• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels moving to Tustin?

HBMike

? I don't get it

What's not to get? Did you click the link? Angels started talks with Tustin about a new stadium. 

Angels owner Arte Moreno meets with Tustin officials to talk stadium Arte Moreno, at 'stalemate' with Anaheim over Angel Stadium, met with Tustin officials last week, to 'explore all of our options,' a consultant says.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0216-angels-stadium-tustin-20140216,0,1276246.story#ixzz2tRHQQsjP

Edited by HBMike

Two birds with one stone here.

1- Angels build a new stadium and develop an awesome bar/restaurant downtown atmosphere along the new stadium.

2- The current stadium is torn down and a NFL stadium is built in its place. 

Win-win for everyone.

Who is going to pay for this NFL stadium? The city of Anaheim doesn't have the money, also the NFL wants to be in LA not OC. 

Who is going to pay for this NFL stadium? The city of Anaheim doesn't have the money, also the NFL wants to be in LA not OC. 

Bringing the NFL back to Southern California (not SD) has a lot of money in it. Anaheim makes sense for the NFL. The land is there and some team will pay for it. LA simply has no place to put a team right now. All of the land/environmental issues will continue to hold it up. Plus, the new train/bus hub thats being built between Angel Stadium and Honda Center is going to be appealing for an NFL team.

Los Angeles Angels of Tustin.......has a ring to it.

Anaheim had better watch out -- the city council (and Mayor who is the one balking at the current proposal which might be acceptable to Arte) there may be able to accomplish what many think is the near impossible: LOSE THE ANGELS TO A NEIGHBORING COMMUNITY.

who said elected officials can't accomplish nearly impossible things??????

city officials are great......they calculate the lost revenue in terms of how much MORE they could get from charging the Angels more........

yet, they fail to calculate the total LOSS of ALL revenue if the Halos ended up moving elsewhere to a community that would gladly give them a low to no rent deal for having all the property tax and sales tax flow into their coffers......

I would like to see the total (direct) revenue the Halos generate for the City of Anaheim between property tax and sales tax -- and that doesn't not even count the indirect revenue from increase bed tax for folks staying in local hotels, sales tax from having dinner and drinks at local restaurants and buying stuff from stores around the area while in and around the stadium.......

that revenue generated figure could easily revert to ZERO.  Then I want to hear the city financial wizards explain -- 'well, we could have had more............"

I know that area very well. Reaching it from the 5 freeway isn't that bad. But good luck trying to get there from the 55 and especially the 405. Jamboree coming from that direction is already congested. It would be interesting how The Irvine Company feels about a stadium moving into their territory. Not sure if they own the land (since they already own a lot of it around there), but will try to find a way to get revenue. I still think the Angels best option is to work out a deal and stay in Anaheim.

The absolute best deal for the Angels and for Anaheim is to work out a deal.

There is a deal that's been supported by the City Council which may be acceptable to Arte and the Angels but some forces, like the Mayor, are in opposition to it.

That's fine, I guess -- but what the opposition may achieve is the Angels moving to another site (Tustin) which may work but would not be nearly ideal and/or practical as to where they already are -- Angel Stadium in Anaheim.

So the Angels are Anaheim's to lose and they may just do that.

I'm guessing they are discussing the land by The District in Tustin.  Would be a good site.  Both that site and the one at the Great Park in Irvine have freeway access and a train station.  The transportation station in Irvine is really nice and provides more than just train service.

Los Angeles Angels of Tustin.......has a ring to it.

Anaheim had better watch out -- the city council (and Mayor who is the one balking at the current proposal which might be acceptable to Arte) there may be able to accomplish what many think is the near impossible: LOSE THE ANGELS TO A NEIGHBORING COMMUNITY.

who said elected officials can't accomplish nearly impossible things??????

city officials are great......they calculate the lost revenue in terms of how much MORE they could get from charging the Angels more........

yet, they fail to calculate the total LOSS of ALL revenue if the Halos ended up moving elsewhere to a community that would gladly give them a low to no rent deal for having all the property tax and sales tax flow into their coffers......

I would like to see the total (direct) revenue the Halos generate for the City of Anaheim between property tax and sales tax -- and that doesn't not even count the indirect revenue from increase bed tax for folks staying in local hotels, sales tax from having dinner and drinks at local restaurants and buying stuff from stores around the area while in and around the stadium.......

that revenue generated figure could easily revert to ZERO.  Then I want to hear the city financial wizards explain -- 'well, we could have had more............"

You haven't read what the Angels are asking the CoA for did you?  I can see why the Mayor is opposed to it.  It brings ZERO money to the CoA.  just like right now, the CoA gets zero money.

Jeebus!  Worst bargaining ploy ever.  Tustin?!

The Angels aren't going anywhere and both Moreno and Anaheim know it.  Good luck building a new stadium ANYWHERE in Orange County, unless it's entirely funded with private money.  And neither Moreno nor anyone else is going to do that.  One of the main reasons a team's owner moves a team is to get a new stadium with taxpayers footing the bill.  Orange County is just about the last place in the U.S. where that's going to happen.  (For now.)

ZERO money?

Anaheim doesn't get sales tax from the sales of items at the ballpark?

I assume the Angels pay some sort of occupancy tax ?

Also, isn't the situation that the City Council has already approved a proposal that may be acceptable to the Angels but the Mayor and others oppose it (for the reasons you cite)?

I don't think the current situation is that the City of Anaheim gets no financial benefit from the Angels being a tenant at Angel Stadium even if it's no rent situation for the Stadium use.

Sure the City can look to additional revenue that they could generate by charging rent and insisting on a percentage share of either ticket sales or parking -- that's he way some government folks think --- look at only the additional revenue side -- what they sometimes miss is what happens to EXISTING revenue and benefits if the team leaves the city.

If the Angels leave Anaheim, there would certainly be a loss a revenue -- there would also be a significant adverse public relations fallout from being the city that LOST the ANGELS (and the Rams).

But, hey, if the City wants to try to squeeze more revenue out of Arte and the Angels  -- a relationship that is already somewhat frosty -- that's their prerogative -- just make sure the Mayor and City Officials responsible agree to be the ones to step up and explain why the Angels left (are leaving) Anaheim when the time comes.....

I don't think Arte is a guy to play chicken with -- but the City's tangled with him before........how did that work out again?