• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Another Trout slump

The simple fact of the matter is that Trout was a better player in 2012-13 than he is in 2014. It isn't by much, but it is noticeable.

Trout's is almost to last season's strikeout totals with 51 games left to play. He is no where closet to last season's walk totals, if it were his OBP would be well over .400 which would make the strikeouts less of an issue.

And I do remember you taking about Ted Williams' 3 month slumber one year back in his hey day.

It is shocking when it happens to someone like Trout who has been so good for 2 2/3 seasons.

But it isn't anything like that Williams slumber.

In 1978 Mike Schmidt hit .205 from May to August, with only 34 RBI in three months.

There are so many other examples.

I find it funny that all the dogs are turning on trout now. I onew it would happen sooner or later. Loyalty sure is lacking here.

What the hell are you talking about? Who is "turning on" Trout?

In your view should we not mention Trout slumping or critique his game if we want to remain "loyal" to him?

I am much more worried about Hamilton. He looks like he just doesn't care. He shows no emotion. He must be on an antidepressant. Aybar has not produced the second half and also Calhoun. This is a total team effort (or lack thereof). Still it is Trout who ignites the offense. As he goes so go the Halos.

One of the things that makes Trout so great at such a young age is that above his raw talent he has had the uncanny ability to adjust so quickly.  Even during an at bat.  

For the first time, there is a pitch that he hasn't been able to adjust to.  He recognizes it, swings at it, but just can't hit it.  The problem is that it's a pitch in the strike zone so with two strikes, he has to try to swing at it.  

He's clearly trying to work his way thru this but I think it's having an effect on his approach.  I have no doubt that he'll figure out what to do to make it better, but this is likely to follow him around and have an effect on his performance to some degree.  

Trout will be fine. But agree with AJ, hes not above critique. And im also w you AJ, I like 'the other version' of trout better. Would rsther him be a 30/30 guy than a 35-40/10 guy. Im wondering if it has something to do with MVP? As in hes seen mcab get it for home runs/rbi, while his triples, stolen bases etc dont get him the award?

Doc, what is the pitch he can't adjust to? Or are you talking in general?

Ocho, the lack of stolen bases remains a mystery. I imagine he'll ramp it up and end with 20 or so, but that's from 49 to 33 to 20. I'm hoping that he goes back to stealing more bases next year. I honestly don't get it.

Anyhow, while this season is a slight down-tick from last year, he's almost certainly going to win the MVP award - unless he slumps terribly and Abreu continues at his torrid pace. But he'd have to really fall apart for the voters not to give it to him this year after the last two.

AO, I'm going to have to agree with Stradling here. If we were talking 40 games, I'd be far more concerned, but even in the midst of this slump Trout had a few multi-hit games.

I suppose my larger concern is that I prefer the higher average, base-stealing version of Trout that we saw in 2012-13. The 2014 version, who hits more home runs (but only a few) has a lower average, reduced walks, and far fewer stolen bases. I'm worried that Trout is sacrificing too much for too little gain. I'd rather see him focus more on getting on base however he can, doing what damage he can while on base, than always trying to yard.

The simple fact of the matter is that Trout was a better player in 2012-13 than he is in 2014. It isn't by much, but it is noticeable.

I prefer a Trout that hits more HR's and more RBI's. Last I heard he was leading in runs scored ... maybe not now. He's in the top ten in OBP.

The only thing I can think of in terms of stolen bases (and I could be totally wrong) is that either its a team philosophy thing, like sosh/dipoto whoever is telling him not to (which I cant see why that would be the case), or someone else (his agent) is telling him its not worth the risk, could get hurt, be a home run guy etc.

Again, not in any way saying thats what it is, I just cant see anything else that would make sense. Hes already got his contract, so I dont think hes upped his home runs to get paid more. But (unless my eyes are fooling me) he seems more and more like hes trying to go yard instead of hitting gappers.

I truly think its got something to do with the mvp award. Hes lost 2 years straight to a guy hitting more like he is now, who doesnt steal. Just a theory. And to be fair, if that were the case, I cant really blame him. It would appear greedy on the surface, but away from the media hes gotta be kind of burned anout being the runner up twice.

Well the good thing about Trout is that with his uncanny ability to adjust, and the fact that he's so young (he's still younger than Tim Salmon was when he played his first major league game), he could theoretically combine the best of his last couple years in 2015 and beyond. How about .320/1.000+ with 35 HR, 35 SB and improved defense? That's an 11 WAR season.

Remember how we were worried about those articles showing Trout's low hot zones?  Well, it was founded because pitchers have indeed stopped throwing him breaking stuff at the knees.  He's now getting probably about 80% fastballs and isn't doing anything but swing right through them.  HIs swing is extreme upper cut right now and that swing doesn't cut it against hard fastballs.  If he's truly so "quick to adjust", we should start seeing that pretty soon, cause this has been going on for quite a while, even dating back to last year.  Pitchers are now just committing to a much higher percentage of fastballs than Mike is used to.  Like what they're doing with Hamilton and off speed, just keep throwing it every pitch until they prove they can hit it.  

Cut the bullshit. You guys are doing more than just say Trout is slumping.

"Need to sit him"

"League as figured him out"

"He is turrible"

"This is more than just a slump"

These are not direct quotes but fair interpretations

What the hell are you talking about? Who is "turning on" Trout?

In your view should we not mention Trout slumping or critique his game if we want to remain "loyal" to him?

Edited by stormngt

Cut the bullshit. You guys are doing more 5th an just say Trout is slumping.

"Need to sit him"

"He is turrible"

And not a single one of those means anyone has turned on him.  It means we're frustrated with his performance as is Mike I'm sure.  

Like I already said, trout is still the best player in baseball, and im confidant he'll fix the prob soon enough. But I dont think he or anyone else is above fingerpointing. Its been said on here a lot that coaches get too little credit and too much blame. Very true. The same rings true for players. If were going to give these guys credit, they also need to be held accountable when they fail

Trouts just slumping. Not much more to it than that. But hes not above being recognized that hes slumping.

Well I see things differently than most but I believe despite how he's playing he should be treated with respect even in the vent thread. So instead of the, "Mike sucks Yo!" Posts. A simple "man he's struggling" or "perhaps he needs a day to clear his head", instead of bench him for a day. I know it's basically the same thing but imagine someone is saying these things to you, which method would you prefer?

Trout is fine.......he will work his way out of this --

but from the outset, he really K's a lot and needs to work on that.......

I guess the trade off is, IF you want power numbers, K's are going to be up. If you want average and don't need the HRs, then, perhaps, fewer K's.

but, hey, we're just coming off a four game series with the Dodgers and I heard Vin Scully pronounce:

"Mike Trout, WITHOUT A DOUBT, is the best ballplayer in MLB today"

If Vinny said it, it's gotta be true........

Cut the bullshit. You guys are doing more than just say Trout is slumping.

"Need to sit him"

"He is turrible"

Nice overreaction. Half of those posts were tongue in cheek. I know you don't get jokes, but there you go.