culture that Mike Scioscia is infusing is good either. Everybody is too laid back and relaxed about losing. Someone needs to get fired up.

Did we set the record for most LOBsters today? Pretty sure we did. Pretty terrible. I don't know what the atmosphere is inside the clubhouse, but it can't be good. I also don't think the culture that Mike Scioscia is infusing is good either. Everybody is too laid back and relaxed about losing. Someone needs to get fired up.

Agree with all of this. It is so sickening to see these guys just go through the motions or at least it appears that way from a fans' perspective. I'd love to see someone fly off the handle to inject some life because we sure as hell know Scioscia will not.

I hope you're right. This season has disaster written all over it.

I hope I am as well because the disaster scenario is probably one or two injuries away. With Weaver out and Aybar limping we have just been forced to play the league with one arm tied behind our backs.

My expectations are high and my patience is limited.  That makes for a bad combination... I hate having this much angst so early in the season, but firing Scioscia isn't going to solve anything. 

My expectations are high and my patience is limited.  That makes for a bad combination... I hate having this much angst so early in the season, but firing Scioscia isn't going to solve anything. 

I don't blame Scioscia for every loss this season, but pitching to Votto and his bullpen management last night place him as fault big time for those two losses, and I'm sure we'll see more moves like that as the year goes on.  It'd be nice to prevent that before it happens so the team can actually make the playoffs, unlike the last 3 seasons.

There is an interesting theme in this predictable "dump Scioscia" reaction...how to inject some enthusiasm in a bunch of multi-millionaires who get paid win or lose.  Scioscia's stoic, turn the page mentality works well for a hungry, aggressive team (the small ball days).  Not so much for a team of satisfied players with long term, big contracts,   If they slump, oh well...on to the next paycheck, while Scioscia is telling everyone they will come around so turn the page.  Leave 3 guys on base with no outs, oh well, jog back to the dugout and make sure you don't show any emotion.  Your manager won't.  No worries, you'll be in there the next game. 

The counter argument - they are professionals, don't need an incentive and/or a manager that pushes them - is a reasonable one, IF the team has a core of self motivated, aggressive players.  Beyond Weaver and Trout, just don't see it with these guys.  Way too satisfied.  And with a 10 year contract extension himself, Scioscia is pretty satisfied...

There is an interesting theme in this predictable "dump Scioscia" reaction...how to inject some enthusiasm in a bunch of multi-millionaires who get paid win or lose.  Scioscia's stoic, turn the page mentality works well for a hungry, aggressive team (the small ball days).  Not so much for a team of satisfied players with long term, big contracts,   If they slump, oh well...on to the next paycheck, while Scioscia is telling everyone they will come around so turn the page.  Leave 3 guys on base with no outs, oh well, jog back to the dugout and make sure you don't show any emotion.  Your manager won't.  No worries, you'll be in there the next game. 

The counter argument - they are professionals, don't need an incentive and/or a manager that pushes them - is a reasonable one, IF the team has a core of self motivated, aggressive players.  Beyond Weaver and Trout, just don't see it with these guys.  Way too satisfied.  And with a 10 year contract extension himself, Scioscia is pretty satisfied...

Great post. 100% agree. Scioscia lacks in the motivational areas it seems. 

One week into the season:

Pitching to Votto, in a crucial, late game situation, with 1st base open.

Leaving a clearly lost and floundering (threw to the backstop twice) Lowe in until he gave up a 3 run bomb.

Not only leaving Jepsen in last night, but not even having anyone ready in the pen. Gave up a 3 run bomb.

All in the 1st week of the season.

Scioscia was exposed as the slow, dull witted, stubborn, predictable, manager he is... the day Joe Maddon emptied his locker.

I am a lifetime Angel fan who watches nearly ever game....and I lost respect for him, as a manager, back in 08.

When Dipoto and Arte fired Hatcher early last season I felt some hope that the FO was starting to figure it out.

Until Dipoto and Arte grow a pair and do the same with Scioscia...something that should have been done YEARS ago, I will still watch every game....but with more fear than hope.

I am glad that we play Oakland so many times, so that Arte and Dipoto can sit in their suite and watch Melvin take Scioscia to school. Maybe someday Arte's light bulb will come on. If Arte wants to see the HALO lit up, he better light up his brain and start listening to his GM, who is not a big Scioscia fan, even though he plays one on TV.

You still haven't told me who you put in for this inning. Go ahead, make your statement the floor is all yours.

Topic is about MS not having a lefty up to face Jaso. 100% inexcusable.

Downs has given up 2 stolen bases in the last 2 years. MS brought in Jepsen and immediately Crisp stole second. At that point he should've intentionally walked or hit by pitch Cespedes. Jason is hitting .457 at the big A. Yet MS doesn't have a lefty up?

Anyone have Cespedes numbers vs Downs?

First of all you don't have any insight into the clubhouse to know the motivation of the players or of management. You are guessing and you have no real evidence that any or all of them are way to satisfied.

Why is Albert Pujols the first player in the workout room in the early morning hours? Do you think he does that because he is satisfied? If he were satisfied and not motivated he'd roll in an hour before the game.

In regards to your other statement how long did Fernando Rodney last before he was yanked out and replaced by Walden? When Ervin Santana was struggling they put him on a tight 5-inning leash and yanked him if it started going South late in the year last season. Mike only has a certain amount of tools (25) in his toolbox to use and its not like you can just fire a player and bring in a new one who will take their place and perform better? Our farm system is limited in regards to major league ready talent and we don't have many trade chips available to fill a hole.

The point is that I think players have been replaced when they clearly have shown an inability to perform or if their attitude and dedication are less than stellar. Guillen, Spier, Rodney, et. al. have all been attitude/performance problems over the years and were traded or released because of it. It is my feeling that most MLB players want to succeed and they want to be winners. It is also my feeling that most MLB players want stability whether it is through job security (playing on a longer term contract in one city), financial security (enough money to retire on after baseball since, in some cases, they have forsaken college for baseball), or even job environmental security (working in an environment that is stable and not prone to moments of wild stress). The latter is what S-C-I-O-S-C-I-A tries to promote by maintaining an even keel throughout most of the game(s). The players are smart enough to know when they screw up and when they do well.

It seems that a majority of people prefer to work and try to do well at their jobs. I don't think that MLB players are any different from you and me, they just get very well compensated for their chose profession. I know I don't like to lose and most people don't.

With that A's bullpen the first home run was the game ender. If you want to beat the A's you have to beat them before they get to the 7th inning, not play catch up.

Scioscia didn't get the memo

I don't blame Scioscia for every loss this season, but pitching to Votto and his bullpen management last night place him as fault big time for those two losses, and I'm sure we'll see more moves like that as the year goes on.  It'd be nice to prevent that before it happens so the team can actually make the playoffs, unlike the last 3 seasons.

Actually, his management of the first game of the season was horrible, we were quite fortunate to get that win.