• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Before Angelswin.com???

On 5/3/2014 at 10:26 PM, Chuckster70 said:

Funny, back to the ESPN mass migration. Brian Ilten (Angel25Fan) was the moderator for the Angels ESPN board. He was off on vacation in Florida sometime during the 2006 season. Trolls were out of control and there was no moderator around. When Brian came back from vacation, nobody was left on the ESPN board, they were all at AngelsWin.com. I had made some friends from the ESPN board, including Brian, so he didn't mind coming over and inviting the rest of the remaining peeps lurking and posting on that board. 

TIL Chuck paid for Brian to go on vacation in 2006, vacating his moderator post and resulting in troll overflow on ESPN so that everyone would feel compelled to go to AngelsWin.

I was on the OMB.

Seems so long ago.  My dominant memory of that board was a nuclear war between me and AngelGraffiti over who should start everyday at shortstop, Eric Aybar vs. Brandon Wood.

AngelGraffiti was a very opinionated and super stubborn poster.   I suppose I am too.

AG’s take was that Wood had not earned the position and that Aybar was way underrated and would actually go down as the greatest shortstop in Angel history.

My take was there was literally no reason for Wood to be back in the minors and also no reason to have him sit on the bench so they needed to just put him in the lineup and forget about him, that it is pretty tough for players to earn tomorrow’s start with success in today’s at bats, and that Aybar was a good player but definitely not all that special.

If I remember correctly this debate went on for probably 500,000 words.  I am a bit embarrassed by it now.

In the end we were both right and we were both wrong.

There was a reason to not start Wood.  He had massive anxiety problems that made him unstable mentally.  We didn’t know this at the time but that’s what was going on.

He ended up a bust.

And Aybar was not the all time greatest shortstop in Angel history.

Eventually I found out that AG had some condition like aspergers (or something like that) that caused him to be really abrasive and condescending, so Instarted to view him differently.  So he had an excuse for being obnoxious.  I didn’t.  Other than just not being mature enough.

But the most fun I had in that board was impersonating Glausisthaman.  OMG that was fun.

Glausisthaman was such a crazy homer for Glaus that every post was about Glaus being a beast with beast power and he ended like every post with something like: “paaaabooooombaa!”  (I guess the sound of a Glaus homer coming off the bat?).

So I started an account like Glausistheman (one letter off of his name) and I would post all over the place mimicking him.  The key was not the exaggerate his ridiculous homerism on Glaus but to be exactly like he would be.

This made it almost impossible to detect if it was him or me the imposter.  It drove him insane for a little bit following me around trying to tell people the last post wasn’t him, even though whatever I wrote would be basically identical to what he would have written.

To me anyway, it was hilarious and harmless and I got a huge kick out of a couple of posters asking the legit Glausisthaman “what difference does it make?”  “Are you telling me you would not have posted the same exact thing?”  “Who cares if there is one of you, two of you or nine of you?  Every post is the same anyway.”

So that was fun (albeit obnoxious).

Anyway I mostly had fun on that board despite some of my own cringe posts that didn’t age well.

I was very sorry the board was removed and was really hesitant to “start over” on another board but I am very glad this board exists and happy to be here.

Edited by Dtwncbad

I guess I will tell a story that fits here in this thread even if it is not baseball related.

When AOL became widespread, their chat rooms were really popular.  If I recall, there was a limit to the number of people that could be in a chat room, like 12 maybe?

Anyway there would be chat rooms called very specific things like “Best TV shows” or “Ford vs Chevy”.

So my friends and I would lurk around and decide on a room to enter.  We would never indicate that we knew each other at all.

Here was the game:  enter a topic specific room, casually and accidentally “discover” that others in the room had a different common interest, steer (and dominate) the conversation to the alternate subject, and just never ever break character.  The live entertainment would be the comments getting mad about talking about the “wrong subject” for that room, and the win was when everyone else gave up and vacated the room leaving only us.

So in a Ford vs. Chevy room where people are talking about horsepower and transaxle towing ability, I would mention my wife left all her croche supplies in my Ford.  Then my friends would be like, “she does croche?  So does my wife.”  Than another friend would be like “don’t knock it until you try it, I do it myself”.  And I might ask “How did you get into it?”  

And then the croche topic would take over with all the Ford vs. Chevy guys heads exploding.  Of the greatest importance was to convince the room this was simply accidental and a coincidence and that we didn’t know each other but that this was truly, organically just the inevitable path of the conversation in the chat room.

All I can tell you is it was so much fun and we would get ourselves laughing so hard we could not even function.

It was awesome.

23 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

But the most fun I had in that board was impersonating Glausisthaman.  OMG that was fun.

Glausisthaman was such a crazy homer for Glaus that every post was about Glaus being a beast with beast power and he ended like every post with something like: “paaaabooooombaa!”  (I guess the sound of a Glaus homer coming off the bat?).

So I started an account like Glausistheman (one letter off of his name) and I would post all over the place mimicking him.  The key was not the exaggerate his ridiculous homerism on Glaus but to be exactly like he would be.

This made it almost impossible to detect if it was him or me the imposter.  It drove him insane for a little bit following me around trying to tell people the last post wasn’t him, even though whatever I wrote would be basically identical to what he would have written.

To me anyway, it was hilarious and harmless and I got a huge kick out of a couple of posters asking the legit Glausisthaman “what difference does it make?”  “Are you telling me you would not have posted the same exact thing?”  “Who cares if there is one of you, two of you or nine of you?  Every post is the same anyway.”

I had completely forgotten about Glausistheman, but "paboooomba!" brought me back. I too would create fake and troll accounts back then, impersonating Justin, Lee, and others. 

Just now, tdawg87 said:

I trolled the absolute fuck out of the OMB. It was just a big clique and if you weren't in it you were treated unfairly. So I stopped posting seriously and started saying offensive shit to piss people off. I was like 17-18.

The Lee shit was hilarious though.

So you were saangels. 

15 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I trolled the absolute fuck out of the OMB. It was just a big clique and if you weren't in it you were treated unfairly. So I stopped posting seriously and started saying offensive shit to piss people off. I was like 17-18.

The Lee shit was hilarious though.

I do feel bad about the hard time that guy got, particularly now that he's dead.

I was never active enough to participate in any of it, but I do remember thinking that whoever this Lee guy was must've pissed everyone off somehow. 

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Funny enough, I did the same thing once. Remember how he would create these fan fiction short stories about Glaus? Like time and time again? I did the same thing once, but made one about him stalking glaus. 

If i remember it was him vs the board, w the main argument being glaus vs Dmac.

Also, nostalgia for angelgraffiti. Good poster, very knowledgeable. But yeah, could come off as a prick. But he was one of the first to change my views between sabr and old school stats.

I used to think the same of exileindc. But he was the other that opened my eyes. Kind of like the @Inside Pitch of that board. 

Him, thaisdad, and jack daly were who i remember most, along with @Victorious Ghost. wish those guys posted here (especially Jack... RIP)

2 hours ago, TaylorBot said:

I had completely forgotten about Glausistheman, but "paboooomba!" brought me back. I too would create fake and troll accounts back then, impersonating Justin, Lee, and others. 

When I first joined, someone called me Justin. Id never been in an online chat group before. I assumed it was some internet slang put down.

So Id start calling other people "a justin" when we'd argue. Never figured out he was actually a person, not a thing, until maybe the 2009 season.

Along those lines, I was drunk once and caught like 2 innings of a game at the catch w a guy named adam, who was a die hard fan. Because I was drunk, and he was named adam, and a diehard fan, I assumed he was @Adam. And in my drunken state started making references to this board. This went on for like 2 full innings.

I remember him kind of going along w it, so it seemed legit. But then again I was drunk, and he probably looked at me like I was an idiot from the first comment I made, I just didnt pick up on it 

"Hey dude, lol, we should take a picture of our asses and post it on the board, see of Chuck removes it, hahaha" (slaps his shoulder) - me

"........ yeah" (looks at me and asks for his tab) - him

(Hears him say yeah, assumes he meant "hell yeah!", starts to drop my pants)

He leaves cash without even waiting for his bill, and leaves. 

I get offended, decide no likes for @Adam .... even when he posts about Richland high, and the ugly dude with the overgrown pork sword.

Hungover the next day.... looks at the pic of my ass and some guy who looks shocked..... then sees he doesnt match up with the pics of adam at the AW spring training events....

..... wonders if that guy, who just wanted to have a drink and watch the game, called the cops....

Edit. This is similar to the short stories glausistheman would make

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

I do feel bad about the hard time that guy got, particularly now that he's dead.

I was never active enough to participate in any of it, but I do remember thinking that whoever this Lee guy was must've pissed everyone off somehow. 

I don't. Dude is an internet legend. He's been dead over a decade and we're still here talking about him on an entirely different board from the one he helped troll out of existence.

16 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Funny enough, I did the same thing once. Remember how he would create these fan fiction short stories about Glaus? Like time and time again? I did the same thing once, but made one about him stalking glaus. 

If i remember it was him vs the board, w the main argument being glaus vs Dmac.

Also, nostalgia for angelgraffiti. Good poster, very knowledgeable. But yeah, could come off as a prick. But he was one of the first to change my views between sabr and old school stats.

I used to think the same of exileindc. But he was the other that opened my eyes. Kind of like the @Inside Pitch of that board. 

Him, thaisdad, and jack daly were who i remember most, along with @Victorious Ghost. wish those guys posted here (especially Jack... RIP)

I also had a an argument with Angel Graffiti where he was adamant that he was basically the only person on the board that knew anything about SABR.  Very assuming and dismissive and condescending (same word I used before).

Then I dropped the fact on him that I personally worked directly for Allan Roth when I was in college in the 80s where we would put together stats for games broadcast on ABC.  Roth hated being boxed in on what ABC wanted from him and never stopped talking about advanced stats and how hard it was to get establishment media and teams to take it seriously.  The Los Angels chapter of SABR was named after him after he died.

Bill James says “He (Roth) was the guy that started it all.”

Anyway, instead of saying, “Hey I didn’t know that!  Thats interesting.  Tell more!” he just went with the “you are bullshitting you don’t know what you are talking about route.

The guy was so inflexible!  Eventually we co-existed without issues but man that dude was tough.