• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Skaggs still likely in rotation despite recent struggles

Tyler Skaggs still looks primed to be the Angels' fifth starter out of Spring Training, but he hasn't necessarily impressed lately. Over his last 11 1/3 innings, the 22-year-old left-hander has allowed 11 runs. And on Wednesday against the White Sox, while giving up five runs in 4 1/3 innings, he admittedly didn't have command of anything.

View the full article

Good. He's going to take his bumps for sure, but it will be better for the team in the long run. Also he is better than Blanton.

I'm guessing the pen is going to need to be in top shape for his starts though. He will likely average about 5 innings a start.

As he should be. Better stuff and higher upside than Blanton. Let him get his development. No sense wasting a rotation spot on Blanton who 1. sucks and 2. is a FA after the year and obviously isn't in the teams long term plans(thank god)

So, two established major-league starters, and three guys who are "getting their development". And an arsonist (Blanton) ready to step in if needed.

THAT's a recipe for success if I ever heard one!

At least this years rotation has upside to it. Last year they had a damaged goods former top prospect, a league average #4-5 starter, and a innings eater scrub. This year they have 3 young arms with good stuff. They werent' going to get 3 sure fire arms in FA/trade this past offseason

I've liked what I've seen from the young guys this spring and am not really that worried about the starting 5. The issue is what happens when injury strikes in the rotation AND the bullpen. Slim pickings after that

I think there is going to be a big time reliance on the pen to provide more innings than usual this year.  Oddly enough, the halos have the third fewest relief innings in baseball over the past four years so I think that will change.  Early in the year I could see them making a ton of roster moves to keep the pen fresh and find the hot hand.  

Between the high powered offense and the possibility of having quite a few trips to the pen, we are going to see marathon games this year.  

Mota brought up the point that the first time through the lineup, the hitters have a hard time with Skaggs' fastball but the second time they pounce (this was mentioned before it happened) and sure enough...they pounced.  If Skaggs can't get past that, we might have our new closer in a few years.