• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jordan Zimmermann for Kendrick and a Bullpen Arm Possible?

Zimm for sure.

Blockbuster:

Kendrick, Cron, Bedrosian/Morin,

for

Both Zimmermans.

trade Freese and bring beckham back at a discount.

I think I just vomited in my mouth. One Zimmerman can't stay healthy and thus can't produce and the other is a short term fix in an area the Angels actually have a bit of depth in.

Not to mention the money that switches hands could very well put us over the dreaded luxury tax.

While ideal in theory, that trade would cripple the Halos. Cron was a rookie last year and he's basically Mark Trumbo all over again, which this offense could sort of use, especially as Ham and Pujols further decline. Next, you don't just give Bedrosian away in a package for one year fixes when he's a big part of your future late innings.

From the Article.

Yankees. They're saying privately they won't pursue Scherzer and/or Jon Lester, citing the questionable track records of pitchers who sign $100 million contracts.

Buyers remorse already on the Tanaka deal.

Things have really changed since the old man died. During that time the Yankees probably would have signed both of them.

Do you think that could have anything to do with the fact that our offense is really top heavy?  That we dont have a deep lineup that is capable of putting together a string of quality at bats against good pitching.  

This couldn't be further the truth.

The Angels had 10 hitters who were league average or better. By wRC+, Trout(167), Iannetta(126), Calhoun(125), Pujols(124), Kendrick(115), Hamilton(113), Cron(113), Freese(106), Cowgill(103) and Aybar(101) were all better than league average hitters. That means the Angels had 1 elite hitter, 3 good hitters, 3 above average-good hitters and 3 near league average hitters. Check around baseball and you don't see this happen very often. 

So your claim that the offense isn't deep is actually totally false. 

As far as this deal goes, it's not too unrealistic IMO. Kendrick was worth 4.6 WAR and Zimmerman was worth 5.2 WAR. Add in Kevin Jepsen and his 0.9 WAR and this deal is pretty fair. Kendrick and Zimmerman are both FA after '15. Nats need a 2B unless they trust Espinosa, which doesn't seem like the case. Angels NEED another starter and Zimmerman is a top 15 type of pitcher. 

I understand what QM is trying to say. He really is talking about hitters that work that count and make pitchers work. We have three of those hitters on the team, Calhoun, Trout and Ianetta. So when you are in the playoffs pitching is better and a lot of our hitters don't work the count. I agree with that part of the post just not the premise that we don't have a deep line up.

I understand what QM is trying to say. He really is talking about hitters that work that count and make pitchers work. We have three of those hitters on the team, Calhoun, Trout and Ianetta. So when you are in the playoffs pitching is better and a lot of our hitters don't work the count. I agree with that part of the post just not the premise that we don't have a deep line up.

You'll be shocked to find that Calhoun ranked 9th among Angels hitters when it came to P/PA last year behind guys like Cron, and Kendrick during the LCS.  

Over the regular season Calhoun's 3.72 P/PA was identical to HK, and just ahead of AP's 3.68.  Cron came in at 3.83.  

I think I just vomited in my mouth. One Zimmerman can't stay healthy and thus can't produce and the other is a short term fix in an area the Angels actually have a bit of depth in.

Not to mention the money that switches hands could very well put us over the dreaded luxury tax.

While ideal in theory, that trade would cripple the Halos. Cron was a rookie last year and he's basically Mark Trumbo all over again, which this offense could sort of use, especially as Ham and Pujols further decline. Next, you don't just give Bedrosian away in a package for one year fixes when he's a big part of your future late innings.

yeah.  I was sorta joking.  I just wanted to write zimmermans.

but I would love to see what sort of pitching we could get for Cron and just keep Howie.  Let Green get some DH time.  

yeah.  I was sorta joking.  I just wanted to write zimmermans.

but I would love to see what sort of pitching we could get for Cron and just keep Howie.  Let Green get some DH time.  

Now that right there I could get on board with.  If Green's the DH and occasional infield sub, that does leave Cron open for trade and as we've seen, young, controllable RH power can net you two good young SP in the right scenario.  

No way Cron gets the package that Trumbo required.

This I actually have to agree with at this point in time. I don't think Cron has the track record in the Majors that Trumbo did when we traded him and his defensive liability will hurt him a bit more too. He is cost-controlled more but this may be a reason why he doesn't get traded this season.

I do agree with Dochalo that we could move Cron for a young controllable pitcher but I don't think we could get two of them for where Cron is at in his career right now.

Because of Cron's defensive questions you'd likely only be able to trade him to an American League team in my humble opinion.

This I actually have to agree with at this point in time. I don't think Cron has the track record in the Majors that Trumbo did when we traded him and his defensive liability will hurt him a bit more too. He is cost-controlled more but this may be a reason why he doesn't get traded this season.

I do agree with Dochalo that we could move Cron for a young controllable pitcher but I don't think we could get two of them for where Cron is at in his career right now.

Because of Cron's defensive questions you'd likely only be able to trade him to an American League team in my humble opinion.

I think this would be correct. As a first baseman, he makes a good DH.

This, unfortunately, limits the Angels' options because half the teams are automatically eliminated.

Is the Nats minor league that stocked with talented young pitchers? Or are they not willing to ante up to retain their own aces?

Yes it is. They just added AJ Cole (their #2 prospect according to mlb.com) to their 40-man, and their #1 (Lucas Giolito) should be up in 2016. Nine of their top 20 are pitchers.

Seems like a fit.  That's about as much as I can say.  Personally, as much as I like Kendrick, I recognize the fact that he'll be out sooner or later and that he likely won't net the Angels a draft pick because he'd accept the one year deal at 15+ million.  I feel like Grant Green has earned a permanent spot in this lineup and I also feel that Alex Yarbrough is going to be in the same league as Kendrick in terms of value. 

This doesn't mean give Howie away, not at all.  He can be a bit part of the offense and this team has World Series aspirations.  But for a GOOD starting pitcher with more than one year of control or a prospect, I'd certainly do it. 

Overall though, I can't imagine the Nats would do this unless it makes their team improved for the future and doesn't set them too far back for 2015.  They have solid starting pitching coming up so they would want at least one high end middle infield prospect to play 2b for 2015 and potentially move to SS if they lose desmond.  I'd imagine it would take something similar to what the Cubs got for Samardzija 

@wboor: Max Scherzer to the #Nationals ? http://t.co/dV5nlG5CWx

Could Scherzer wind up in Washington?

With Stephen Strasburg, Jordan Zimmerman, Doug Fister, Gio Gonzalez and Tanner Roark, the Nationals have a starting rotation that few – if any – teams in baseball can match.

However, the Washington Post wonders if the Nationals could make a play for Max Scherzer and improve an already terrific rotation.

Scherzer, a 30-year old right hander won the 2013 American League Cy Young Award and was productive again in 2014 as he went 18-5 with a 3.15 ERA.

If the Nationals were able to find a way to land Scherzer it would likely open the door for them to trade one of their current starters.

General Manager Mike Rizzo hasn’t ruled out the possibility of making a trade and if the Nationals do trade one of their young arms, they could likely get some pretty nice pieces in return.

“[Zimmermann is] a key part of the team,” Rizzo said last week at the General Manager meetings. “I would never say definitely [about trading him]. He’s a key part of the team. It would be a tough guy to move. But again, never say never because stranger things have happened.”

- William Boor

Edited by AngelsAndRamsFan

the nats have a pretty interesting situation coming up in that they have very few long term contracts yet a bunch of their key players are to be free agents after the 2015 season.  Ink the wrong guys and they could give themselves a very narrow window.  Pick the right guys and they could be a major powerhouse for many years.  They also seem to have a pretty good relationship with Boras but a bunch of their better players are boras clients.  So they aren't likely to get any home town discounts or guys to sign in advance of free agency.  They probably have a ton of payroll flexibility right now, but that is going to close down very soon.  

I am not sure signing Scherzer would be a good move unless they don't think they can bring back any of their own guys.  While I'd love to get zimm or even fister, if they are going to move those guys it will be for someone we just don't have to give them.