• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

No Gwynn tribute during ASG

Diaz15

This makes absolutely zero sense.

He knew once he announced his retirement, he'd get all this attention. Presentations at road games, and a 4 hour presentation last night apparently.

But Eric made a good point. Everyone knew Yanks weren't going to extend him so he almost had too.

Jeter's got good numbers and all that. Not astounding, but good. It seems his major accomplishment is staying with one team for his entire career. Check that: His main accomplishment is that he stayed with the Yankees his entire career. I would be impressed if Jeter stayed with the Yanks for the league minimum, but as far as I know, he was paid handsomly to stay with one team. Very handsomly.

On a couple of the national sports radio shows yesterday, some of these broadcasters were besides themselves that Jeter could handle the so-called pressure of the NY media for all these years. Like the NY media is some sort of KGB and 'surviving' it is like a tour of duty in Iraq. Jeebus! Big f'ing deal! The NY media is pretty much the same as anywhere else...there's just more of it.

If Jeter were Vladdy Guerrero and stayed with the Expos/Nationals his entire career, I doubt there would be such a media/marketing frenzy.

nailed it

Ya, 3,400+ hits isn't astounding at all.

haha - I seriously didn't realize he had that many.  Combine it with the multiple WS championships, and staying the entire career with one team - they may have actually undersold it, by MLB standards.

The Jeter/Gwynn/Selig/ASG stuff on this thread is nearing legendary status.

He knew once he announced his retirement, he'd get all this attention. Presentations at road games, and a 4 hour presentation last night apparently.

But Eric made a good point. Everyone knew Yanks weren't going to extend him so he almost had too.

He didn't ask for any of this stuff.  Blame it on dillweeds like the Arte Moreno group who insist on paintings and such.

Ignoring Tony Gwynns passing, a Hall of Famer that accomplished more than Jeter in his time...

Not disputing that more should have been done for Gwynn... but... Just curous... How has Tony Gwynn accomplished more? 

Jeter's got good numbers and all that.  Not astounding, but good.

Jeter is going to end up 6th in all-time hits, possibly 5th... I say that's astounding, all things considered. More hits than Gwynn, Brett, and a host of others.

I've never given Jeter the credit he deserves, but I have come to recognize that my view of him was jaded by my disdain for the Yankees.  When I really look at his career objectively, I find it pretty amazing.

Edited by True Grich

YK, this was one of the worst broadcasts of any All Star game. They chose to dedicate the entire broadcast to one player and completely ignored that the fans of 29 other teams were watching as well. Ignoring Tony Gwynns passing, a Hall of Famer that accomplished more than Jeter in his time, was disrespectful to the Gwynn family and all members of the Hall, that their careers can be completely ignored to promote one player from the Yankees.

I used to be somewhat ambivalent about Derek Jeter and the attention he got, now I really want this guy to go the hell away. I want ESPN to shut the **** up about him, he is not the entire season of baseball alone and unto himself. He is a washed up Yankee, barely able to hold his own on the field anymore and should be recognized now as a guy that hung around too long instead of all the ass licking he gets every single day.

Give him his gift basket and call a cab, he is done.

Agreed.

Man you guys are sour.  The guy has been a winner, and a fan favorite (hint, ASG is supposed to be about the fans)

When they bow down to trout in 20 years, you'll be acting like it's the second coming… get ready to pucker up, your guys will get his Jeter treatment when the time comes.   

Lay off the haterade.  It's one game, and Jeter is the present, soon to be past.   Trout will be the new Jeter.   

I don't have a problem with all the accolades being given to Jeter, who has never done anything to embarrass himself, his team, or MLB, and will be deserving of a first ballot HOF selection.

I do have a big problem with not doing anything to acknowledge the passing of Tony Gwynn (or even Welch or Zimmer...or Dr Yocum), who also never did anything to embarrass himself, his team, or MLB and was also deserving of a first ballot HOF selection.

Both of these guys are/were class acts, and to have MLB honor the living one was fine...not honoring the passing of the other was a huge fail for MLB & Fox.

I'd like to know if this was the first ASG that MLB didn't pay tribute to someone who died. I mean, this isn't the first time someone from MLB died between ASG's.

It may not have been, but there have been few former All-Stars that passed so soon after the end of their playing careers. Off the top of my head, I can think of only Clemente, Ruth, and Gehrig.

How hard could it have been to at least have a moment of silence?

Wow.  I stand corrected...I had no idea Jeter had so many hits.  Very impressive.

That said, I really don't care.  I don't think the attention he's getting is comprable to his achievements.  I don't blame Jeter.  Seems we're both victims of media overkill, I suppose.

Thanks for setting me right with the hit count.