• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels moving to Tustin?

HBMike

I am enjoying the predictable responses about Arte and COA.  Arte has a team, resources, imagination and big balls to take financial risks.  I can respect that considering my conservative fiscal approach.  I would have survived the depression, Arte would have made bank.

Separate question about the Tustin airbase.  Are the blimp hangers historical structures?  If so, I do not think they can be demolished.  Would affect the stadium location?  Sorry, it has been a long time since I saw the area.

No!!!! Not the District!!! I live right by there and won't go there unless I have too and that's without any stadium crowds. On a normal Saturday or Sunday during shopping hours it takes 15 minutes to get out of their parking lot. They have to have traffic people direct traffic to even get it at that level. I have never seen a worse designed shopping center. The Block and Spectrum are so much better designed and they are 10-15 years older. 

Eaterfan is right. The District is a friggin' logistical nightmare. Stadium traffic would cause that place to implode on itself.

I am enjoying the predictable responses about Arte and COA.  Arte has a team, resources, imagination and big balls to take financial risks.  I can respect that considering my conservative fiscal approach.  I would have survived the depression, Arte would have made bank.

Separate question about the Tustin airbase.  Are the blimp hangers historical structures?  If so, I do not think they can be demolished.  Would affect the stadium location?  Sorry, it has been a long time since I saw the area.

Not sure the protection it receives.  

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/oct/14/local/la-me-airship-hangars-20131015

At 17 stories tall, 1,000 feet long and 300 feet wide, the hangars are two of the world's largest free-standing wooden structures. Both are listed in the Register of National Historic Places.

Thanks for the find.  It looks like a teardown unless some philanthropic group intervenes.  That's too bad, I always thought they were cool.

How close are they together?  Integrate them into the stadium facade, perhaps?  Keep the historical value and it can integrate nicely with a modern stadium. 

You haven't read what the Angels are asking the CoA for did you?  I can see why the Mayor is opposed to it.  It brings ZERO money to the CoA.  just like right now, the CoA gets zero money.

"A recent Economic Impact Study, completed for the city, estimates that Anaheim reaped $3.6 million in tax revenues in 2012 from guests and visiting teams staying in hotels, eating hot dogs and buying Angels gear."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/city-528477-stadium-angels.html

Who is going to pay for this NFL stadium? The city of Anaheim doesn't have the money, also the NFL wants to be in LA not OC. 

Who is going to pay for this NFL stadium? The city of Anaheim doesn't have the money, also the NFL wants to be in LA not OC. 

Pfft, anaheim IS in LA. Hasnt the NFL heard about our name change?

"A recent Economic Impact Study, completed for the city, estimates that Anaheim reaped $3.6 million in tax revenues in 2012 from guests and visiting teams staying in hotels, eating hot dogs and buying Angels gear."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/city-528477-stadium-angels.html

Right now Arte and City of Anaheim should be concerned about the economic impact of missing the playoffs again. Playoffs and the World Series always bring a huge financial windfall to the team and the local economy. The impact of the four year playoff drought has definitely hurt Arte's leverage with the city. Maybe Arte thought that signing Albert Pujols would all lead to playoffs, championships, hotels and restaurants. 

I am sure they will work something out with the city of Anaheim, but to make Arte out to be greedy in this is laughable. He is a business man and he is willing to put out $150 million of his own money to fix, by todays standards, a very old stadium. All he is asking for is the ability to make that money back with development, which by the way is something that would also benefit the city. I am guessing that Arte sees the possibility of adding revenue as a chance to continue to build a competitive team, one that makes it into the playoffs.

well, I'm tired of going back and forth on this.

the point is, the City of Anaheim presented the proposal to the Angels,  the proposal (that's now being opposed by the Mayor and others) was approved by a vote of the city council and now's there's back-tracking (apparently) on the part of some.

So Arte and the Angels get criticized because they are frustrated by the COA making a proposal that key members of the city are now backing away from. (To be fair to the Mayor of Anaheim, he voted NO when the proposal was before the city council -- but as Mayor he needs to represent the city's official position, not his own).

The City of Anaheim DOES get tax revenue from the presence of the Angels at the ballpark -- all the concessions, food and otherwise.

As for the proposal and the 'rebate ' (if you want to call it that) for the SURROUNDING PARKING LOT PROPERTY -- I think you really need to look a the 'development prospect history' of that / those surrounding parcel(s).......this is the so-called Platinum Triangle area -- the City of Anaheim has tried (very UNSUCCESSFULLY) over the years to entice a developer to develop retail businesses, restaurants and hotels on this/ these parcel(s) -- it was all part of the pitch to the NFL for a football stadium on the site -- another failure -- so now what the COA is offering (or maybe not, because they're back-tracking) is to give ARTE the development potential of those parcels and help finance it was the additional (not existing -- BTW can anyone count to ZERO? Because that's the amount of property taxes paid (and currently being collected) on city owned real property (like the parcel(s) we are talking about)......using the increased property tax rebate to finance a development project is/was common place in California primarily with redevelopment agencies (Which have now been all phased out for the future with the current ones trying to hold on but in a death struggle with the State over property tax dollars in a series of lawsuits by various redevelopment agencies vs. the State) -- so it's pretty common to finance projects this way -- whether a development agreement with the Angels that back-doors 'redevelopment type property tax increment financing' passes muster is litigation with the state (and school districts and counties, special districts) waiting to happen..

Long story, longer -- City of Anaheim DOES receive current tax revenue benefit from the Angels -- primarily sales tax and I assume some 'use tax' (based on the value of the lease -- not the stated $1 per year price - the value) as well.

What the City offered makes some sense from both sides. It may or may not be acceptable to Arte/Angels but to have the proposal jerked away after it's been approved by the city is cause for the Angels to seriously consider whether they want to continue a business relationship with COA.

The Angels options are limited -- but IMO, if the COA thinks they can just jerk Arte around and not raise his ire to the point where he helps finance a move elsewhere with willing suitors -- well, IMO I wouldn't test it if I were the City of Anaheim --

and if Anaheim can make more money by selling the entire Angels Stadium property including the adjoining undeveloped parcels to Disney for parking lots -- well, good for them.  I doubt that Disney would be willing to buy the property and SHARE any parking fee proceeds however.

Considering that Tustin is only 10 miles from Anaheim, making the team not significantly different than now in terms of accessibility, I would think Angels fans would love the idea of a new ballpark (and new revenue).

Angel Stadium is getting kind of dumpy.

Travel around the majors at some of the new parks and you'll like Angel Stadium even less.

Considering that Tustin is only 10 miles from Anaheim, making the team not significantly different than now in terms of accessibility, I would think Angels fans would love the idea of a new ballpark (and new revenue).

Angel Stadium is getting kind of dumpy.

Travel around the majors at some of the new parks and you'll like Angel Stadium even less.

Agree Jeff.

I'd love for the Angels to have a new home.

I've been to Petco, AT &T and Miller Park, which all have a completely different feel than Angels Stadium.

I love Angels Stadium but I definitely think they can make some improvements. They've needed a new scoreboard for years and still have yet to make any sort of improvement.

I'm hoping they can make a new stadium that kicks ass or stay at the current location and renovate the hell out of if.

Everything should be put on a ballot.

Should the city sell bonds to fund construction of a new baseball stadium on the existing property?  YES or NO

Should the city lease out the stadium parking lot for $1 per year for 66 years for development?  YES or NO

Should the city sell the stadium parking lot for development?  YES or NO

I like the hangers incorporated into the stadium idea. The Friars did that with the warehouse building beyond the LF fence.

Change the name back to California Angels and appease all sides. That's what I remember when first following them in 1966.

Just looking at the pics up thread, they appear to have an arc from one to the other. Kinda like an outfield where one is in left field and the other is in right.  Or perhaps structural landmarks that define the entrance to the stadium.  Team stores and kidz zone and Angels Museum in the two hangars.  Along with bars and restaraunts of course!

Those hangers need to be pulled down so the land around them can be utilized. Some architecture is iconic and is valuable enough to preserve. These are just utilitarian military structures that no longer have a purpose. Putting some emotional attachment to them is like not wanting to pull down a rickety tool shed in the middle of a field. Just because it's been there a long time doesn't mean it is valuable anymore.