• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Richards

Cdaniel

well, it's certainly good news that they avoided arbitration.......

usually when a team takes a player to arbitration, it means they won't be able to sign him long term and the player 9.9 times out of 10 elects to pursue free agency as soon as the player is eligible to do so.

If Richards can pick up where he left off last year right before the injury....he's destined to be either an ace or at the minimum a top tier rotation guy.

$3.2 million this year and if he is healthy with no ill effects from the lay off and perform as he did last year - then the Halos should get an extension done before trade deadline time.

valid point on Trout -- players don't seem to forget the way a team treats them when the team takes them to arbitration.

arbitration just ruins any potential of a long term relationship between the player and the team because to protect its interest (pocket book/ payroll budget) the team presents a position at arbitration which essentially trashes the player's abilities and potential.......tends to sour the relationship big time.........the player (and the player's agent) comes out of the process with the mind set of "so that's what they REALLY think of me........I'm OUTTA HERE ASAP"

usually when a team takes a player to arbitration, it means they won't be able to sign him long term and the player 9.9 times out of 10 elects to pursue free agency as soon as the player is eligible to do so.

Considering that only 5-6 players go to arbitration each year, and a premium player goes only once every 4-5 years, I'm curious where you get that stat from?

Off the top of my head, the last one to see a hearing was Ryan Howard. And he still signed long term.

EDIT: Forgot that Jered Weaver guy.

http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=719&Itemid=116

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

Why?

They don't have to right now, and he still hasn't stepped on the field after suffering a major injury

Although I agree that the Angels should be a bit cautious because of the injury (and wait a bit to see how he recovers) they should also be seriously looking at extending him before his price skyrockets. Last season wasn't a fluke in my opinion and we have a high octane ace in the making here that may cost us a lot more if we don't sign him sooner rather than later.

Also he may consider an extension more seriously now that he has experienced a serious, freak injury. It may be an opportunity for the Angels to get a high quality pitcher at a reasonable extension price.

he's only going to keep getting better.  The jump he made last year was legit.  Even though I have been a believer, I expected last year to be solid and he was dominant.  Right now would be the best time to lock him up at a reasonable rate.  Stranger things have happened, but I don't expect that injury to have any significant effect long term.  

He's gonna get expensive considering he's a super 2.  Lock him up and take out a couple years of free agency.  Would love to have him thru age 32. 

Considering that only 5-6 players go to arbitration each year, and a premium player goes only once every 4-5 years, I'm curious where you get that stat from?

Off the top of my head, the last one to see a hearing was Ryan Howard. And he still signed long term.

EDIT: Forgot that Jered Weaver guy.

http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=719&Itemid=116

Jeff, how dare you argue with Angelswin Facts!