• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

No Gwynn tribute during ASG

Diaz15

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/mlb-strikes-out-with-no-tony-gwynn-tributes-or-mentions-during-all-star-game-041822974.html

I admit that I was wrapped up in the game. Between Trout winning the MVP and all the Jeter festivities, I didn't notice the lack of Gwynn tribute until it was all over. MLB seems to have dropped the ball on this one.

Somebody on twitter also pointed this out. I find it very disrespectful that they can slobber all over Jeter for 5 hours, but not even give Tony Gwynn's name a simple mention. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate, but I think a lot of fans would have liked to see him given a moment of silence at least. Shame.

They've done this 'tribute' crap for other players.... Ripken for one.

Gwynn got a tribute the year he retired.  Hell, I remember Selig getting on a damn podium in the middle of the freaking game for a 'tribute' for someone.

Enough of the tributes, whether you are alive or dead.  I'm ambivalent on Jeter's tribute because they are always tributing.

I'm certainly not going to complain because there weren't MORE tributes.

Just play the stupid game.

His contract is done after this season and he knows the Yankees are done extending it so the retirement announcement was inevitable.

Yep, much better than the circus would have surrounded him if he didn't announce it. "Will the Yankees extend Jeter???" "Will he retire?" etc.

There was a moment when they could have mentioned Gwynn when they pointed out Rod Carew and his 7 batting titles when he threw the first pitch. Joe Buck missed the opportunity. I'm not mad at him for it. It's not FOX's responsibility to do an In Memoriam during the All-Star game like it's the Oscars or something.

I didn't notice that they forgot and didn't think about it until the media started blowing it up. Personally, I don't think it's that big a deal. Many players pass during each season - some of them great. At what point do we say which players get honored and which don't. Hall of Fame? Former All Star? Former Batting Champion or Cy Young award winner? For me, the All Star game is there to honor the best CURRENT players in baseball. For this, they probably hit it a little too far out of the park with Jeter, hence the controversy.

I didn't notice they forgot about Gwynn and I'm sure 95% of the other viewers didn't notice either.

MLB and Bud sharted on themselves by not taking the time to recognize and celebrate Tony's career.  It is really not surprising because Tony demonstrated class and grace, which is something Bud is not familiar with.

The way the ASG break is structured, you would think that MLB would pay tribute to the past, honor the present and celebrate the future.

Whatever........Play ball-beat the Mariners!

Jeter's got good numbers and all that.  Not astounding, but good.  It seems his major accomplishment is staying with one team for his entire career.  Check that:  His main accomplishment is that he stayed with the Yankees his entire career.  I would be impressed if Jeter stayed with the Yanks for the league minimum, but as far as I know, he was paid handsomly to stay with one team.  Very handsomly. 

On a couple of the national sports radio shows yesterday, some of these broadcasters were besides themselves that Jeter could handle the so-called pressure of the NY media for all these years.  Like the NY media is some sort of KGB and 'surviving' it is like a tour of duty in Iraq.  Jeebus!  Big f'ing deal!  The NY media is pretty much the same as anywhere else...there's just more of it.

If Jeter were Vladdy Guerrero and stayed with the Expos/Nationals his entire career, I doubt there would be such a media/marketing frenzy.

Not surprising.  Heck, Selig didn't find it worth his time to go to the public memorial.  Instead he sent one of his cronies to represent the MLB, who if he is the heir to the throne, MLB is in trouble.  

lol - jesus what people expect Selig to do.

Jeter's got good numbers and all that.  Not astounding, but good.  It seems his major accomplishment is staying with one team for his entire career.  Check that:  His main accomplishment is that he stayed with the Yankees his entire career.  I would be impressed if Jeter stayed with the Yanks for the league minimum, but as far as I know, he was paid handsomly to stay with one team.  Very handsomly. 

On a couple of the national sports radio shows yesterday, some of these broadcasters were besides themselves that Jeter could handle the so-called pressure of the NY media for all these years.  Like the NY media is some sort of KGB and 'surviving' it is like a tour of duty in Iraq.  Jeebus!  Big f'ing deal!  The NY media is pretty much the same as anywhere else...there's just more of it.

If Jeter were Vladdy Guerrero and stayed with the Expos/Nationals his entire career, I doubt there would be such a media/marketing frenzy.

He was an integral part of what, five World Series champs?  Its worth something.  Its worth a lot.

He made maybe the most iconic on-the-field play of this generation in the playoffs, the flip in the playoffs that caught the Oakland guy.

And look at who are the most revered players of the past decade: Ripken, Gwynn, Jeter... it DOES matter when you stay your entire career w one team.

Ya, 3,400+ hits isn't astounding at all.

I said it before, jeter is overrated because he was a yankee. That said, he was FAR etter than some on here are giving him credit for.

5th all time in hits...was a beast in october (and november of 2001). I think some of you are putting too much stock in his power numbers. And I can understand that totally. But then whag about guys like cobb and gwynn?