• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ervin looking to sign 1 year deal before Opening Day

jshep

At this point, the Angels should seriously look at this option......yeah, I know our minor league system is depleted and losing a top draft pick won't help that situation......but, really, look at our rotation right now.......a one year deal with Santana has to be better than what we have..........

of course, Santana could wind up back in KC but sort of doubt that......

How has Skaggs looked in ST?  Can we count on him for the rotation along with Santiago, I guess......

this rotation looks like a third place team (85 wins) to me.

Obvious question is, is Santana worth the 1st round pick.  We know about what we would get from Santana.  What is the bust rate for 1st round picks?  Read recently that one reason the Halo farm system gets no respect is that it gets most of its value from later rounds, so when "analists" (sic) look at the farm they don't see a lot of productivity from the high rounds and therefore not a lot of players make the Billboard Hot 100, but there is much more productivity from the lower rounds-don't know if this is true or if this is rather common.

Kendrick-10th round

Aybar- Amateur Free Agent

Calhoun- 8th round

Bourjos- 10th round

Richards 1st round

Trout- 1st round

Conger-1st round (2006)

At this point, the Angels should seriously look at this option......yeah, I know our minor league system is depleted and losing a top draft pick won't help that situation......but, really, look at our rotation right now.......a one year deal with Santana has to be better than what we have..........

How has Skaggs looked in ST?  Can we count on him for the rotation along with Santiago, I guess......

I agree that the Angels should look at him.  But if they do seriously consider him, it has to be for more than 1 year.  I would say at least 4 but I'd be more comfortable with 5 years at around 5/$50-$60 million.  That's the amount of control you would have in the MLB of a first rounder.  Of course not all first rounders do anything in the MLB.  So 4 or 5 of benefit (barring an injury), over 6 of maybe might help IMO would be worth it.  

But not one.

Sign him then trade a middle infielder for minor league talent

if the angels give up their 1st round pick for anybody, much less to reacquire a player one year after letting him leave due to ineffectiveness, then i will personally go up to anaheim and find dipoto. i'm not saying what i'd do, but he wouldn't be happy to see me and neither would his rectum.

edit: what the f* is wrong with you people that you even want to acquire santana, much less give up a first round pick?  have we forgotten how much he sucked? 50-60 million?

Edited by ukyah

Obvious question is, is Santana worth the 1st round pick.  We know about what we would get from Santana.  What is the bust rate for 1st round picks?  Read recently that one reason the Halo farm system gets no respect is that it gets most of its value from later rounds, so when "analists" (sic) look at the farm they don't see a lot of productivity from the high rounds and therefore not a lot of players make the Billboard Hot 100, but there is much more productivity from the lower rounds-don't know if this is true or if this is rather common.

Kendrick-10th round

Aybar- Amateur Free Agent

Calhoun- 8th round

Bourjos- 10th round

Richards 1st round

Trout- 1st round

Conger-1st round (2006)

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/one-in-six-draft-picks-will-click/

In short, 73% of first rounders according to BA, with 39% lasting more than 3 years.  Quality of the player though is another question.

Santana probably NOT worth a first round pick.........one year rental essentially for a first round pick......

but at this point......I guess the choice is, do we just write off the rotation, be satisfied with a third place type team and finish and at least make an attempt which may doom us to third place status in the future as well........hard to say.

the problem with MLB these days is the future always seems to be NOW because there's really not as much incentive to sign / draft good young talent if you can't keep them (Oakland A's come to mind)......back in the day, it meant everything -- you drafted the guy and kept him.......now you draft the guy, nurture his development through the minor leagues, have him break into the SHOW and maybe even have a break out year followed by another good season only to lose the guy to free agency........oh well.

Yeah, Santana NOT worth a draft pick.......I agree..........but we will all agree on April 20th or so when the Angels are down 7 to 0 in the first inning of a Blanton start.........

I wouldn't sign Santana to a long term (five year) deal -- no way.

perhaps a one plus one, incentive laden deal.......but he can do better elsewhere.

and, yeah, I have to agree NOT worth a draft pick.........

but when we're having rotation issues as early as May and Santana has pitched fairly well for some other team........well..........yep -- WAIT TIL NEXT YEAR TIME.

Looking to 2014 -- how many of you Angels fans are kind of tired from being out of the race by June/ July the past two years? -- more of the same in 2014?

I think they should

I would have much higher hopes of the rotation not being one of the top 5 worst in baseball if they signed Santana. Is it worth a pick? I would say so.

I mostly agree with you, Vladdy, but I don't think Ervin is worth losing a pick. This team has suffered from exporting young talent, and I'd like to imagine the front office realizes that. However, if Ervin is still available in June, then I'd like to see him signed.

Realistically, Jerry won't be signing anymore players this off season—and he seems pretty confident with the scraps he currently has.

Edited by failos

ervin has specifically stated that he wants to sign before the season and is therefore tied to draft pick compensation. a definite and absolute no, for the angels.

if he were to remain unsigned until after the draft, and would no longer be tied to any draft picks, then sign him for a year for all i care. giving up the draft pick and any long term deal would be extremely ill advised.

Ukyah, if they sign him you can always trade someone for minor league solid prospect depth. I would venture to say that the draft is such a crap shoot that you'd be better off trading for a minor leaguer that has proven his worth as a prospect. Remember that Callaspo got us Green who was a top 15 pick. I'm not saying Green is great I'm just saying that if you trade Howie or Aybar you could expect a solid prospect or two that are close to being ready.

Ukyah, if they sign him you can always trade someone for minor league solid prospect depth. I would venture to say that the draft is such a crap shoot that you'd be better off trading for a minor leaguer that has proven his worth as a prospect. Remember that Callaspo got us Green who was a top 15 pick. I'm not saying Green is great I'm just saying that if you trade Howie or Aybar you could expect a solid prospect or two that are close to being ready.

If Howie or Aybar could net two solid prospects, they would've been dealt instead of Trumbo.

Just because there haven't been many impact players picked at 15th doesn't mean whoever we draft will flop. This years draft class has the potential to the best since 2011 and is deep with pitching, something the farm system really needs.

Edited by SoWhat