• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Conger vs Ianetta

I never bought into the whole CERA when it was brought up in the Mathis and Napoli arguments especially since Mathis was used as an exclusive catcher to our best starting pitchers.

But I believe CERA between Conger and Ianetta has merit since both has catched different starting pitchers various times.

Ianetta 4.23

Conger 3.59

That's a huge difference and can be attributed directly to how bad Ianetta is at framing pitches and on the other side how effective Conger is at framing pitches.

What do you guys think about this topic?

They both have their (bad) moments behind the plate, but I don't think the Angels are weak at that position. Neither guy is great but their overall production should be above average. 

Iannetta can't frame pitches for shit

They both have their (bad) moments behind the plate, but I don't think the Angels are weak at that position. Neither guy is great but their overall production should be above average. 

Iannetta can't frame pitches for shit

But I am not talking about Ianetta as a hitter.

I think he's a good hitter and can be really good at times but his defense is costing the team lot of runs in the run prevention area.

You spelled Iannetta wrong.

Anyway, I will take Conger over Ianetta any day of the week purely because he's an Asian catcher.

Can't beat those kung fu instincts behind the plate.

And he said "both has catched". I caught that before the misspelling of "Iannetta", which, admittedly, is easy to do.

we've lost the last 5 games that iannetta has started as catcher while giving up 9, 11, 6, 7, and 8 runs in those games.  iannetta started all 3 losses vs oakland.  in other words the angels started losing a lot since scioscia started giving the bulk of playing time to iannetta.

i know our pitching is a lot better than that, and it seems like there is always an issue with strikes not being called by the umpire when iannetta is behind the plate.  the angels pitchers were able to get outs despite missing so many strike calls, but there was no way they could continue losing strikes and still pitch well.  

i dont get why scioscia doesnt see that iannetta is a huge problem behind the plate?  or maybe he's just holding a grudge because iannetta is one of dipoto's guys, so he's trying to throw it in dipoto's face.

You can't use overall CERA as a valid measure because it doesn't account for whom they are matched up with.   Of course then you did break down two specific examples, but chose only to compare them with our two young pitchers, who are prone to bouts of inconsistency all on their own.  Iannetta also has a pile of ER from a couple of trainwreck Santiago starts.  

But what about with our two best pitchers?  

Weaver

Conger - 3.71 ERA in 34 IP

Iannetta - 3.05 ERA in 44.1 IP

Wilson

Conger - 3.61 ERA in 46.1 IP

Iannetta - 3.38 ERA in 32 IP

So what now?

EDIT:  ok you added it in while I was getting my cup of coffee before hitting post.  

Edited by markb

You can't use overall CERA as a valid measure because it doesn't account for whom they are matched up with.   Of course then you did break down two specific examples, but chose only to compare them with our two young pitchers, who are prone to bouts of inconsistency all on their own.  Iannetta also has a pile of ER from a couple of trainwreck Santiago starts.  

But what about with our two best pitchers?  

Weaver

Conger - 3.71 ERA in 34 IP

Iannetta - 3.05 ERA in 44.1 IP

Wilson

Conger - 3.61 ERA in 46.1 IP

Iannetta - 3.38 ERA in 32 IP

So what now?

EDIT:  ok you added it in while I was getting my cup of coffee before hitting post.  

I am at work so I was doing the numbers on each pitcher separately.

I am kind of surprised on CJ's numbers since I figured he would benefit the most since he is such a nibbler.

But Weaver I can understand since he has the most precise control in the Angel's rotation.

Edited by rageous

One thing that really irritated me yesterday watching Iannetta catch is when Bedrosian was pitching he looks like was gonna get out of it if it wasn't for Iannetta dropping a foul tip ball out of his mitt. The dude had it and dropped the freaking ball. Stuff like that and of course his "stabbing" at pitches. It's the little things like that that makes a huge difference.