• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ervin looking to sign 1 year deal before Opening Day

jshep

Ukyah, if they sign him you can always trade someone for minor league solid prospect depth. I would venture to say that the draft is such a crap shoot that you'd be better off trading for a minor leaguer that has proven his worth as a prospect. Remember that Callaspo got us Green who was a top 15 pick. I'm not saying Green is great I'm just saying that if you trade Howie or Aybar you could expect a solid prospect or two that are close to being ready.

i 100% disagree with you strad, and although the draft is difficult to assess it's not a crapshoot as some would like to believe. first round talents are first round talents because of tangible attributes. you don't trade them away or relinquish their rights for anything less than a terrific young star FA. all the evidence is on my side.

It isn't just the first round pick, it's the slot money that comes along with it. If they sign Santana, that pick and that money are gone, leaving them without their best pick in the draft, and with less money to sign their other picks.

That wasn't much of an issue in 2013 but I'd say that was an anomaly. It's unlikely they sign all but one pick again.

Yes, the Angels doesn't have much pitching depth, but Ervin is not the answer either.

Ervin made 95 starts in the past 3 years, he went 29W-35L  30%, Weaver made 87 starts, went 49W-21L  56%, Wilson made 101 starts, went 46W-24L 45%.

If I am the GM, I am not gonna give up a 1st for a pitcher who can only win 30% of his starts.

Unless the Angels are signing a legit #2, otherwise it's not worth the pick.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/03/ervin-santana-seeks-to-sign-one-year-deal-before-opening-day.html

I wonder if you could put language in a contract preventing a team from making a qualifying offer in this case?

According to an exchange of tweets I had with Ken Rosenthal, it is not possible for this clause to be written into the contract.

https://twitter.com/SLBeesFan/status/441972089667338240

i 100% disagree with you strad, and although the draft is difficult to assess it's not a crapshoot as some would like to believe. first round talents are first round talents because of tangible attributes. you don't trade them away or relinquish their rights for anything less than a terrific young star FA. all the evidence is on my side.

I don't think so. I checked the 2009 draft, the draft that Mike Trout was part of. Here are the first round draft picks that year. Besides Trout and Steven Strasburg, how many has anyone even heard of?

1 Stephen Strasburg Washington Nationals Right-handed pitcher San Diego State

2 Dustin Ackley Seattle Mariners Outfielder North Carolina

3 Donavan Tate San Diego Padres Outfielder Cartersville High School (GA)

4 Tony Sanchez Pittsburgh Pirates Catcher Boston College

5 Matt Hobgood Baltimore Orioles Right-handed pitcher Norco High School (CA)

6 Zack Wheeler San Francisco Giants Right-handed pitcher East Paulding High School (GA)

7 Mike Minor Atlanta Braves Left-handed pitcher Vanderbilt

8 Mike Leake Cincinnati Reds Right-handed pitcher Arizona State

9 Jacob Turner Detroit Tigers Right-handed pitcher Westminster Christian Academy (MO)

10 Drew Storen Washington Nationals[Compensation 1] Right-handed pitcher Stanford

11 Tyler Matzek Colorado Rockies Left-handed pitcher Capistrano Valley High School (CA)

12 Aaron Crow Kansas City Royals Right-handed pitcher Fort Worth Cats/Missouri

13 Grant Green Oakland Athletics Shortstop Southern California

14 Matt Purke* Texas Rangers Left-handed pitcher Klein High School (TX)

15 Alex White Cleveland Indians Right-handed pitcher North Carolina

16 Bobby Borchering Arizona Diamondbacks Third baseman Bishop Verot High School (FL)

17 A. J. Pollock Arizona Diamondbacks[Compensation 2] Outfielder Notre Dame

18 Chad James Florida Marlins Left-handed pitcher Yukon High School (OK)

19 Shelby Miller St. Louis Cardinals Right-handed pitcher Brownwood High School (TX)

20 Chad Jenkins Toronto Blue Jays Right-handed pitcher Kennesaw State

21 Jiovanni Mier Houston Astros Shortstop Bonita High School (CA)

22 Kyle Gibson Minnesota Twins Right-handed pitcher Missouri

23 Jared Mitchell Chicago White Sox Outfielder Louisiana State

24 Randal Grichuk Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim[Compensation 3] Outfielder Lamar Consolidated High School (TX)

25 Mike Trout Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim[Compensation 4] Outfielder Millville Senior High School (NJ)

26 Eric Arnett Milwaukee Brewers Right-handed pitcher Indiana

27 Nick Franklin Seattle Mariners[Compensation 5] Shortstop Lake Brantley High School (FL)

28 Reymond Fuentes Boston Red Sox Outfielder Fernando Callejo High School (P.R.)

29 Slade Heathcott New York Yankees[Compensation 6] Outfielder Texas High School (TX)

30 LeVon Washington* Tampa Bay Rays Second baseman Buchholz High School (FL)

31 Brett Jackson Chicago Cubs Outfielder California

32 Tim Wheeler Colorado Rockies[Compensation 7]    Outfielder    Sacramento State

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan